Monitor Audio Silver 5 Floorstanding Speakers

Silver 5

Nicely built, Ceramic/Alloy drivers, gold tweeter

J McKay   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 21, 2015]

Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers

I have to say that these are the best speakers I've ever owned, given that I bought these and a Technics SL-1060 stereo for £30!! what a bargain

Mikhail   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 23, 2015]

Great speakers! They have nice comfort sound with a lot of detail and really some analogue style of sound. Best with turntable.
Before them i have a JBL l36 big shelf speakers, and was a bit afraid, will Monitor Audio be good in bass. And they are great! Nice controlled bass, smooth highs!
A bit lack of midrange, so, sometimes the voice is sounding not so bright, but it depends on record.
I'm using it with vintage Hitachi amplifier. Tried with anothers - sound really differs.
5 stars!

Hummy   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 06, 2010]

Excellent sound. Like them better than my energy towers in most scenarios.

musicmania   AudioPhile [Jul 25, 2009]

listening experience depends on multiple factors.AND there is no perfect system or speaker.i have been quite pleased with my silver 5 monitoraudio speakers.especially when i purchased them for $250.00 including shipping cost. yes placement is a key factor.but not criticle enough to dismiss the musical pleasure.YES a good amount of power is desirable.use with a power amp if possible. if you listen to cds mostly, run your cd player directly into the amp inputs , eliminating the preamp.and yes a good set of speaker wire is a must.i have used van den hul tara labs and straight wire with good results.the bass response is tight and clean ,and i prefer my pair on the floor rather than on a stand.the midrange is always pleasing, keep in mind that reproduction of the human voice is the most difficult task for any driver.the higs are quite strong and solid .any harshness comes mostly from bad mixing on the cd, or room acoustics.idont know of too many speakers in the 1000 price range i would buy in place of the 5s.and certainly none for the 250 these cost me. THE REST OF MY EQ. .. LUXMAN 120 MK 2 POWER AMP, .AUDIO ALCHEMY CD TRANSPORT,

quartz   AudioPhile [Aug 28, 2007]
Strength:

Great bass for their size,very musical, a bargain when new, even better used

They tend to sound a little thin and forward that's the metal tweeter which can be tamed with warm sounding cables

Let me start by saying that I have been in the Audio hobby for the last 20 years or so. During that time I have gone through my share of all kind of audio gear, speakers included. I had a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52 which in my humble opinion is one fine monitor , their only fault I found is that they are bass shy otherwise I would have never have let them go. I will point out that I have two systems one in my basement and one in my den.Tthe den is where I had the Dynaudio driven by a Musical Fidelity A3.2 Int . I was looking to replace the Dynaudio and found a pair of Monitor Audio SILVER 5I.
. I became a bit skeptical at first maybe because of their diminutive size
and almost passed them up, what a mistake that would have been. The first think I did was fill the bottom with sand,about 7 pounds in each speaker after that I connected them to the Musical Fidelity with some spare Audioquest cv4 speaker wire, the sound was good in all aspects including bass. I was happy with my purchase and left the speakers in the den. After about 1 year last week I had some spare time and nothing better to do I decided to try the MA 5I in my basement , that's when my jaw dropped used with Sim Audio 4150 amp and 4002 Pre along with some older MIT MH-750 PLUS the sound that always had the tendency to be on the bright side became so smooth and full that words cannot describeThe sound stage grew . These little floorstanders are incredible when used with upscale gear.

ken eaton   AudioPhile [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Fluid midrange, sweet treble, accurate bass when positioned carefully.

Picky about positioning, slightly short for tweeter positioning.

Having been a long term user of MA R700's in the UK, I was amazed to see such a change in design in the Silver 5's. I had to listen, even though I wasn't buying. DAC were fantastic, and when I said I wasn't buying, they said "listen now, buy later" and hooked them up to Arcam Alpha 10 amp/Alpha 9 CD (same as my electronics). I was blown away. The emotion of voices was still there from the R700's, but I was listening in the same room as the singer, and the musicians were gathered around! Forget "too little bass" - get the ASW110 - These babies sing with a velvet voice and hit the spot. I bought.

Similar Products Used: Monitor Audio R700's (long term owner)
Marco Gadotti   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 18, 2003]
Strength:

ECCELLENTI

SUONO PIENO COMPLETO DETTAGLIATO CON OTTIMA DINAMICA

Similar Products Used: KEF Q7 Q5 SONUS FABER CONCERTINO, MONITOR AUDIO PCM 702
Peter   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 11, 2003]
Strength:

Detail, sweet sounding with a nice soundstage. Midrange is lovely.

Picky with equipment, cables and system matching. Maybe the height of the speakers are not perfect but but Soundcare spikes and you have solves that "problem".

I bought this speakers in August in 2002. At first I was a little dissapointed. The soundstage wasn´t what I hoped for. But after several hours of playing it appeared. Now I really love this speakers. They are so sweet, detailed, musically and the bass is just perfect! I have read other reviews here and noticed that some people don´t think the bass is enought. That´s up to them. Listen to this speakers and if you like them, buy them. It´s that simple. Concerning the build quility some people are complaining about I must day i don´t know what they are talking about! The speakers are very solid and weel built! Another complaint I have read is that the speakers height are to short. I purchase Soundcare spikes and that problem was solves in my point ot wiev. My system: amplifier: H/K 670 cd-player: H/K HD 750 (while be replaces soon with Thule Spirit CD100) interconnect: Van den Hul D-102 hybrid speaker cables: Van den Hul Magnum Hybrid for tweeter and Kimber Kable 8 PR Of cource there are disadvantages with these speakers. They need LONG TIME to burn in. Give them the time. Put the system on before you go to work so you really burn them in. Another disadvanted if you can call it that is that this speakers are a little picky about system matching and the system components. That´s whay I´m going to change CD-player. Speaker-cables are also very important. But remember one thing, it´s YOUR ears that´s choice that speakers YOU like. No one else.

Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 2003]
Strength:

voice reproduction, particularly female. sound stage. These speakers can freak my black lab out. She thinks she hears sounds coming from somewhere else.

If any, it's low (and by low, I mean really low, not the stuff you think is low) reproduction. I added a Bag End Infra18, which added MUSICAL low end. With acoustic bass, they need no help at all, and in fact, subwoofers do more harm than good here. They seem to be sensitive to cabling, which is a good thing because you can coax better sound out of them with better cables.

Amazing. I have never had "good" speakers before, unless you count speakers you can buy at mass market retailers that also sell microwave ovens (and you shouldn't). These speakers sound so good, my wife even was forced to admit it. 'nuff said.