Paradigm Reference Titan Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 15, 2009]
lars
Audio Enthusiast

I once had a pair of the origial titans,,, they were very nice,,, but bullit proof?? hardly,, they sounded as good as anything out there,,, exept for the exagerated bass,,,, even driven with a modest HK, receiver,,, with the bass knob baked off a bit they sounded boomy, and muddy at higher volume levels,,,, Ive since had a pair of polk R15s,,, using the same receiver,,,, and they easily smoke the titans i had,,,, bottom line,, they were good in there day,, if you liked a false exagerated bass sound,,,, Id rather have a speaker, at this price range, that sounds just as good, down low, as it does at higher spls, The polks, also have far better imageing,,, and handel high volumes much better,,,, without distorting, in the low end,,,, of course thats what you get,, when you have your cross overs made to exagerate the lows,,,,, as they did, with the titans,,,,

[Apr 27, 2009]
moretep

Price Paid: MSRP

Summary: One word to describe these speakers: solid. I've had the same pair of Paradigm Titans for over 10 years now. The speakers are versatile. They always sound great with all kinds of music and movies--the imaging is impressive as is the clarity and bass response.

The Titans are the best value speaker I've ever heard, and could easily go up against speakers costing 3-4 times as much!

[Apr 09, 2008]
niles300z
AudioPhile

Strength:

Imaging, Detail, Forgiveness, Clarity, Value, Listenability

There aren't more in my house.

Yes, it is true what they say. This is a serious speaker. I feel lucky to have had the pleasure of having a pair for the last 12 years. Even the version 1 is awesome. I haven't heard the new ceramic tweeters in the new models yet which they say is quicker...I love the old Vifa tweeters in this box. Between me and my cat we screwed up my first pair after ten years. The stands weren't solid enough, so I found a pair with bad surrounds and re-foamed them and used the old tweeters for a replacement in another set which breathed new life into a pair of lowly TLX model JBL. Anyway. Buy these. Especially for quieter casual listening or get a good sub and they are your every day baby's. Non fatiguing, forgiving. Crisp but not bright. And imaging!
Defined but not clinical. I've been playing with old Advents and Boston Acoustic classics and I can't tear my self from these after all this time.

Customer Service

Good but not Polk.

Similar Products Used:

Polk Rti15, Polk R10, R15, Athena, Boston A70, 150. Cizek, Large Advent. Klipsch SB-1

[May 03, 2007]
j416
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Exceptional clarity, inner detailing and tonal accuracy. Outstanding low level resolution of fine details. Nice big soundstage. Easy to drive.

Although the bass doesn't boom like the older pair I once tried, it is still a bit ripe at times. Not as warm and refined as British speakers costing well over $1000, but a lot better than anything near its price range that I heard.

I'm going to be brief as this review may be too little too late (sorry). Paradigm has recently revamped their product line and the Titans have been completely changed into a larger speaker.
I picked up a new pair of Version 3 speakers last fall after Version 4's were released. I got a nice discount as the dealer was looking to clear out stock as Version 4's were due to arrive.
When my highly regarded $1000 mini monitor speakers needed repairs, I used that time to audition some cheap speakers, which I intended to be temporary replacements. I auditioned 9 different bookshelf speakers ranging in price from $60 to $500/pr. The Titans were, by a wide margin, the best I heard. None of the other speakers, including some highly rated ones, challenged my existing speakers except for the Titans. However, I am not going to say that the Titans beat out $1000 dollar speakers. They don't have the appearance or the overall sonic refinement of a $1000 speaker but they are very close sonically.
Their cabinets are fairly pedestrian looking wood and the grills don't come off.
They are very easy to drive but are capable of revealing flaws upstream.
I once bought an earlier version of these speakers but returned them because of a muddy midrange and boomy bass. These Version 3's are much better, although I have since acquired much better stands to place them on.
The highest compliment I can pay to these speakers is that after my $1000 ones were repaired, I have now decided to keep the Paradigms with no regrets.

Similar Products Used:

System used is a Pioneer DV-578 and NAD C320BEE.
Other speakers considered (in order of preference): Paradigm Atom, Infinitiy Primus, B&W 303, Boston Acoustics CR77, Energy (2 models), Epos EL3, Insignia

[Dec 30, 2006]
Greg
Casual Listener

Strength:

Small package, big sound, good price.

v4 discontinued, v5 now at a higher price.

Titan v4 purchased at $299CAD.

I was looking for a pair of speakers to use in my office to listen to music and television. I gave up on acquiring something good at the big-box stores and ventured into a local HiFi shop.

After auditioning a few sets of speakers, I selected the Titans.. Why? Because it's amazing what they have done with these little boxes!

I brought them home and mounted in them the upper corners of my office and cranked them up with my old Onkyo TX-SV414.. Sounded alright. Then after about a week of listening, whoa! They had broken in and everything sounded great.

I like them so much I went back recently and bought a second pair to use as rears in my home theatre system, and because the v4's are discontinued they were being sold at $199CAD.

[Mar 21, 2006]
uback007
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clear, with unprecedented soundstaging in this price range...look at the reviews on the Paradigm web site...You'll hear lots of folks with a lot better ears than mine say that they can run with models costing $1000.00 or more....They can!

Grilles are not removeable..(who cares?! -its not a big deal) Sound is wonderful with all types of music. Wait till you hear jazz through these babies! Sweet Lord!
!!!

