Mission 773 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 01, 2010]
Derth
Audio Enthusiast

Surprise-surprise. I had the 774 and still have the 773e. Why? Cause the 773e sounds better than its bigger sibling. Yes, the 774 has more bass. But let that ever withhold you from trading in the rest. Tap with your fingers on the 774's sides and you'll find it sounds hollow. Not as firm as when tapping on the 773's side walls. That's because the 773e is a bit smaller (85x27x17 whereas the 774 measures 95x32x17) while still having the same wall thickness. Also its port hole is smaller. Overall that means that it will resonate less of what's going on inside. And that's always a good thing. What I did to further boost firmness is wedge in a traverse, that's located right behind the tweeter. Over the years I have been experimenting with numerous speakers, all based on using a NAD 917/2400 setup. I just love NAD amps. Most speakers get a little extra by using the bass eq switch. Strictly, the 773e doesn't need a sub. I use them (I have two passive B&W) nonetheless for that low end at lower volume levels. My NAD also has a filter to reduce annoying sibilance. All Mission speakers is my experience can sound (a bit) bright. You can compensate that by adjusting the treble knob.

[Mar 10, 2008]
Desmond6
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Definition and sound stage. Punchy bass. The B&W DM2a performed similarly, but isn't as dynamic as the 774. These Missions are here to stay.

A little light. Could well do with stiffer side panels. Not as 'dead' as the DM2a.

I fully agree with everything that has been said here about the Mission 773. Amazing clarity, depth and balance. But guess what, I happen to have its larger sibling, the Mission 774. Same drivers in a box that's about one and a half times bigger than the 773(E). The 774 probably has not been sold in the U.S. if you can get hold of a couple, have it shipped out to you, don't hesitate. I had some reference as I owned Bowers & Wilkins DM2a, the Chario Syntar 200 Tower and the KEF 102.3. They cannot hold a candle to the 774.

[Jul 18, 2003]
raf121
Casual Listener

Strength:

clear sound, and defined treble

seemed to struggle wiv heavy bassy sounds.

i bought htese speakers for my hi-fi which is my first hi-fi. ive got em placed in my bed room and well when i lsited to them they sounded great compared to my brothers mission 702e's. one of the thigns i was a little diappointed with was that there wasnt enough bass with them but i however resolved this by purchasing a gale 3080 sub. as my amp only send the treble and mid range sounds to the speakers and the sub handles the bass the speaker have just came alive. they absoloutly kick ass and the treable on em sounds very well defined.

mission 702e

[May 29, 2003]
Craig Inskip
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Look amazing! sound crystal! (and thats after 2 days)

much smaller than i thought, not quite enough bass for me.

I bought the 773e's about 2days ago and they're starting to sound great now! When i first listened to them i wasn't sure how they compared to my previous Wharfedale sapphires, but i now realise they're loads better especially for the price at just 200 quid although they list at double that. They clarity is amazing, its crystal clear, the bass is nothing special at the moment but i hear that comes with time so i'm just waiting. Unfortunately i've just got a technics v300 amp powering these but i'm after the nad c350 (when ive got enough money to afford them) Would any one reccommend this amp or maybe somthing else? and would anyone reccomend a sub to go with these?

wharfedale sapphire sp-85

[May 23, 2003]
Rich T
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Slimline-they fit nicely in the corners of any room.

I thought they would be bigger when I ordered them online.

The Mission 773e's are fantastic. My whole house jumps now.

Kenwood Amp/CD/Minidisc

[Jan 04, 2003]
barry ecko
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clarity, Open soundstage, The best speaker that £200 can buy you - far far better than any stand mounter at £250-£300 (plus you will need £70+ for stands!)

nothing, (large open rooms may need more bass)

Once again Richers tried to disuade me to buy these speakers (in favour of Wharfdales) but I auditioned these at a high end hi-fi shop when they were £400 & knew they were something special. The first thing to do is run them in, say about 50hours, - the speaker changes completely. Biwire them (I'm using QED Anniversary biwire), match with good electronics (I'm using Arcam A65+ Amp & CD62). The electronics need running in as well. The sound is magnificent and no other £250 speaker can even come close to this (I auditioned the many recommended models in hi fi magazines). Beautiful clarity, open soundstage, defined vocals & instruments. I am redeiscovering my CD collection because it sounds so much better than my previous setup (Rotel CD & Amp / B&W CD 602).

