NHT 1.8 Floorstanding Speakers

1.8

te2rx   Casual Listener [Feb 04, 2007]

The sweet spot is small. The bass is tubby around the 100hz area, but you shouldn't expect miracles from 5'' woofers to begin with. The tubby bass either has to be EQ'ed down and/or paired up with a subwoofer to cover the lower end of the bass if you want to balance things. Adding a subwoofer actually does miracles to the NHT 1.8, as it serves to make its dry character more warm and colorful.

Nice speakers with a bright character. In that sense its strengths are also its weaknesses... they're sharp, detailed, clear and dry. If you like that kind of sound, the NHT 1.8 are totally great. If you're looking for a warmer room-filling sound, this is not what you want. For $200 used, it was a total steal.

quantran   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

Great bass response. Superb imaging and dynamic. Good looking too.

Upper midrange was a bit thin before I replaced the tweeter. Small sweet spot.

I replaced the tweeters with the soft dome version used in newer NHT models like the Superzero, Superone, etc. Together with that I redesigned the high pass filter for it using high quality parts. This is a long and painful process. I also changed the internal wiring to OFC wire. They now sound AMAZING. Please see more detail below. NHT speakers are highly recommended. I have no idea about the new Revolution series though. If you can find the 2.1 or 2.3a used, they are better and already have the soft dome tweeters. These are very good tweeters too. Newer models are unlikely to be better except for the 2.9 and 3.3. The 1.8, 2.1 and 2.3 all have their dual woofers in sealed cabinet. NHT officially say that woofers in sealed box sound better.