Magnepan MMG Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 24, 2017]
Armando Rancano
AudioPhile

I just received my trial MMGs. I've been listening to music of all kinds on top-notch equipment for years and am familiar with the Magnepan sound.

Frankly, my expectations were not too high for hearing the MMGs out of the box. I was also concerned about driving them with my new Marantz SR5011. It can drive 4 ohm loads with 100W but you never know until you try it.

Bottom line is that out of the box the MMGs sound pretty damn good. I'm told these were not returned units, which are sold at a discount. I'm looking forward to what they'll sound like after break-in. I can already hear all the attributes that reviewers claim about the MMG. As far as the Marantz sr5011, it has no trouble whatsoever driving the MMG to loud levels on a 15 x 22 room.

I should say that I have two high quality sub-woofers on the line. Without them, as expected, the MMGs lack on the low end. With the subwoofers engaged, they sound as full as the music requires.

I have been using a pair of French-made Focals 816-S. They sound terrific but don't fit the living room aesthetic of my new home. The MMG blends in very nicely.

Expectations exceeded.

[Jul 27, 2016]
Scott Wilson
AudioPhile

I come from a previous experience with a Magnepan speaker, the 1.6QR. At the time I owned them, I had the set up ideally in an ideal room, and had complete freedom in placement, as it was a dedicated room. I was absolutely in love with the Magnepan sound. After downsizing, I needed that sound again, but in a smaller, less ideal, dual purpose room. I decided on the MMG as it wall my budget and space would allow. I amm using them with the same electronics and source as my old set up.(Basis 1400, Audio Research SP-9 MK III, Perreaux 3150) I also now have an Odyssey Stratos alternative amplifier. Even under less than ideal conditions, I feel I am getting 75% or more of the sound for less than a third of the price of the 1.6 or now 1.7. I listen to all types of music. Out of the box it was flat and had no magic at all. Once broken in, transparency increased, soundstage gained width and depth, bass extended, highs settled down. It is THE speaker for well recorded small ensembles, whether jazz, folk or classical, voices whether opera, choral or simply miked male and female voice are startlingly realistic. The best recordings put the artists right in your room. With classical you can get a goods sense of the hall, and it's easy to " see into" the stage. When it came to rock or large scale classical, I knew I needed a subwoofer. I am using an inexpensive home theater sub while I save for one or a pair that will mate well and be fast enough to keep up with this amazing speaker. But I can now hear bass information I didn't know existed. Even organ recordings are impressive. To be honest the sub helped every type of music, and I consider one essential to get the most out of this speaker. Also, the more powerful Perreaux amp is slightly better to make the speaker come alive, though the Odyssey is no slouch and more refined overall. They really do cry for proper set up. If you don't have the room to set them up properly, you will be frustrated. This speaker demands you sit and listen and perfect symmetry and geometry in your set up will pay big dividends. I don't have that at the moment but hope to have a better room in the near future. So, if you want an intimate two channel stereo experience and you prefer to sit in the sweet spot and listen, you'll be in love with the MMG. If you area rocker, that is looking for high decibels and slamming bass for a party type listening environment, this is not the speaker for you. I think it Is an exceptional value, the trade up in a year program for the 1.7 or higher makes this even more attractive. The MMG I salsa tweakes dream and many improvements can be made in stands, crossover, and frames if you wish. I haven't felt the inclination to do that, as I plan on trading up. I don't think I'll ever go backroad boxes, and if I did, I would always have a Magnepan in rotation for an alternative. They are magical.

[Jul 25, 2016]
Michael Frueh
Audio Enthusiast

Most people read these reviews in order to justify the purchase - my suggestion is to BUY THEM NOW !! They are the best speakers I have ever owned, even at 3 times the price...

I will caution you - right out of the box the speakers sound is not good. Very little bass, and even level of output differences from left to right. Less than an hour later, the speakers started to reveal themselves, and playing the same song (Mark Knopfler's Punish the Monkey) every hour revealed more and more detail each time. I am on ly 20% through the suggested burn in period, and they already sound amazing.

I'm driving them with an NAD Serious 20 preamp (insert dinosaur joke here) and a Yamaha M-70 amp (240W) - plenty of power and totally new musical features appear in your soundstage.

I have a sub - but haven't hooked it up yet. The MMG's bass is fine for acoustic jazz and vocals - and the bass is vey defined. Victor Wooten's "A Show of Hands" is a tough bass workout, and they handled it just fine. Don't order the sub just yet - play the MMG's for a month and then decide...

I've owned audiophile gear from Yamaha, Mackintosh, Carver, Genesis, Series 20, JBL, Polk and many others - no other single piece of audio gear was as stunning as my Maggies...

Run - don't walk - buy them...

[Jul 25, 2016]
Howie
Audio Enthusiast

The MMG's have been both amazing and hard to listen to at times. I find that good recordings sound great while poor recordings can be unbearable. For the price they are definitely a great bargain, even for me here in Canada where my cost was close to $900 after taxes.

I have tried all different room placements and even put them on stands to check out the sound when they are perfectly vertical. I have ended up with the stock stands back on, flippers up and tweeters on the inside with a slight toe-in.

I don not think they have a sound that is for everyone's tastes, but I am mostly very happy. Now if I could only afford the 1.7s

[Jun 06, 2016]
FlonFlon
Audio Enthusiast

I am 50 , system Naim audio 32.5/snaps/250 .

