Paradigm Reference 7seMk3 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 22, 2014]
Bryan Darlington
Audio Enthusiast

upper coaxial blown out twice...NOT OVERDRIVEN & same speakers blown every time

[Sep 10, 2013]
mecheng77
AudioPhile

This Review is for my 7se MkII

Fantastic speaker for all types of music, which is what makes these speakers so great but they excell at Rock, Pop and Rap. They are quite different from my Monitor 7, which sound more Front stage while the 7se are more center stage. The mid range is laid back so they are non fatiguing but those that want a midrange to be the extremely clear and present these are not the speakers for you. Instead, look at the Monitor, or Reference series. Soundstage is great, bass is very, very deep and tight, no need for a sub if they are placed properly. . Build quality is typical of most Candian made speakers it isw excellent. I've had my 7se mkii for over 20yrs and they still sound great I love Paradigms, life long fan for me.

[Sep 07, 2009]
Ian
Audio Enthusiast

I brought these speakers from richer sounds for about £379.00 maybe a bit less but we are talking about 13 years ago now.
Apart from blowning one tweeter and having a mare terying to get the part replaced these speakers have stood the test of time.
I recently trie to replace them with Linn Komponent 110 speakers but the Linns made it back into the box in less than 2 hours and connected the Paradigms back up. OK they lack some of the highend clarity of the Linn's but due to the blown tweeter i can put some of that down to that.
The Paradigms giive masses of bass and no need for a seperate sub. These speakers kick out sounds that speakers twice the price would love to achieve.
Alll round they are a good speaker good value good sound and for those on a budget you can not go wrong.

[May 25, 2009]
karister
Audio Enthusiast

This is a excellent speaker with very detailed sound to it. Awesome deep and broad sound stage, and very neutral and life-like mid-range. Very crisp detailed highs never harsh, and very deep hard hitting bass and if your using the correct equipment to power them no need of a sub for the bottom end. They produce an awesome bass extension to them from the 6 1/2" drivers. I'm very happy with them as they have a very small foot print, but room filling and pleasing sound stage. Ever find a pair in good condition go for it as they are very nice speakers.

[May 10, 2007]
BigLion
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Bi-wire, well built, beautiful looking.
Great imaging, tight & punchy bass, nice soft dome tweeter, sweet & smooth vocal.

a bit lacking of detail

It is excellent speaker, the best at its price range.
the sound is live and neutral, imaging is great. The bass response is excellent, tight, punchy and nerver boomby. Vocal is smooth, warm and sweet with beautiful highs.

The first i connect Paradigm with Marrantz PM80 + CD-67SE, the sound is very good - beautiful highs, sweet & smooth vocal, good bass but the low end of bass not tight as i want.
When change Ampli to Aura VA-200 Stingray, oh .. every thing is excellent. The bass is tight and punchy, the mid as not weet as Marantz but smoother, the soundstage is better. Thanks the Aura !

B&W 630, Monitor Audio Monitor IV, Tannoy 607MkII

[Mar 09, 2006]
dude8370
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Bi-Amping and the Bass responce!

Nothing at all, except can be a little "muggy" in some area but RARELY is, your amp/reciever should take care of this.

These speakers are meant for delivering bass! there is absoulutly no need for a sub. They are ideal for home theater and will just blow you away, don't be surprised if your neighbor calls! ;). These are true auidophile speakers and are some of the best at its price range. I highly recomend it!

Paradigm Atom (v.3)
NHT Super Zero

[Sep 28, 2002]
mecheng
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Tight defined bass down to 20Hz, good imaging, nice highs, never boomy.

Can be a bit muddy in mids, not bright enough.

Excellent neutral speaker with lots of tight low bass. Not rock concert like sound; rather a smooth sound that never irratates.. just accurate.

[Feb 20, 1997]
Eric Mitchell
an Audio Enthusiast

Already seen some good reviews for these here. I recently acquired a pair and have been pleased. The base response is excellent. Soundstaging is quite good for a speaker in this price range. Mid range is a bit lacking, and I've heard that bi-wiring might help this. I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I was just recently able to convince my wife of the validity of $100 + speaker cables. Now I have to explain why I need another pair :-) Rock and Jazz are very nice through the 7's, and classical seems fine (at least to me, others find them cold). It comes down to taste (heard that a milion times) but I really feel that they are quite a bargain. I got mine dirt cheap from a place that was dropping the Paradigm line (no problem with Paradigm, just had too many speaker product lines). You should be able to get a good deal on them almost anywhere. Overall, a great entry-level speaker.

[Apr 03, 2001]
Chris
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

everything

a little muddy

I have owned these speakers for @5 yrs. now and I still love them. I was originally gonna buy Cerwin Vegas' but a friend in the industry said I should try these "real" speakers. I'm glad I did otherwise I probably would have never gotten out of the "mass market black hole".
They sounded great right out of the box and they continue to do so. I think they have a great balance. Maybe a little muddy but not anything you can't work out with placement. I have a bright room, I think, so the "mellow" top end that others here have found gives me a good balance. I am driving them bi wired, with an old Phase Linear 400 amp that I got for free, and I hate, but they sound great through it and in control.
I do wish they had a bit more of the front to back imaging but maybe I don't have them far enough out from the back wall (12").
I have a friend that brought over his Studio 40's and they didn't have the bass and seemed too bright in my room. They did seem a little more tight and they bettered mine in the mid-range. In his house however they sound excellent and the brightness is not an issue so I figure it's the room.
Like I stated before, I really have enjoyed owning these speakers and they will be extremely hard to let go of when it comes time to up-grade. They have become like two faithful old friends that continue to do their duty when ever I need them to. (whoops, maybe that was too sentimental but hey I don't have a dog).
They are a great product and if you ever come across them give them a listen.

[Jun 26, 2001]
chris
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

heavy, well built, solid, good crossover networks, beautiful looking drivers (rear side of driver), nice soft dome tweeter. high power handling

lacking mid, imaging is not great on older amplifiers,
great imaging on new amps, even if the amp is a kenwood.. :P

I purchased these speakers about a year ago at a local pawn shop, they had one problem with them, there was a hole in the suspention, i repaired it by melting a patch over the hole, they look great again, 80 dollars was a steel if you ask me. these speakers are currently briged with a pair of paradigm titans.
they are running @ 3.5 Ohms,
the amp is puting well over 200RMS to each side.
running on a couple year old sony ES amplifier.
Being briged makes the speakers sound awsome,
VERY BRIGHT, great imaging, great mid. and i have 3 subs perfectly matched to these speakers,
so they can push lots of power when they are given proper signal.! :)
if you find them for 350USD, or Cheaper, listen to them!

JMLAB, PARADIGM TITAN,