[Dec 11, 2002]
bbolival
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clear and Detailed Sound. Elegant Looking.

N-O-N-E

The best product i've ever spent for $ 250 at eBaY. The Mission 773e is awesome ! It offers clear and detailed sound. It looks damn elegant. It rocks with my Marantz 6000 OSE and Arcam Diva AV100. I have it biwired with DH Labs Q10s. Highly recommended product. It's steal even at $ 400. If my current 773es dies today, ill replace thme with 773es again. Enough said.

Similar Products Used:

Mission 700s, Mission 701s, Mission MS-50s, Klipsch.

[Nov 20, 2002]
richard kerse

none

I bought these from Richersounds recently and can throughtly recommend them, despite the Richersounds sales staff trying to assure me that I'd be better off with a pair of Gales. I paid £200 for these and for this money - and for this you're getting a superb pair of speakers. I've got them linked up to an Arcam 7R amp and Marantz CD6000 CD palyer using QED Silver Anniversary and the sound is superb.

[Jun 06, 2002]
Scott
AudioPhile

Strength:

Overall sound quality (midbass and higher), imaging, and build quality.

Lack of low end bass. 50 hertz is its threshold. Requires sub for hometheater

This review is for the 773, not the 773e. It has single woofers. These speakers are amazing. At first, I used these speakers on an Onkyo TXDS676 reciever w/standard Monster Cable. With this setup they had decent mid range and bass. Then I upgraded my amp to a Marantz SR-6200, and Z series Monster Cable wiring. With the new amp and wires, it was like day and night. The speakers displayed unbelievable sound for their size. * The treble mellowed, turning to a perfect colorless sound. * The mids became much warmer, and has unbelievable clarity. The best feature of these is the midrange. The vocals sound articulate and flat. * The 773 are not huge speakers, in fact the ones I own have only a single woofer driving the low end. But, with the Z series wiring, I found the bass much more punchier. * The overall tonal qualities of these speakers are unmatched at this price. They have great imaging and depth. For the money I paid, these are the best speakers BY FAR for the money. I highly recommend these if you can find them.

Similar Products Used:

Infinity Kappa Five, Energy eXl:6(can't remember the exact model)

[May 01, 2002]
blindlar
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great cabinets, small footprint, gold-plated 5-way binding posts and amazingly clear smooth sound.

They did take a while to burn in, but it was worth the wait.

I''m just going to reiterate what''s been said before. I have a black pair of the 773e''s that I bought from ubid about 8 months ago. They sound awesome!!! I''ve got them bi-wired with some DH-Labs T-14 cables and have an a/d/s/ ms3/u subwoofer connected also. Again to repeat, despite what people have written, these speakers put out plenty of bass. A sub helps to produce the super low stuff, but you can easily get by without one. With your eyes closed, you will not be able to tell where the speakers are, but you''ll recognize where the musicians are standing on the stage (with a well-recorded cd). The speakers absolutely disappear and a huge soundstage opens up. The cabinets are beautiful (mine are black ash) and the components look top notch (but throw the grills away). I''ve got a Harman Kardon HK 3370 receiver and HDCD player which match perfectly with the Missions (thanks ubid). Yes, ubid takes a while and their customer service stinks, but with the deals you get, who cares. I just bought some a/d/s/ mv15t speakers to use behind the Missions and can''t wait to hook them up. I don''t get out to audition other equipment often (so take my review with a grain of salt), but if you get these for less than $500, you will not regret it. Play "Hallelujah" from Jeff Buckley''s Grace cd on these and you''ll get your money''s worth right there.