Those are simply the best most affordable speaker in the world ! SILKY SMOOTH MUSIC !
Marilyn Monroe whispering in your ear "I love you" !

Beware don't buy those used , They don't last as regular speaker do . And many owner try to repair them before selling them ! But funny thing ! Even in bad shape they sound better then anything else .

Problem is positioning them in your room , the sound is coming from the front and the back ! they cannot be against a wall .. and they don't like side wall also , they become boomy ( some may like ) . In general I don't care about that problem because I never sit in front of my speakers but try to make them sound good when I am in an other room making diner or working or whatever .

I am totally addicted to the Planar sound for one main reason they are so gentle for my ears ! Making them the perfect speaker for all day long ambience music .

600$ well invested ,, they last to my opinion 10yrs if not exposed to direct sun or overdriven . 60$ per year for the best sound in the world .

[Jun 02, 2016]
JAMES RIVERS
AudioPhile

I am 62 now and had MG II speakers in the 1970's. They sounded incredible in the midrange but they did not have a good treble because the speaker was all planar.I missed the incredible midrange imaging and detailed sound. The mmgs cover all areas except for the very low end. They are an incredible value. I added a SVS sealed subwoofer with a older Emotiva UPA2 and a Emotiva XDA-2. Total cost 1400.00. In all my years with different equipment from Luxman mono tube amps and a Audio Research preamp, hafler etc. and all different high end speakers I have never had a system that sounded this good. The clean tight sound and imaging from the lowest bass to the high end is incredible.I think this is the first time I had tears in my eyes because of the clean sound in a stereo system. It wasn't because of the songs I was playing but the clean sound and imaging that to me was perfect. In today's world with all the distortion outside the house and the brainwashing on the TV, which I quit watching. I have something that I missed for a long time .Sound that is clean and touches my heart.

[May 04, 2016]
AJ
AudioPhile

Firstly these are 2016 models, but the model year dropdown doesn't go that high on this blog. I've been intrigued and fascinated by Magneplanar technology for almost 40 years. I wanted the 1.7s, but thought I would try the MMGs as I had not owned this technology before. I got them for my 58th birthday. I've had them for over a week and they blow away everything I've owned in the past. I've had B&W, Polk, AR,JBL, Boston Acoutics, Dahlquist and more. For 600.00, nothing touches these speakers in the value area.

Solid mid-bass and full mid and uppers. Jazz sounds great. Debussy sounds great. Operatic arias sound very good. Instruments, vocals and small ensembles shine. Where it needs help is large orchestral music, Pink Floyd and hard rock with lower bass accompaniment. For Dark Side of the Moon and Pomp and Circumstance March No.1 (Telarc) I had to switch on the Polk SB10 subwoofer.

Speaker placement is essential and you will need to move them and angle them until they fit the acoustics and sitting arrangement in your room. Be forewarned that these speakers are so accurate that they will expose weaknesses in a bad recording such as my old, budget, classical CDs. Secondly, even these little Maggies suck power. Playing Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd at moderately loud levels finally pushed my Crown xli 800 to blink it's clipping LEDs occasionally - we are talking about a high-current amp that can push out 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I fall in love with them. I am definitely going to get their bigger brothers for my retirement house and I may even keep these for the bedroom. I think my NAD high currrent amp just arrived from eBay - yep it's the Fedex lady. I forgot how much I love Bolero. That piece of music is the perfect test for these speakers. Thank you Magnepan.

[May 02, 2016]
KT
AudioPhile

Simply put, if you don't give these speakers 5/5 you need your hearing checked. The bass is a bit muddy and the speakers don't have super loud output, but for $599 brand new nothing is even close to them. Specially if you add in a nice little subwoofer to them.

Keep in mind how close these are to the wall will have a huge impact on brightness, and reflection sound. Just try and get them out around 2-3ft from the wall, and you can't go wrong.

[Dec 08, 2015]
jlg
AudioPhile

Loudspeakers can only be evaluated by reference to OTHER loudspeakers, in my experience. I own ProAc Response 1SC, Neumann K310, and Mackie HR 824. The mid high frequencies (I mean female voice, guitar, violin, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) are as clean as any of the above, save perhaps the Neumann 310s, which are 5k a pair. There isn't much usable low end, obviously. And the low mids (tenor and bass male voice, cello, bass, etc.) are weak. But a properly mated, very, very clean subwoofer might solve that problem. For voice alone, these are superb. So you might get the Mackie HR 824 experience out of these (the flat but powerful bass) with the right sub.

[Nov 12, 2015]
howard grossman
Audio Enthusiast

Just listened to the MMG's at Lyric sound in NYC. Based on all the great reviews MAJOR disappointment. Harsh un musical sound with a very artificial aggressive mid- range . Yes they are $600 speakers but from the reviews they sounded like they should be able to walk on water. From Opera to Rock they sound harsh, artificial and fatiguing. BUT, BUT wait I asked to hear the next model up the .7's THOSE ARE THE ONES YOU WANT. Save up some more money and buy those and you will have speakers that actually sound like the all the reviews for the MMG's. I'm buying a pair of the.7's next week. Just for fun A/B'd them against a pair of $2000 B&W CM 6's no comparison the .7's with well produced material makes sound you can fall into.