Magnepan MG 3.5 Floorstanding Speakers

MG 3.5

I.deKlein   AudioPhile [Jul 10, 2016]

Question, I own a iregular frontmagnet 3.5R , how many 3.5R with front magnets hear?

kostaspol01@gmail.com   AudioPhile [May 10, 2015]

e?µa? p???t?? se ?atast?µa ste?e? hifi hiend ??a pa?? ap? 30 ?????a ? ?????a µ?? t??a 47 e???ta? a???se? e?at??tade? ??e?a ?a? e???ta? ftase? ?a e?? st? sp?t? µ?? 34 ?e?a??a ??e??? ,p?ste?? ?t? t? ??e?? magnepan 3,5 e??a? ?t? ?a??te?? se s?es? t?µ?? p??? ap?d?s? .??a t?? 7500 euro p?? e?a?e ?a???????? ,?a? t?µ? µeta?e???sµe??? 2500 euro ea? t? a???asete ?a? µp??eseta? ?a t? ?d???sete s?sta ?a e?ete e?a ???t??? ap?te?esµa ?pe?a?? ???t????. e?? t? e?? s??dese? µe e?a te???? e??s??t? mark levinson 332 e?a p??e??s??t? mark levinson 380 ?a? cd wadia t? ap?te?esµa e?e?et???????????""""" t? µ??? ?s?? µe???e?t?µa t?? t? µe?e??? ,e??a? p?a?µat??a µe?a?? 1,85?61?4 a??a "" ?s? µe?a?? e?a? se µe?e??? e?a? ?a? se ??? .... s?µß?ßaste?ta?

spgmclean   AudioPhile [Apr 24, 2005]
Strength:

Sound Staging Realism Articulate Wicked

None

I've always been a mag owner.Since 1982. To me there is nothing that compares. I tried all kinds of speakers over the years(30 to be exact) and guest what, they all sound like boxes. The 3.5r is what music is all about...

Similar Products Used: Martin Logon-is a joke (CLS is OK) Sound Lab -OK Quad-Well Done
Michael Crespo   an Audiophile [Nov 23, 1997]

As the eminent Harry Pearson once wrote, "The 3.5's represent the maximum sonic value per buck in loudspeakers in the here and now!" I couldn't agree more. A fabulous loudspeaker at any price. Way recommended!

Raj J   Audiophile [Nov 14, 2000]

Dear audiophiles,
I had posted a review of the MG3.5 ribbons sometime earlier and mentioned that they sound best when bi-amped. I have learned that this configuration mainly depends on the two power amps and not really the speakers themselves. Sure the speakers are important, however both power amps must have either the same input impedence and sensitivity/gain, as well as similar power. If this is not closely matched, then there will be a mis-match between the two and they will have their own characters which is not good for the speakers as a whole. The sound will be less cohesive, less coherent less and focused, and most of all less transparent. All this is noticed only once you properly configure the system physically and listen carefully. How it all happened is: I tried my Conrad-Johnson Premier11A as a single amplifier driving both panels simultaneously. And volla! it just clicked into place! Everything seemed to be just about perfect and the output power of the c-j Prem11A is only 70 watts-rms/channel! However, the current and voltage drive of the c-j amp is relatively high compared to solid states and the main reason of course being valves!
So, I highly recommend using amplifiers in single stereo configuration or as exclusive mono-block designs rated at either 70watts (valve design) or above. For solid state designs, somewhere around 200w/ch - 250w/ch would be ideal. But valves sound the best with ribbon designs! First try the single configuration as mentioned and you will be surprised at the level of accuracy and control the amplifier has over the maggies. Musicality is what it's all about, and the truth is "if it sounds good to you, then by all means keep it!" Try mono-block designs later after using stereo amplifiers and you might realise the differences or maybe not. Like I said if you like bi-amping, match the two amps as closely as possible, identical designs would be better. stereo designs in single operation is a treat, and monoblocks are of course more power and more control, and maybe more musical, and ofcourse a hell of a lot more expensive! If you can afford it, go for it! For those who don't want to spend so much, try a good high-end brand of a valve design rated at 70-100w/ch and you'll never regret your decision driving them through magneplanars.
Happy listening, and cheers!!
Raj J

Mirso Maksic   Audiophile [Oct 08, 1999]
Strength:

clarity,neutrality,transparency,dynamicsand bass control and definition

Needs very powerfull amplifier and do its best even with two power amplifiers

The Maggies 3.5R are one of the most spectacular audio product on the earth. They have accurate top to bottom reproduction, huge sound stage, and most importantly the sound is very reallistic and neutral. The bass was very authoritative,accurate and controlled and beats even the best dynamic loadspeakers.

