LINN Nexus Floorstanding Speakers

Nexus

2 way speaker, 200 mm woofer, silk dome tweeter

Waldman Jordaan   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 01, 2013]

I have been fortunate enough to stumble on a pair earlier this year and I have been stunned by just how much I enjoy them.

Before I purchased the Nexus, I sold my very large Infinity Kappa 9.2i Series II. I was fond of the Kappas, but they were simply too demanding as far as mating equipment with them and room treatment was also a must with them. Room treatment was a problem in my new home and I was not going down that road again (read: been married too long to try my luck again). So, with much regret I sold the big Kappas and all the equipment that I used with them too.

Then the new chapter:
hoping to buy a smaller setup, I stumbled upon a pair of Linn Nexus LS250 speakers being advertised on a local AV forum. I don't know why but I started to read up on them. Consensus seemed to be that:
1) they sounded "bigger" than their actual dimensions may suggest.
2) pretty good bass
3) can be placed VERY close to the rear wall
4) nice highs and never harsh

This was exactly the virtues that I was looking for in a smaller system.

Luckily they were still available by the time that I found enough 'un-biased' info on the web.

Anyway, I took the gamble and set them up in a secondary room to test a bit. Unfortunately that room was a bit on the small side, about 3.5 x 8m. It sounded ok, but not GREAT!

I just decided not to look any further for other speakers, until I have listened to them in the main listening setup.

Wow, wow and wow!

In the large room (120 sqm and all double volume) the Nexus really came onto its own and sounds like no other speaker I have heard before - just awesome. I now have a very basic setup - running FLAC from a Squeezebox server to SB Touch > Audiolab M-DAC > Rotel RB-03 > Linn Nexus LS250. I do not want to change anything in my system - I am now content and extremely happy with the overall sound.

I think the biggest mistake people might make with the Linn Nexus LS250, is to assume that their physical small dimensions represent their character - it doesn't. These speakers sound so much "bigger" than they actually are and deserve a large room to really strut their stuff.

I think it is one of the most pleasing sounding speakers and they produce absolutely natural music and do not know how to offend, even in rooms with zero room treatment. They are also capable of excelling in most genres.

...just avoid using them in small rooms.

Martiat   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 01, 2007]
Strength:

Corrrectly connected, these small speakers deliver a very pure sound, high claity and very good bass.

Using low quality cables and no bi-wiring, the sound, especially in the trebbles lacks a bit of sharpness.

I own these spekears for quite a long while. I recently renewed the rest of my Hi-Fi equipment (amplifier: HK 970 and new high quality cables). The sound was good, but with a rather high level amp, good cables and bi-wiring, it has incredibly gained in clarity. I was also thinking of replacing thes louspeakers, but now, I will go on for a while. I would very much recommend to all users to simply invest in high quality cables and bi-wiring. The difference is incredible for a small investment.

Richard   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 29, 2001]
Strength:

Amazing clarity in mid range, Construction

Not the best with fast confused tracks i.e. Radiohead although this may be the recording and band

Just upgraded from B&W602 speakers. Found these secondhand for only £80 - great value. Demoed with Arcam equipment as my hifi is at home overseas.

Amazed at acoustic midrange clarity and tidy bass. Still early days but shows the bargains that can be had S/H.

This review obviously at the price that I paid.

Denis Landry   Audiophile [Feb 14, 2001]
Strength:

Very open, very quick & dynamic, musical

limited bass headroom

Have owned these for over 10 years and I love them. They play any kind of music very well, and stand up against larger speakers. They go down well in the bass just not as loud, but they do it without distortion. They are very quick and dynamic and open. I have since added a Mirage Bps150i subwoofer but run the linns unfiltered. I run them biwired (worth the extra cable) and would like to biamp if I ever find a linn powertek. I do not have the Ku-Stone stands but have the original stands. I have filled these with a combination of stand and lead shot. The improvement was dramatic. A great speaker for lovers of music!
Denis Landry

Matt   an Audio Enthusiast [May 29, 1999]

Pretty good speakers, they aren't made anymore and are close cousins to the Linn Helix (also out of production.) I enjoy the unmuddled bass and clear, real highs. I bought these used. I have had no problems with listener fatigue either. Although the superior performance between this set of speakers and my others (advents) isn't immediately audiable, the difference is noticeable when I switch back to them. My only complaint is the sound isn't as free as I would expect, although I hear bi-wiring helps this problem. 3.5 stars

LINN   Audiophile [Nov 11, 1999]

I believe I bought mine in the early 90's with the Kustone stands. This is truly wonderful speaker that provided many hours of listening enjoyment. The Nexus were designed, as were most of the Linn speakers of that time, by the fellow who later started Krix. The system at that time was a Powertek, Pretek, Basik turntable/K9, Theta/Sony source, Audio Alchemy DTI with PS2, K400 cable and Linn interconnects. The Nexus were designed to fill a fairly large room and accomplished this well, having more of a expansive sound with less detail compared to the newer Linn offerings. A great bargain used if you can find a pair with the Kustone stands.

Jess Nielsen   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 07, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent speakers

They have the best sound when they are bi-wired.

The speakers have a brilliant bass and an extraordinary volume. When you don't bi-wire you will probably notice that sound isn't as free as expected.

No further comments - the speakers have a brilliant sound and I can strongly recommend them to future buyers.

Con   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 19, 2001]

had them for years always loved them. Upgraded my whole system but wanted them to remain part of the new system. Added linn karic & numeric with denon 3300 amp, linn centric, linn secrik, 2 x rel 200q subs. still cuts it. dont want to change. bigger, better dearer out there but if you love them,grew with them, why change. Will still have them when I'm 69