LINN Espek Floorstanding Speakers

Espek

The new Linn Espek is a stunning, powerful, floor-standing loudspeaker designed to give thrilling, no compromise, pitch accurate performance in two-channel and multi-channel applications.

mjptexas   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 16, 2005]
Strength:

Fit and finish Well integrated drivers Solid base smooth highs easy to place

Nothing worth mentioning (other than the fact that Linn products are getting really expensive)

The Linn Espeks replaced a pair of Martin Logan Sequel IIs that had been in my system for about 12 years. I really, really liked the Martin Logans, but a major remodel of my listening room into a listening room/home office rendered them unuseable. I needed to replace them with something that you could actually listen to 'off axis' (my main listening chair sets in the sweet spot, but my desk is off to the side of the room and against a wall), so back to the world of dynamic (read box) speakers. I listened to Dynaudios, PSBs and the Linns. I really liked what I would call the smooth response of the Espeks. What really amazed me was how smooth and tight the bass was. I have been listening to these speakers for a couple of years now (I'm posting the review because I just wrote up reviews on some new components I added to my system) and rate what I would call 'listenability' to be very good. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and have yet to find anything that the Espeks don't do justice to. In addition to the solid bass I mentioned earlier the Espeks a have very smooth highs. Linn has done a nice job of making sure all the drives play well together. I find the Espeks to be a little more forgiving as to room placement than some speakers I've had(such as the Martin Logans). Its my understanding that this is a Linn trait so if your listening room layout is less than ideal you may want to audition these speakers. I have had speakers whose performance seems to change based on playback level. I have not had that problem with the Espeks. They produce a pleasing, integrated listening experience from soft levels to very loud levels.

Racercarp   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 11, 2002]
Strength:

Very revealing and detailed, but warm not bright or forward (like a good jazz club!). Shows strengths (or weaknesses) of your front end. Exceptional bass extension and detail. Ability to go Active! (this is a huge incintive and upgrade) or even bi-wire/bi-amp or tri-wire/tri-amp!

Shows strengths (or weaknesses) of your front end. Makes cable choices more important.

I don't consider myself an "audiofile" (I use the word enthusiast), but the new Linn Espeks make me want to be! I listened to ALOT of speakers before purchasing these (with a set of Katans for rear surround and a 5120 center). I thought I had my mind made up on a used set of B&W 802's (new ones were out of the question) which sounded incredible. I brought my wife in to the local Linn dealer in Bellevue, WA to see (and hear) the B&W's (after all this was a major purchase). She was not too impressed with thier looks or sound! We were shown a set of Linns lower end speakers which didn't do it for me (they were ok) but I noticed the good looks of the new Espeks from across the room. The salesman demo'd them for us and the sound was incredible! It was as if we had entered a jazz club where someone (very good) was playing live. It was very warm and mello, not forward at all with detailed mids and highs, and the bass, oh! the bass! The bass was incredibly tight and quick and very good extension. This was the speaker I had been searching for. After getting them home, set up and run in, I've noticed that they are sensitive (or revealing) to source components and cables. I've tried very many cables and determined that Nordosts Blue Heaven work well with the mids and highs (this is in bi-amp mode) as does Analysis plus Silver Oval. These silver cables really awaken the highs and make them sparkle! Before with copper cables I thought they were a little laid back. A good beefy copper cable such as AP oval nine (or even twelve) or Nordosts super flatline works very well for the bass. Eventually I will get these into Active mode and really get some awesome sound. Until then I will enjoy my modest system with great looking and sounding speakers which have a huge WAF! System consists of: -Sony SACD/DVD player -B&K AVR 307 recvr. -Linn 5125 Amp -Espeks front channels -Katans rear channels -5120 center channel -Monster cable 3500 A/C filter -All Nordost and Analysis plus speaker cable and interconnects -Zu cable A/C cords -Sony 57" XBR HDTV -Toshiba HDTV Sat recvr.

Similar Products Used: Carver, M&K, demo'd Wilson Audio, B&W, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Thiel, Aerial acoustics (second choice but pricey), Martin Logan and many others (all were very good).
rolon   AudioPhile [Aug 06, 2002]
Strength:

Sound great.

Not a weakness but they seem to be just a hair less efficient than the 5140's, just a hair. Not enough to make any difference in amplifier decisions.

They are much better than the 5140's. Smoother top end and mid, stronger bass and better imaging. The differences are not subtle. CD's that sounded poor on the 5140's, sound good on the Espek's. I always blamed the recording. I was wrong. ....well, the recordings aren't really very good otherwise they would have sounded better on the 5140's, but the Espek's make everything sound good, relatively speaking. I run them in active mode with an all Linn system.

Chris LaVoy   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 04, 2002]

Upgraded from 5140s and run active. Substantial improvement over 5140s, espcially in bass which is faster and far more solid. New fabric tweeter better than old ceramic job; smoother and far more resolving. Merits of old 5140 were debatable based on preferences, but the Espek is hard to criticize; Linn has created a speaker on par with the other biggies in this price range (Thiel, B&W, Revel, Vanderstein, etc.), which will satisfy those with more traditional audiophile tastes. There are certainly better speakers, but you have to spend a lot more money.