Mission 781 Floorstanding Speakers

2-Way Reflex Speaker - 6.6 inch (165mm) Keraform Driver - Silk Dome Tweeter

Joe covame   Audio Enthusiast [May 10, 2003]
Strength:

Well made, real veneers, very good sound, price.

no one for the price, but it can be revealing.

These are a great speakers, I just love how they sound and look. They can sound very good, they just disappear and give a huge and dynamic soundstage where it’s easy to hear every instrument precisely placed, some voices are portrayed in a very realistic mode. They can transmit the emotion in the music, if you put behind them a good system they sound very delicate with lush, solid and dynamic mids and highs. The bass is good (specially the mid bass) and defined but not as extended, dynamic and present as the Dynaudio’s Contour 1.3 (four times their price). These speakers are good with almost every genre of music, but if the music has complex bass information like some electronic music, they tend to congest the sound, if you spend most of the time listening to this kind of music look elsewhere. I used to use a cheap dvd player as cd player, and yes it can be a bad experience to listen to music through this on these speakers, they don’t dissimulate the system’s weaknesses. I don’t know any speakers like this under $ 1000.00 (for my taste), I’m not a reference but I had listened to similar priced brand lines from: Infinity, JBL, Bosse, B&W, Totem, Epos, Dynaudio (Audience 52 ROCKS!!!!), Klipsch and some studio monitors before I bought these speakers.

Similar Products Used: Audible Illusions M3A (pre). Musical Fidelity A3CR (power). Marantz SA-14(source).
Etham   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 01, 2003]
Strength:

Good clarity with the bass and the highs. Response is good.

Lacks punch and fun. It does not give as much as what it is touted to give.

Fairly good looking and compact. But nothing exceptional to shout about. Makes good for casual listening. Sounds pretty impressive at the beginning, however, becomes a little "dull" over time. It lacks the punch and fun.

Similar Products Used: Naim, Tannoy
tke618   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 12, 2002]
Strength:

exceptional build quality strong dynamics perfect for H/T solid bass, clear hights, nice punch in the mid range

brightness can be tempered by a "burn in period"

I did some research and listening and, like many, probably read this site before purchase. I got the 781 and the 78c as one package. The brightness that others have mentioned can be tempered or alleviated by allowing the speakers to have some burn in time (approx. 100 hours in my case). The speakers are visually appealing and are heavy with bi-amp capability. Qualities you expect from more expensive speakers. I have these set up in a home theater environment along with the 78c. Bottom line here: exceptional sound from moderate price speakers. The center channel configuration allows for the most exceptional clarity I've heard from a center channel speaker.

Similar Products Used: too manny to list
AdamK   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 2002]
Strength:

Bass, Transparent Mids, Smooth, Well built.

Long run in time (approx 300 hours until they start to peak), The Australian distributors customer service is abosolutly woeful, no e-mails ever replied to or requests for product literature forfilled, for all those I had to contact Mission direct in England.

In response to some of the earlier reviews about these speakers being bright and harsh, maybe these people might want to let thier 781''s run in properly first. Yes, when I first hooked up my pair they were very bright but after a long run in period the harshness had smoothed out. Although they still are slightly on the bright side they are not unlistenable for long periods of time as one reviewer put it. At the end of they day everyones listening preferences vary. These are awesome speakers for home theatre and can certainly hold their end up during 2ch as well. They have great mid range transperancy and amazing bass for a stand mount that is always tight and pretty fast as well. The only other speaker I considered for this price range was the Monitor Audio Silver 5i, which was an excellent speaker in the Midrange to Highs but struggled in the bottom end. This was were the Mission won out in the end. My 781''s are wired up with Audioquest Granite cable to the Onkyo TX-DS989.

Similar Products Used: None at this price
Marcel Gotlieb   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 03, 2001]
Strength:

Bass, Midrange

Lack of "speed" and enthusiasm?

After listening to both the Mission 780 and 782 last year, I was so enthusiastic about the 78-series that I "blindly" ordered the 781, which at that time was not available yet. The main reason was that the 782 with it's side firing bass would probably not be suitable for my relatively small room (5 x 5 meters)and the 780's were a bit too small to my taste as well as for home cinema and surround music purposes. I currently own a Denon AVC-A1D surround amp and a Denon DVD5000 DVD player, both of which I am completely happy with.

