Mirage Loudspeakers M-3si Floorstanding Speakers

Bi-polar, 5 speaker system

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 02, 2018]
derbraadwurst

Strength:

Best bass i ever heard, bar none. This speaker is totally different from every other speaker you ever heard. Mostly the bass of a speaker is severly lacking. Not so with the Mirage M-3si. It's the beginning. I bought this speaker as a 'in between' speaker. I just moved to a new house and wanted to have a speaker for a couple of months which i could sell easily. I wanted a good fullrange speaker, with good looks, good bass and a speaker that would make me smile (on the inside). I came to this model. The audition was good and i was curious what it could bring at my house. The dealer was very kind and drove the speakers to my house for a small fee. They wouldn't fit into my car. I positioned them and gave them a spin. OMG!!! I just hit the motherload. Fast forward 6 months and my system changed also. In the meantime i got to know the Mirages quite well. The Mirage M-3si has a seamless transition between frequencies. It's just one whole sound. It doesn't lack in one department. The music soars. What also stands out is that this speaker operates at 'Warp 9'. When you first hear it, grap hold of your couch! Because it will rock your socks off like nothing else out there. For me this and being able to play on low volume is very important. I have the feeling the designer succeeded in the design. I have never heard such a fast speaker like this. Tracks with staccato elements sound amazing. It starts stops instantly! Rock music and EDM are out of this World by this. I want you to try this song via Tidal or something (GusGus - crossfade (maceo plex mix). Have you ever been in Ibiza, or Berlin (Bergheim)? You can have that sound in your house with the Mirage M-3si. I was transported back to the best clubs in the world. Drum kits sound especially good. Cymbal sounds are clear as a bell, the kickdrum pressurize the room on normal volume. Wow!!! I hear all the finger strokes on guitars. Bass guitars have the perfect pitch and are clearly present. Don't forget the Audiophile heavy hitters. Nils lofgren - Keith don't go, and Angus & Julia Stone - draw your sword are jaw drapping good. Here you're so "there" it's like An instant transporter. At the push of a button haha. The Cameleon Ness of this speaker is textbook like. It auto adjust or something with every kind of music/venue. So it easily conveys the intent of the producer/musicians. I also like that my normal Netflix/movie viewings have become cinema experiences! This is also very important for me.Because i wa

It's an imposing speaker in your living room. So not high on the WAF. Looks are not bad, but it's big. Very decent Imaging, but i have heard better with top tier speakers. Costing top tier prices. (Magico) I see the performance clearly with the Mirage, even holographic when recordings are up to par. But the outer edges of the images can be sharper. A better cable between monoblocks and pre amplfier and better decoupling of all my components will fix this. Give me 2 yrs tops ;)

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Mar 02, 2010]
djbros
AudioPhile

I own a pair of the Mirage M-3si speakers as my front theater speakers with a Mirage center & sub and completed the package with a set of M-7si's in the rear. Even though I work in the Pro Audio Industry, I have never heard anything that compares to the clarity and crispness of this Mirage System. The system is currently ran by a Denon AVR-4310CI system that absolutely rocks! Previously I used the AVR-3600 which was nearly equally as impressive. Yes they are large, but they are part of the show. Two big beautiful towers, one on each side of the 82" HD DLP, together they compose a work of art. The sound is precise at low volumes, but it is spectacular and moving when you crank it up. No matter the movie; if it offers a "jet fly by" you might as well have been standing on the end of the runway. If Dinosaurs are crossing the screen, your couch will feel every step. I truely can't find any negative about the Mirages Speakers, I am however; extremely dissapointed that these incredible speakers are no longer in production. What a great product.

[Apr 10, 2007]
Aussie Mike
AudioPhile

Strength:

Wall of sound, great for home theater
Well built, black laquer finish
Lots of bass with quality amp
Good midrange with smooth highs
Needs tiptoes to decouple from floor (avoid bass reinforcment and resonance)

Needs lots of room, 2 feet from rear walls and 3 feet from side walls
Very heavy, hard to move
Speaker binding post are plastic
Need a powerful 4-5 ohm capable amplifier to get real performance

I purchased the M3's in 1990 and have owned them for 17 years, and i will keep them till i my hearing goes. I use them mainly for home theater and occasionally for stereo listening, i have them for front left and right channel with a Mirage OMC2 for the center. The M3's have a wonderful sound, room filling speaker, if you are looking for pinpoint imaging, they are not for you.
They are a bargain for a home theater system if you can find them close by, weigh 140lb each in boxes, expensive to ship.
Need lots of power, speaker is 85db, i use a Bryston 4B with bi-wire # 12 awg cables. The bass and weight they put out is more than adequate for stereo and works well with Home theater. I dont feel the need for a sub woofer.
Stereophile class B review by Tom Norton.

