Mirage Loudspeakers FRx-One Floorstanding Speakers

FRx-One

Book Shelf Speaker

amandahifi   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 05, 2003]
Strength:

everything!

are you kidding!

exellent balanced,natural sound.typical api fit and finish.

Similar Products Used: paradigm,camber,jbl.realitic.
Crazy Canuck   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 2003]
Strength:

Not a lot of money for great sound. They look great and have removeable grills.

None yet.

I also posted a review for these under the "bookshelf" category. Anyway I love these speakers, they are a huge improvement over the P.O.S. Pioneer front speakers I was using before. These have a very broad range of sounds and are very crisp and balanced. So far I am extremely pleased with how they handle both music and movies.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer speakers
RSMifflin   Audio Enthusiast [May 06, 2002]
Strength:

- "Punchy" - Bass extension, Imaging and Detail

None that I could see.

I actually have two pairs of these speakers. I bought my first set in Vancouver in 2000 at Sounds Plus for $325.00 (Cdn). I put them in my home theatre system as my main speakers. I had a set of Bose 201’s in front and I did not realize what I was missing! These speakers are superb! They put most other speakers their size to shame……….For that matter, they could put some speakers 3x their size to shame! I was blown away by the bass extension, imaging and detail they revealed. Also, they are quite “punchy” for a set of speakers this size. I was so impressed by “EVERYTHING” about them that Christmas past; I bought another set for the rear of my HT system and sold the Bose 201’s. I am certain I will have these speakers for many years to come. I highly recommend that anyone searching for a speaker of this size listen to the FRx-One’s. They are quite amazing. As a footnote, I considered the FRx-Three’s but, saw no improvement in the Three’s performance over the One’s from the mids up. I have an NHT Sub in my system which covers the low frequencies very nicely. I saw no benefit in spending the extra $100.00 for the Three’s.

Jim   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 27, 2002]
Strength:

Good range, hard to tell any short commings due to the fact that I use them as surrounds and not mains.

Not that I can tell

I bought these speakers as a rear surround to go along with my 7''s and Mirage Center. I bought them because they were actualy cheaper $100 cheaper than the Mirage surround''s. Dispite the fact that I have never listed the the surrounds I know they can''t sound that much better than these bookshelves do. the sounds for movies are crisp and even with a sub I can hear good base comming from them. Nice speakers, nice sound.

Similar Products Used: My first surround speakers
Brian Chambers   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 10, 2000]
Strength:

Good bass extension, crystal clear highs

None so far

These speakers produce some of the cleanest sound of any speaker I've heard for this price. I listened to the Paradigm's and thought they were a tad bright for my tastes.

The FRx-One gives me nothing but clarity in my movies and CD listening. Although they only have 5.25" drivers, they have surprisingly good bass response. I especially like the highs I get from these speakers. They are pristine and clear while not being too bright or harsh.

I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a smallish bookshelf speaker under $300.

Similar Products Used: Paradigm Atom, Paradigm Titan
Peter Jörgensen   Audiophile [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

High and midrange.

Hard and heavy music, but I don´t think a "Hardrocker" would look at them at all.

Mirage FRX serie.
The best sounded speakers I have heard for a long time.
I thought I had good sounded HiFi equiepment, but now I´m home.
I can now hear details never heard before.

Accustics guitars sounds very natural, and I can often hear the fingers slide.

Females naturalism in the midrange it´s like a dream.

The soft and clear treble is delicious.

Similar Products Used: Sonab, Mirch. Don´t bye any of them.
Nate   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 20, 2001]
Strength:

These are very smooth speakers, and image quite well. They lack the brightness I encountered in the Klipsch speakers, and were more refined than the Bostons in the same price bracket.

Rather homely- come in black ash or walnut (still good for only about $200 retail, though). Not particularly well-suited for listeners of rock, hip-hop, or bass heavy electronic music unles high passed and used with a subwoofer- in which case there will not be a problem.

I am using these speakers with an Adcom GFA1 (200 wpc), an AMC 1100 preamp, XLO original reference speaker cables, Monster interconnects, and a Denon DCM370 cd player.

