Magnepan Magneplanar MG 1.7 Floorstanding Speakers

Magnepan Magneplanar MG 1.7 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Description 3-Way, Full-Range, Quasi-Ribbon Freq. Resp. 40-24 kHz Sensitivity 86dB/500Hz /2.83v Impedance 4 Ohm Dimensions 19 x 65 x 2

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 31, 2018]
Conrad

Strength:

Breathtaking air and space around your sound, pinpoint precision, seductive tone with piano, disappearing speakers, three-dimensional staging. Close your eyes and they will truly transport you. Use quality amplification for best results. The biggest problem might be the temptation to move up the Maggie scale to the 3.7i or even further. In which case the cost of some sapphire jewelry for the wife might add to the price.

You need to be in the right spot. But it's a small price to pay because these speakers do things no other speakers in the world can, except perhaps other Magneplanars. I have the 1.7i and you'd have to pry them out of my cold,dead hands. Wife acceptance factor may be an issue. They're not tiny but on the other hand they're not too heavy either. Important: buy aftermarket stands from Mye or Sound Anchor to get these off the ground. Makes ALL the difference. Finally, don't think you can locate these near the walls. Won't work. They need air but they'll reward you for it..

Price Paid:
2017
[Oct 09, 2017]
audioilliterate
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a new one three years ago and never had been satisfied with the speaker. I never listen to pop music so that I didn't need excessive bass but it was still lacking compare to real concert. And the high frequency clipping on full blown orchestra drove me insane. So I decided to add DWM as first remedy but the dealer didn't carry as a normal stock fortunately. After doing more research I changed my mind to replace the preamp and amp instead of adding DWM. What a surprise! the 1.7 has more capacity of the bass than tattoo ridden rapster's monster subwoofer and high frequency gets as clear as canary except squeaky noise.

Magnepan willfully(?) avoid giving precise answer to buyer related to the power requirement of the mag speakers. Mag definitely needs super power to run it. But the Parasound A21 provides 50 more amp than Adcom 5500. It seems Parasound's functional performance excels the Adcom in every aspect. At last 1.7 is giving out the real sound with new preamp and amp. I think I can live with this combination for the next twenty years without having ulcer. Thought about replacing with 3.7 but not anymore, it would be overkill for an ordinary living room. The speaker is the last thing you should blame. And I had to use the 1 ohm attenuator to reduce the squeak with new amp. It is a wonderful speaker.

[Oct 02, 2017]
GB the Stereo Guy.
AudioPhile

I purchased my 1.7's in 2011 after trading in my 1.6 QR's. I bought the 1.6's in 2004 and never had a problem as described by one reviewer who said the "wires" on the panel itself became detached and hence distorted the sound just 3 months out of warranty. Now $587 including shipping doesn't sound unreasonable to me - but to each his own. I also think he was talking about the 1.6 QR's as the 1.7 didn't appear until 2010 if memory serves correct.

I had the 1.7's on loan for a week to compare to my 1.6 QR's and immediately noticed a marked improvement without any break-in period! I'm powering them with an Audio Space Ref 3.1 integrated tube amp using KT 88's and putting out 45 watts per channel at 4 ohms which has plenty of power to drive them properly. Reviews I've read invariably say how much power they need, minimum 100 watts/channel and up. What you have to realize is that tube amps remind me of diesel powered vehicles - not as much horsepower but tons of torque, the part that actually does the work. I had a solid state amp that was producing 200+ watts at 4 ohms and the Audio Space Ref 3.1 with KT 88's plays as loud with a much fuller sound i.e sound-stage, timbre and imaging - all the positive attributes related to tube amps. So don't be afraid to partner the 1.7's with a moderately powered ( i.e 40+ watts @ 4 ohms ) high quality tube amp, the operative word here is "high quality"!

The 1.7's are by far THE best value in the $2000 - $4000+ range hands down. Before I bought the 1.7's I tried B&W 's 705's which are very good sounding stand mounts but the 1.7's were FAR superior in every way - bigger sound-stage, better imaging etc, almost like a "wall" of fidelity when compared to the 705's which are no slouches in this regard. Don't get me wrong I love B&W speakers and had a lesser pair of stand mounts for a few years after I sold my Electrostatics.

Since my purchase of the 1.7's I've managed to get a great deal ( half price ) on a pair of REL R 305 subs and that's rounded out the bottom nicely even though they're turned down quite a bit, it's almost like bi-amping the 1.7's - everything improved and was a little more "fleshed out" for lack of a better word. It's nice to know that the better components that you acquire in the future the 1.7's will definitely rise to the occasion so plan on keeping them for many years as such they're a great investment! To prove this I average out the cost over the years roughly $1 per day thus far and going down! Whenever I go to our main hi-fi store and listen to some very expensive speakers and components I have to say I'm so glad I picked up the 1.7's never a regret!