OK, I'm going to keep this short and sweet. I have a friend who is a audio engineer in LA and he told me about these speakers. He is using them in his studio, recently replacing the famed Yahama NS-10M with the Titans...I spoke to him about components as I am putting together a modest home theartre...Anyway, I found a great shop that handles Paradigm near my home in Columbus and paid them a visit. I told them what my engineer friend had told me and they of course concurred to his sentiments about how wonderful this little speaker truly is. I had them set up several speakers out of the Paradigm arsenal and I blind tested each..Here were my findings...I really liked the Studio 40's, however, I didnt want to spend that much money as I just bought a new home...My next favorite was the Titans. Keep in mind I was conducting this test completely blind (not literally!) I had NO IDEA what I was hear until I narrowed things down and then the sales rep told me what they were...I actually picked the Titans over a lot of speakers that were considerably more money... So, I said wrap them up! I wanted the Rosenut finish, which my girlfriend loves the color, but they were out of stock, so they gave me the demos that I had heard for 20% off the list of $249.00 - They had just put them into the demo line-up the day before, so they were technically not even broken-in....In my humble opinion, you CANNOT GO WRONG picking up a pair of these gems! They sound killer, GREAT SOUNDSTAGING - I can't say enough wonderful things about them...they simply sound incredible for the money....Don't take my word for it...see, or shall I say, "hear" for yourself :-)

I LOVE MY TITANS AND AM SO GLAD THAT I LISTENED TO MY FRIEND'S RECOMMENDATION AND PICKED UP A PAIR!

Happy Listening!

Customer Service

Great shop here in Columbus, Audio Encounters!

B&W 600 S3
Energy
Polk

[Nov 01, 2005]
Writer2
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clarity without harshness Surprisingly big, full sound

Occasionally a little chesty Not the smallest bookshelf

After trying a number of different entry level bookshelf speakers in my office, without much satisfaction, I saw the good reviews for the Titan. When a pair became available on Ebay, I gave them a try. As an "enthusiast" but certainly not an audiophile, I have to report that the Titans are clearly better than the Polk R15s and Cambridge Soundworks M50s of this world. Better clarity, more base, and generally less of that thin, small box sound. While surely not the equal of a nice floor stander or a $1,000 bookshelf, this is a very, very formidable entry at the $200 price point. Frankly, I am stunned by how good the Titans are. For the record, I am driving them with an old HK3350. I like HK, but I have tried several speakers with it. The Titans are the difference.

Polk R15 Cambridge Soundworks M50

[Apr 16, 2005]
oddeoowphil38
AudioPhile

Strength:

Just a lot of sound from such a small speaker. Kinda hard to believe just how good the Titans reproduces sound. Well made and I like the look. I am a Paradigm fan 4life!!!!

Can't take the grilles off but what really matters is how they perform. Other than that--none.

Like you I have read many reviews and heard about the legengdary Titans. Lucky for me I got me a pair so here are my observations. I got to do and A B test with them not only with other paradigm speakers but with the B&W 602 s3's nad the Polk RTI4's. There was no doubt that the B&W's won hands down but they were $600 a pair. The mini's were a close second nad let me say the mini's kick butt!! However, I did not find the mini's to sound that much better than the Titans. True, the mini's were a lil more detailed and more accurate espeacially in the upper bass range but for the money nothing I have heard even comes close to the Titans. The polks were very close to the mini's but the mini's had a fuller sound with a tad bit more presence than the Polks. But, the Polks uses real wood veneer which is nice but not that big of a deal to me. Interestingly, the Studio 20's did not overly impress me but the Studio 40's sure did. Unfortunately, the Studio 40's are out of my price range but the Monitor 3's are and to be totally honest I preferred the monitor 3's over the mini's but not the Studio 40's. Save yourself some money and go buy the Titans unless you have the money to step up to the monitor 3's or studio 40's.

Similar Products Used:

Cerwin Vega, Pioneer, and etc.

[Apr 13, 2005]
sla429
AudioPhile

Strength:

Great sound. Friend shocker(they are looking for the sub)

Can't remove grills. Liked an earlier reviewier comments about driving speakers "naked"

I purchased these speakers to hold me over until I was able to find replacement for my JBL Century L-100. When I took them out of the box, I second guessed my decission. How could these small simple looking speakers sound good. I connected them to my Conrad Johnson SA-250 and Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 preamp and fired the up. My jaw hit the floor. I could not believe what I was hearing. Highs, midrange, soundstage, and yes Bass was excellent. These speakers are FUN to listen to. Its the music man and these speakers let you have it. I guess any future upgrades will be Paradigm.

JBL-L100, JBL-L19, Advent(large&small), Klipsch

[Feb 02, 2005]
kemotex
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Soft and warm sound. Very pleasant to listen to at medium volume levels. Satisfactory bass response in small rooms. Imaging improves with better components. (Right now I am listening to them at my computer table from quite close range, and the imaging and bass response are, of course, superb!)

Not for loud listening or large rooms, especially for dense passages in orchestral music.

My main system has Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers driven by Cambridge Audio A3 amp, Sony XA20ES CD player and Revox B160 tuner. I like Paradigm speakers, so when I wanted small speakers for my study to be connected to a Denon receiver I had, I listened to Atoms, Titans, and Mini Monitor at the dealer (also listened to B&W301 and 601 in another place but paradigms offered better value). The atoms sounded nice but not enough bass. So the real test was between the comparable Mini's and Titans. Well, they sounded different and offered better fit to different types of music. Titans were better with jazz, whereas Mini's were better with classical. Mini's were more open, more recessed, and cooler, with air around the instruments in dense classical passages. Titans were a lot warmer, however. I listen to both classical and jazz but what led me (and my wife, who was listening too) to prefer the Titans was the sound of violins; much warmer on Titans. I have found the violin sound (especially the period violins) to be harsh on the monitor series' tweeters. So we went along with the Titans (price was not a factor here, as the dealer had lightly used Mini's for a price that was close). At home they sound great. When tied to the Revox tuner they sounded clearer and firmer, suggesting that they will respond well to upgraded equipment upstream.

Monitor 9's.