I am a college student on a budget, and since I work for a dealer, I was able to get these direct from Mirage at below cost. They really are killer speakers, even in their price bracket, and I chose them over the Klipsch, which are wayyy too bright in my opinion (read: fatigueing), and the Bostons, which for some reason no one at my store seems to like. The Mirage are also built better than the Bostons, and look sharp even with the grilles off. I give these 4 stars because they are very competitive, but also because I feel that for something to get 5 stars it should really deserve it.

PLEASE- DO NOT ask me if I can get these for you on the cheap. The answer is NO. If you want them bad, look on ebay or something. They really are great speakers, even in the $200 bracket.

Similar Products Used: Boston Acoustics CR6, Klipsch SB1

MarkO   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 07, 1999]

I just purchased these 2 Weeks ago and am very impresed with the great soundstage these speakers project into my living room. With A modest sub these would make alot of people very happy :)

Jan Levicek   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 24, 2001]
Strength:

dynamic sound, mids and highs... good bass for a small speaker

none come to mind

these frx1 speakers act as my rears in my HT setup which include frx5 mains, yamaha sw360 sub, and jbl center, all run by a yamaha rx-v596.

I'm very happy with these speakers...the day i bought them, before hooking them up as rears i ran them as mains, and listened to various music artists (from elliott smith type folk to bjork, and weezer stuff) - during this time i switched back and forth between my frx5's and these, and listened to them both simulatenously (which i loved). Overall I have to say these speakers stand up very well for themselves,... with the only real audible difference between them and the 5's being the depth and clarity of the bass (5's are floor standing, ported at the bottom, and have amazing dynamic range) - so depending on what kind of use "bass-wise" you plan to get out of them you can mix and match accordingly. Don't read that as "no bass" tho, like i said these speakers do carry themselves quite well, especially for their size. they would most likely make great mains mated with the right sub... (at the time i tested as mains i didn't yet have the yammy sub) - as rears they work extremely well... and mixed well with the different sized mains i run. before purchasing i had considered using the ams200's as rears.. but thought keeping it in the frx family was a better idea.

looking at the build quality you imediatley realize you're looking at a quality speaker, ported at the back, solid weight, and molded faceplate - to house the cone and tweeter.. these things are a delight to look at(and listen too) .. they look easily mountable with a large screw hole in the back.. and come with 4 rubber feet to keep em off the wall....as they are ported in the back, i recommend keeping them slighly distanced from the wall however. a couple of feet are also included for the true bookshelfer..

at this price you can't go wrong... try before you buy...
and if you run as mains make sure you get/have a sub too.

i love all my mirage speakers (;

Similar Products Used: frx5's, audio research, bose.
Neil   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 12, 2000]
Strength:

Great soundstage and imaging. Pleasant highs and mids.

None so far.

Bought these speakers 2 weeks ago. I listened to many sets of similar speakers before buying (Boston System 9000, Mirage FRx-Three and AVS-200, Klipsch Synergy bookshelves, Paradigm Atoms, etc.) The Mirage FRx-One's just sounded better to me for main speakers.

I was looking for a main speaker set that was smaller (to be used with a sub), but that sounded better than satellite speakers. This set was a great compromise. They blow away my old Bose system, in terms of realism and efficiency -- I only turn the dial up to the 9:00 position, and they're rockin'. Movies sound great, and much more cinema-like. And, music sounds incredible. These blend nicely with the FRx-S8 sub in my mid-size living area.

Also, Mirage doesn't show this on their website (http://www.miragespeakers.com), but you can get the FRx-One's in white.

I would highly recommend these to someone looking for a little more than a satellite, but less of a footprint than a floor-standing speaker.

I found them at Ed Kellum & Son A/V in Dallas, and was able to get a package deal with the FRx-S8 sub, AVS-200 surrounds and the FRx-Center. A word of caution -- do not try to mate these with the AVS-100 center channel -- you will be disappointed!

I have them running off of a Yamaha HTR-5150 receiver, and they sound great.

Similar Products Used: Bose AM-5. Others listened to below.