The rest of my system consists of the following:
1) Michell Gyrodec SE and Rega RB 250 tonearm with a BENZ SH wood body MC.
2) A highly modified Rega P5 with a Denon DL-S1 MC with a ruby cantilever done by "SoundSmith" cartridges.
3) Fosgate Signature tube phono pre-amp.
4) "Klyne SK 1" solid state step pre-amp for the Denon DL-S1.
5) Shanling CD 300 tube CD player.
6) "Anti Cable" speaker cable 2 pairs per speaker ( left from my bi-wired 1.6 QR's ).
7) Kimber Kable "Hero" and silver KCAG interconnects.
8) Last but not least an "HRS" record stabilizer.

To sum up if you're looking for speakers in the $2000 range and have a very good integrated amp or pre-power combo do yourself a favour and get the 1.7's you'll be glad you did!

GB. "Happy Listening"!

[May 02, 2016]
KT
AudioPhile

These are fantastic speakers. One of the best for your money. Only thing that holds it back is low end IMO. Otherwise, the best you can get for $2k.

Only negative is you will likely need a subwoofer if you like all types of music.

[Sep 25, 2014]
John
Audio Enthusiast

If you're thinking of buying a pair of these speakers, stop thinking. Just do it. You won't be sorry.
I've had them now for several years and they just keep getting better. I guess it helps to have a powerful amp to drive them.

[Jul 31, 2014]
Eric
Audio Enthusiast

Simply put, no other $2000 speaker can make music sound as lifelike as these. A few other speakers in this price range can reveal details of the recording, these Maggies draw you in to the performance. Everything you hear from these Maggies is the truth. The 1.7's do some things better than many $20,000+ a pair speakers. No other $2,000 speaker can make that claim.

[Jun 26, 2014]
Gman
AudioPhile

Great detail and Image, not the sweet spot anymore like of old. Very well built and a huge bargain even if you throw in the very odd anomaly (Jim the Audiophie) had. Its very rare these speakers degrade over a 5 year period and I know this because a friend of my has a pair of SMGs that are still kicking and plenty of happy customers have MMG ver. 1 which are well over 10+ years. I been a box speaker guy for years and love PSB/Dynaudio and Joesph Audio etc. but if you look at their higher end speakers your in some cases puying 4-6 times as much on a high end model. these speakers give you 99.9 % of what those speakers do and for a fraction of the cost, even if you have to re-glue some tweeters back into place after 5 years which is very rare.

Smokin detail and clarity! A true bargain in the high end, thanks for making a wonderful speaker!

[May 25, 2014]
Jeff
Audio Enthusiast

It's a shame that a "review" by 1 person who clearly doesn't know what he's talking abut can pull down the overall rating of these. He claims he bought these in 2001. These weren't even dreamed of in 2001, being introduced many years later. Rest assured that these are GREAT speakers, bettering anything in their price range. Put them with decent gear....I use an Anthem 225 to power them....and they will SING. Buy them. Love them.

[Dec 31, 2013]
vonhagen
AudioPhile

back and forth i went with what to buy, maggies or legacy and in the end i went and listened to the 1.7's and dropped 2 grand. when i got home i first hooked them up to a krell kst 100 with a krell krc 3 preamp and thought wow this is just amazing. next i tried them with a threshold t400 and audio research ls2b mk2 and that is it just plain mind blowing with imaging,depth and sound stage to die for. these speakers do lack in the very low bass but not in a way that you would need a sub. drums and symbols are very tight and extremely fast and the vocals are in mid air on stage. these speakers sound so good that my dogs will not leave the room at high levels lol, they even like them. bottom line is big high current class a amp a must as these are power hungry your reward will be audio nirvana.

[Dec 04, 2013]
MICHAEL KLEMENTOVICH
AudioPhile

I WANTED TO HATE THESE SPEAKERS AS I DID HATE THE 1.6 BUT CANNOT HATE THEM THEY ARE THE BEST SPEAKER DEAL UNDER 5K IN FACT THEY BLOW SPEAKERS AWAY AT ANY PRICE...MAKE SURE YOU BUY A EMOTIVA XPA-2 AND BUY A DON ALLEN DUAL TUBE PREAMP HIS 1500.00 MODEL AND NEVER LOOK BACK I OWN A QUARTER MILLION DOLLARS OF AUDIO EQUIPMENT IN MY SPECIAL TUNED AUDIO ROOM AND THESE HOLD THEIR OWN.......PERIOD..........DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANYTHING ELSE BECASE FOR 800+2000=1500=4300.00 YOU CAN BLOW AWAY ANYONE'S 50K SYSTEM AWAY TOTALLY OUT THE DOOR