Customer Service

Never had to use, still original drivers.

Mission
B&W'
Paradigm

[Mar 31, 2002]
HomerJ
AudioPhile

Strength:

Everything

The piano lacquer finish shows dust too easily, my girlfriend makes me clean it.

At the time I was debating between the M3si and the M1si. The M1si needs a barn-sized room, and I just couldn''t foresee a huge house in my future. The M3si has a little better bass control I find. INCREDIBLE speakers, sweet sound, deep deep bass with no strain, needs adequate power (I use PS Audio 250 monoblocks). Looks great also. I will keep these till they fall apart, they are timeless and classically beautifull.

Similar Products Used:

I have tried a million speakers.

[Nov 30, 1998]
Thomas Barnes
an Audiophile

These speakers are a great bridge between home theater and music listening. The M-3's have clear highs, desent mid's and carrry great low's. However they have been discontinued this year. Mirage now has a newer line, flagshipped by the OM-6, in my mind stincks! - due to self-powered sub that muddies the mids -I feel that Mirage has given-in to the status quo.

[Apr 29, 1999]
Steve Jacobs
an Audiophile

I have had these speakers for five years and think very highly of them. I am wishing to sell them, as I recently purchased a pair of Magnaplanars. I would take $1200. I paid $3,000 when I purchased them. They are excellent for music or home theatre.

[Jul 20, 2000]
Steven Martin
Audiophile

Strength:

The speaker is the best fullrange speaker for the price. It has the best high, mid, and low range dinamics. The sound staging is phonimal. The whole wall sounds like a speaker. I hear it throught my house. The bass and rumble is incredibal.

There is only one weakness besides the price and that is you need at least 200 watts to hear the speaker very good.

I just got these speakers and thay sound good. I am 14 years old and I am not some rich kid I saved my money for 12 years and mowed lots of lawns. When I first heard them they were hocked up to a Rotel 200 watt amp and a Rotel pre amp with a ponieer elit cd player. I have not gotten an amp or a pre amp yet but they are hocked up to my dad's old Tanberg intgrated amp and a nakimichi CD player. I usde kimber cable for wire. They sound ok on my dad's stuff, but you can't play it loud and it is missing some bass because his amp only puts out 150 watts per channel. I will get an amp and pre amp soon and put them in my room. I love these speakers to deaf! Ha Ha.

Similar Products Used:

The old Energy 22 refference connissuries sieries.

[Aug 19, 1999]
Tom Macnab
an Audiophile

My biggest decision was to go for the M1si or M3si. For my sized room, I think that I made the right decision going for M3's, especially since adding a pair of flagship Mirage BPSS-210 subs. I sometimes hoped for the opportunity to get a pair of M1's, although for no rational reason. Since all of the above is now discontinued, it is all academic. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend these speakers if you have lots of power to drive them. I too, am disappointed in the direction Mirage seems to be heading. I will not be parting with my M3's for a long, long time.

[Dec 07, 2000]
Ross
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

They are beautiful looking. Soundstage is giant.

none yet

Here's the background. Bought a pair of OM-7's. Got an incredible deal. I sold them. I heard a pair of M1's. I guess I found out I am not a powered subwoofer kinda guy. Picked up a set of M3's, try finding M1's (plus the shipping on 175lbs each). They sound excellent. Look wonderful. They are quite big. Very heavy. But the sound is incredible. My Opinion is they blow away anything I have heard in this price range. Also, if you are researching a pair of these, you can buy all new drivers and grilles from Mirage still. If you like pure sound you will love these. I have heard speakers with much more bass but a good sub will fill what these don't. I highly recommend these. My only wish I guess is that Mirage would offer a high end speaker that isn't powered. Maybe just maybe they would give the M3's a run. I wish I could give them 6 stars in value