After about 9 months waiting, I finally received the 781's last week. Unfortunately, I am somewhat disappointed by the sound at this moment. Until last week, I used a pair of 780's as front speakers (now I use them for effect channels) and found them really amazing in speed, clarity and midrange response.
I therefore expected even better results from the 781. However, after listening for about 20 hours, I come to the intermediate conclusion that they lack speed and clarity. It seems these speakers have no "joy" in playing and especially at low volumes, the sound is muffled and held back. I must say they play better at higher volume levels (they are more in control of the overall soundstage than the 780's when played loudly), but I feel I continuously have to adjust the volume level. I listen a lot to classical music and piano sonatas sound too held back at quiet passages but too loud when the pianist really starts hammering the instrument. I have excellent recordings of Deutsch Grammofon (so-called 4D recordings), but I can't seem to get the 781's alive and kicking.

Of course, all of this could be due to the fact that these speakers may need more run-in time than the 780's, but I am still suspicious.

So, for the time being, I just rate them 3 starts overall. I will get back to you later if the sound really improves over time....

Similar Products Used: Mission 780
Tu   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 16, 2001]
Strength:

extremmely airy and transparent mid range, and wonderfully beautiful supper high (i have to say these speakers produce the highest pit that i heard from any speaker)

a little bright

This pair, mission 781, is bright at first but i has a little faith that the bright will go away or pipe down a bit because the mission 772 now provides me wonderful sound which also has the same problem.
Now after a little more than a month, the sound keep improving tremmendously. The high is extremmly smooth and airy, the mid is wonderfully transparent, and the bass is very tight and powerful(far more than i ask for from a bookshelf speaker. The sound stage is extremmely wide open.
The sound track from the Red Shoe Diaries is just seemingly beautiful. The voice, guitar, violin and cymbal were just so smooth and details. It's just very realistic and liveliful. Every note and sound are so intinctively separate, but still give a wonder smooth mellow sound. i have to compare this pair to the b&w nautilus 805 which i just got also less than a month. The mission has more bass and better high but the mid is still a little bright than the nautilus 805.
When watching matrix(my favorite movie,) the sound just seemingly stunning maybe something about the super beautifully wonderful mid and high. i'll take the mission center speaker, 78c, over the b&w nautilus html 2 because it sound much louder, clearer and a little more bass than the b&w.

Similar Products Used: mission 772, b&w cdm 1nt(i return this pair for the B&W nautilus 805) and b&w nautilus 805
Dave   Casual Listener [Jan 27, 2001]
Strength:

Okay mid-bass, innofensive

No fun

I have to agree with the first reviewer. I borrowed these speakers to try with my new Arcam DIVA CD23 player, but found myself going back to an old pair of old generic boxes half their price within a couple of days. They're proficient enough and can go in high and low okay, but they just don't make music sound intersting. Usually the novelty value of new kit keeps you listening -- with these I was having difficulty sticking with entire CDs.

It's not even that they're "too" polite or "too" smooth. I've heard plenty of innofensive speakers which still communicate excitement (Sonus Faber, Rega and Linn for three), but everything went off the boil on these.

I'm sure (by the power of blanket advertising) they'll get great reviews and sell a truckload. But I doubt it'll be to anyone who gives them a good listen. They're not good enough to justify the extra cash on a pair of budget boxes, and they're made to look pale and anaemic compared to what you can get for only few notes more.

Alex   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2001]
Strength:

Bass is better than most speakers in that price range

Too Bright

Generally good speakers for normal use. Not very good for serious listening as it is too bright for long listening.
Bass sound better as compare to the JMLab, but not as good and control as the Monitor Audio PMC702. Mid range is all right. However, the high is too followed and it is too harsh. Maybe need long burn in time for these pair of speakers.

No doubt on the design of these speakers; it look nice and the color is very fresh. If you are mainly going for look and normal listening; I guess you may like these speakers.