Pioneer HPM - 100 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 20, 2017]
Thomas Ring
Audio Enthusiast

I could never understand the passion for the Pioneer HPM 100. I picked up a pair a year ago and powered them with a Sony da555es. Tried to like them but couldn't. I recently bought a 35 WPC Sherwood S2730cp receiver circa 1983 for $2.00 at a garage sale and tried it with the HPM100's for a laugh. I am stunned. The Pioneers came alive. The clarity, the openness, the detail are amazing. Vocal is wonderful. MUCH to be said for old fashioned two channel stereo sound. I am now a HPM 100 fan and believer because of a 35 year old receiver.

[May 06, 2016]
dewey
Audio Enthusiast

I have had my HPM 100's since 1977 while in Germany in the ARMY, they still look pristine & sound as good as the day I bought them, I have a pair of "liquid cooled, Acoustic Monitor DBIV speakers" & the HPM's blow them away, but they do sound good, the HPM 100's are tried, trued & tested, & THEY STILL PASS THE TEST!!! Wouldn't take anything for them, irreplaceable!!!!!!!!!

[Jan 11, 2016]
Brendan C
Casual Listener

I've been searching pretty hard for these for almost 3 years now. I live in Canada and I've done numerous province wide searches and have only come across about 3 pairs in the Toronto area. I eventually settled on a pair of JBL Decade 36's. I've been using the L36's for about a year now and have loved them. They had the bass response I wanted and had a really full sound. Yesterday I was out with my lady shopping and we stopped in at a Value Village and there on the floor was a pair of Pioneer HPM-100's for $29. I sat on them until an employee walked by and bought them instantly. I couldn't believe it. Took them home and they worked. They just blew my JBL's out of the water. These things split the EQ like none other. They're so true sounding. It's tough to explain, they just sound amazing. They're pretty damn amazing and they totally live up to everything I thought they'd be. I just have to clean the gravy and random gunk thats on them now. Cheers!

[Jun 25, 2015]
Trevor Kendrick
Audio Enthusiast

Wow! It sounds like a ton of similar opinions about these old Pioneer HPM's. I picked up a pair by chance about a year ago at a good friend's house. I was at his house, we were chatting, he's a guitar player, and I had a Roland BOSS micro monitor that I had recently picked up at a garage sale for $5. Long story short, I offered to sell him the Roland for next to nothing but he was saving to buy a rental property. On the way out of his garage I noticed a pair of speakers stacked in the corner, grilles still on and just sitting there taking up space. Didn't think much about it until I got home and did a little research and then obviously texted him and asked what he might be doing with those beauties! His first response by text was "I'll trade you straight up for the Roland" which was followed by "Wait, those are my brother in law's, let me check with my wife first" followed by "He said you can have them if you want"! A quick trip later and these were in the back seat of my van, sending pictures while I was traveling for work with friends saying "You need to put a seat belt on those!" Prior to this my stereo consisted of some miscellaneous equipment capped off by a pair of old school Micro Acoustics FRM-1A loudspeakers which are fine speakers but I was itching to try something different. About a week later I switched my entire system to a Yamaha CA-810 receiver (with the matching tuner) that I had picked up at a garage sale for $40 and with a nice kenwood pre-amp and heaved the HPM's inside, hooked it all up. Holy #$&^*&^)!!!! Amazing. Period. These are truly fantastic speakers. I'm done looking for that magic pair of speakers. I have what I wanted and I am truly content. The Yamaha puts out just the right amount of power for these old HPM's. Yes, these are speakers that even when cranked halfway on my old Yammie friends stand in disbelief at that magical combination of bass and clarity.

[Mar 19, 2015]
Joey
Audio Enthusiast

This is to J Wald. The only place I've seen like the one you described is the Audio Club in Frankfort Germany. I bought all of my ,now vintage equipment there. You could just give them an equipment combination and go to the speaker room and listen. I bought a pair of HPM 100's there and actually carried them back to Friedburg in an army jeep believe it or not. That was in 1976. I have not used these speakers for over 30 years an hooked them up this week and they still sound great. I also have an SX 1050 receiver I'm gonna have to break it out next.

Whether or not you were talking about Germany, thanks any ways for the memories.