Similar Products Used: Martin Logan SL3 and reQuest, Quad 63, B&W Matrix 801 III, Audio Physics Virgo II, Mirage M1
robert zimmerman   an Audiophile [Jan 04, 1999]

I have owned the maggies for over three years and have found them to be a fine and detailed speakes. I am using a aragon MK11 to drive them and have tried various pre amps I have a nacamichi that drives it to volumes that I didn't think 3.5's would reach..but mostly I use a Sony sdp 9 es It's a dolby digital decoder that I also am using as a pre amp.. using the coax input, denon disc for a digital source run through a monarch dip. I have experimented extensivly on placement of these speakers I moved them in i moved the out up and down. I just couldn't get this edgyness out.. then I tried leaning them back a bit.. I liften the front legs and stuck a paper back book under them wow... the difference was amazing things smoothed out and the soundstage opened up..thisk may be only true in my particular room but I just thought some other maggie owners ould like to know...also one of the biggest influences in my decision to get maggies was that they don't take alot of floor space for what the put out sonically...and If any of you have serious side wall reflection I have found that 3" foam pipe insulation slipped into the side edges is easier than treating large wall sufaces.. thanx for the cool web site..bobby z

marcus snyder   an Audiophile [Apr 18, 1998]

I am obviously a Magnepan fan, as I have owned a pair of MG-IIIa's for over 12 years. I recently test drove a pair of the MG 3.5's... I was pleasantly impressed with the improved bass response that is needed to enjoy most contemporary music. Still today, I have not come close to finding a box speaker that can touch the spacious sound characteristics of the Magnepan product line. I do want to note to interested Audiophile's that the MG series speakers at 4 ohms's are still a bit power hungry. You -will not- find a Japanese amplifier that can drive them properly without causing the Amplifier to shut down or distort... The MG series speakers have the ability to reproduce even minor harmonic distortion characteristics associated with most amplifiers. You will quickly discover this fact if the Magnepan's start making a flapping sound.
Do not be disatisfied with the MG speakers for revealing this fact, but be disapointed that most box speakers hide the flaws of poor system components. Magnepan can provide you a list of approved Amplifier manufacturers for you to compare and choose the one that suits your musical taste... I still recommend the Aragon 8008 as a price/value/sound performance competitor for about $2000. Beyond that you will end up spending $2500 to $7000 on an amplifier to truely reveal the Magnepan MG's series capabilities which remain unrivaled for accurate sound reproduction.

Gary OShields   an Audiophile [Jun 03, 1998]

I have listened to the many versions of Maggie's throughout the years and find them easy on the ears,with very airy presentation,and imaging that has a sense of reality. The only thing I have noticed though is that they are somewhat limited in dynamics,the attack,in the mids and lower freq.But mated with a superior amp,tube or solid state it is one of the best.Needs some type of subwoofer.No Recommendations as of yet.

barry   an Audiophile [Jul 03, 1998]

I've owned the 3.5R's for about 2 1/2 years now and I still can't get over how great they sound. The spaciousness and warmth of this panel speaker isn't like any dynamic speaker you'll ever hear. The bass on these speakers is very surprising compared with earlier models - the panels really do get all the way down in the low 30Hz as claimed. I've run a sub-woofer crossed over at 60Hz and it really adds very little improvement. The speakers can sound a little bright in some rooms but that can be tamed with placement and proper wall treatment on the rear walls. The sound stage is very good although the imaging is best in one spot, ie. there's a bit of a venetian blind effect if you move out of the sweet spot. The overall transparency which is very good can be taken to another whole level by using an active cross over instead of the passive one and bi-amping. I'm using an old modified DB systems XO and it's a great improvement. The speaker is a bit power hungry to say the least. It's not the best system for headbangers - you'll blow the fuses, but I'm told the power handling is much better than the 3.3s and earlier. I'm using the speaker with Pass Lab 2's and a highly moded Counterpoint SA-20 on the bottom. I haven't heard anything better than this combination anywhere---- period and I've listened to a lot of systems. Buy a pair you'll be happy you did.