[Oct 15, 2014]
J Wald
Audio Enthusiast

In the early 70's, I worked with a guy that was WAY into his audio system. All components hanging from his ceiling by chain as to eliminate any unwanted noise. Macintosh, Bang and Olufsen, JBL L45's etc. All really nice stuff. I had purchased a system of my own, but wasn't real happy with the Altec Stonehenge 1's that I was using. My co-worker insisted that I replace them with JBL Century 100's, so off to the stereo store I went. They had a vast array of speakers, amp, receivers, and the rest, all mix and match with the push of a button. The JBL's sounded great, until I selected the newest speaker in the room; the Pioneer HPM 100's. OMG, it was like night and day. I hurriedly switched back to the JBL's and what sounded pristine just a moment earlier, now sounded like mud. The Pioneers were just that much better. I've had those speaker for 39 years, and they still sound great. I'll never sell them.

[Jul 01, 2014]

SG-9500 Equalizer
CT-F1000 Tape deck
Technics SL-2000
TEAC A-1200U Reel to Reel

Hooked it all up and plugged a laptop into it.

Everything powered up and working, started to play my long list of mp3 oldies.

Found a few old vinyl albums and some old 7" reels of tape, going to play them next

This Stuff still sounds great !

[Jun 25, 2014]
James Hembd

I own 6 Pioneer Hpm-100's All of them still functioning after
20+ years of service. No cheap foam to blow out. They were designed by
the best engineers in the business and still out perform with today's stereo's.
I have a newer 7 channel 120 watts per channel system with a subwoofer
hooked up via HDMI blueray with HD sound. It is like going out to the movies.
4 way adjustable tweeters and midrange. You can shake the walls if you want.
The best I have ever owned. Would not trade them for anything, Unless
I could find the 15" from the same year, which I have never tried.

[Sep 02, 2013]
Keith
AudioPhile

Wow! I will keep this short. I was in a thrift store in Manhattan, KS and saw some old beat up speakers on the floor. No grills and all the dust covers pushed in. I could see they were in fact Pioneer HPM 100s. The cabinets were beat up so I asked the guy how much. He said $20 I said $15 we split at $18! Got them home took a vacuum and pulled out the dust covers and these things are like everyone else says, just awesome. I say that because I own a pair of Klipschorns and they rock just as loud. If you can get some at a good price don't wait the build quality is second to none. They blow away anything in the sub $500 price range. Although the female approval factor might be low due to their size. I am now looking for a second pair not sure I will find any for $18.

[May 13, 2013]
NYC_GUY
AudioPhile

What a great repository of recollections about a great speaker. I just read all 60 reviews here.

In the late 70's, I was in Jr. high and my Father took me to get a new separate component system to upgrade from my compact stereo.

At first I purchased the lower priced house brand, (something similar to Verity) The speaker kept blowing out on the Technics 40 Watt receiver I bought at the time.

After a few exchanges the salesman and my Father agreed I had to spend more money and get the HPM-100's.

I used to run them on large steel stands at ear level, and oriented horizontally. I used foam rubber in between - I was a kid - what did I know.

As a matter of fact, a friend always used to tease my speakers as having boomy bass, as he had just gotten JBL 4311's.

Little did I realized the HPM's has similar or perhaps superior design heritage.

I never liked the spring terminals and eventually I bypassed them with OFC wire going direct to the crossover, and bypassing the level controls as well. Meaning a direct thicker gauge more modern wire direct from the crossover out the back of the speakers for 10 feet. I also rewired the crossover to mid and tweeter.

The speaker then truly came alive. I had since gone on to Quads ESL63's but was curious to see how good they could sound.

A few years later I made a long term loan of them to a friend (with the provision I might want them back someday) Every time I heard them at his house on a modest receiver, he had the best sound of any other friend I had (other than my new audiophile friends).

The kicker to this story is that after a number of audiophile speakers, I am back to owning Pioneer speakers again.

I own the TAD CR-1, which is an all out assault on the concept of a bookshelf monitor. I haven't heard anything at any audio show that compares to the true realism these Beryllium
mid/tweeters reproduce.

I have recently added another companies electrostatic supertweeter on top of them for even more added realism. It's amazing to hear the concept of what the HPM tried to do, actually accomplished.