Klipsch Reference RF-3 Floorstanding Speakers

Reference RF-3

Tower speaker. 2-way with dual aluminum cone 8" woofers, and horn loaded 1" titanium dome tweeter

rigox   AudioPhile [May 26, 2015]

Nice! Nice, I love them I took me a while to find them, they sound great........!

uman5819   AudioPhile [Feb 06, 2015]

I bought these well cared for on CL for ~$400. best decision I ever made. These are bullet proof. Every time I turn it up I just get more music! I would say the low middle is a bit muddy but the spread of detail from top to bottom is magnificent! They can kick ass on Kings of Leon screaming guitars, they can present Norah, Sarah, and Ella with dazzling reality of stage presence, and bottom out the bass on Lorde without missing a beat! I have logged hundreds of hours on these and never heard them do anything bad. I power them with the Denon 3803 which I have to say, leaves a lot to be desired in the onboard DAC area. Add a new modern technology high grade DAC between source and amp. I got mine for about $200 I think its the Tubemagic, you will not be disappointed. I did three A/Bs: 1) with the Toshiba CD player pulling DAC duty, then direct to amp (Denon has a switch to bypass all onboard DAC). 2) the optical output from CD player with Denon pulling DAC duty, 3) TubeMagic DAC to Denon direct again. TubeMagic of course also has a tube output. Of the four sources the Tube Magic either in DAC or tube mode was the hands down winner everytime. Using Denon's DAC left vocals muddy and messy and crackly. I turned down pianos, it was ugly. P.S. The toshiba has a 1 bit DAC, whatever that means.

pabxpangulo68   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 17, 2010]

for those privileged who have the RF-3 series II, I salute you!!!.....after 7 years, the more I listen the more I love them, these are already a legend....by the way, I took a look into more Klipsch recent versions and non of them didn't impress me..I better stay with my old RFs...they really rock!!!

uman1916   AudioPhile [Nov 13, 2009]

These babies rock whatever you throw at them. They just keep doing it again and again effortlessly. Everytime I hear them I fall in love all over again.

arjn   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 07, 2003]
Strength:

Great Bass effect..with a punch to it No need of a Sub with HT Sounds Great with Tube amps Need very little power to to theie high efficiency

Feet are cheesy and could have been better Do not sound very great at low volumes

I Bought this 4 months back. I ahd auditioned it with Paradigm,Polk and Bose. Although my heart was set on the Amphion Xenons, the price factor made me go for this. After the fist 50 hours of breakin I am in love with these babies. They play both classical as well as rock with equal ease and my receiver is hardly tested ! I find no need for a subwoofer ...Just put in hell Freezes over by he Eagles and when the drums in Hotel California hit in...My god.. its amazing !! I use it primarily for Music and find no need for a Sub. Even in HT mode, I dont need a Sub as the extensions is pretty good..but the salm (Which i dont particularly care for) is not there and can only be provided by a Sub. There are reviews that say these are bright, but my ears seem to really take on to these and can spend hours listening (Before breaking in they were harsh) I do like to go around and listen to other speakers, but when comparing t most in these price range like Def techs, KEF, Mirage ii come back happy that i bought these. Additionally these look Great without the grill and really Stand out...anf the moment you put the grill back on they kind of merge in...I could go on...

Similar Products Used: Bose AM5 ,Pioneer, Wharfedale 8.3s, monitor audio bronze3.
pangulo68   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 29, 2003]
Strength:

all

none

For more than 2 years I had hooked the Bose AC5 III to my Harman Kardon AVR7000 and used them most of all for music. For a long time I was convinced the sound was quiet nice but then I started to notice the absence of some sounds specially in the 200-300 Hz range. I always blamed the AVR7000 so I hooked an AudioControl EQ C-101 to help fix that hole. Then I moved from music CD-s to DVD´s so I had to hook a center channel and surround speakers. As the Bose Center Speaker was too expensive and my budget too short I started to look at the reviews and narrowed it to klipsch RC3 II, and I couldn´t beleave it. The sound coming out the RC3 was way better than that of the Bose, and for the first time I started to hear sounds I didn´t know were there, so my next goal was to get rid of the Bose and start saving money to buy the RF3´s. It took me a while but finally I bought them about 3 months ago and this is the result of the final system set up: H/K AVR 7000 Receiver Klipsch RF3 II mains Klipsch RC3 II center Polk R20 surround AudioControl C-101 Eq Real Time Analizer Pioneer DVD-656A Velodyne CHT-12 Sub I bought the Klipsch RF3´s not only because the center channel impressed me, but because of the amount of reviews with very good ratings, and before doing so I also gave them an audition just to make sure. Now the AVR7000 sounds different, clear and crisp. At the begining the bass was quit weak but after almost 40 hrs of break in they sounded better, some times I dont´t even use the Velodyne because the bass they give is more than enough. I had to relisten to all my CD´s and DVD´s because now I can hear a lot of sounds the Bose was just unable to reproduce. One day just for fun, I used the C-101 which has a Real Time Analizer built in to compare the frequency response of the Bose against the Klipsch and I realized that the klipsch has an almost flat response starting at 40Hz up to 16KHz, just a little fall in the last two 1/8 whereas the bose response is totally irregular, with a dramatic fall at the last 3 1/8 and very weak at the first around the 40 Hz. Other thing worth to mention here is the amazing difference in sensitivity, with the Bose I used to put the volume between -5 and 0 db on the AVR7000 to hear it loud, but with the Klipsh, I can get as much db with just -15 db, which is good because i don´t need to force the amplifier. I you ever consider buying speakers for under $1000 go Klipsch, you will never regret, they are hard to find, specially here in Costa Rica, but if you see them, go buy them. I demo them to my friends with the drum solo in "Moby Dick" by John Bonham in the Led Zeppeling DVD, you can actually feel Bonham and the drums just as if you were standing right close to him.

Similar Products Used: Bose Polk JVL
Wyloch   Audio Enthusiast [May 06, 2003]
Strength:

As always, brilliant, articulate highs and plentiful, resolved bass, well tuned mids.

Ha! This is Klipsch we're talkin' about!

One particularly impressive and downright surprising feature was the mid frequencies. Klipsch always delivers rediculous highs and plenty of low, but commonly causes mids to get drowned out, resulting in an emptier sound. The RF-3s seemed very well balanced. These fit great with my bookshelf KSB 1.1s as rears and 60 watts of Yamaha going through them.

Similar Products Used: Denon Polk Audio
arjn   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 2003]
Strength:

Punchy base, "Live" Soundstage.

Wish they were lighter :)

First of all *Thanks* to all the reviews posted ..they have been the most helpful I did around two weeks of analysis before zeroing in on Klipsch, Paradigm (Monitor) and Bose AM5 (Of course availability in Singapore was a factor), On sound quality to my not-so-trained ears Paradigm and Klipsch were both awesome (Enigma on Bose was quite nice and sounded slightly nicer than a Sony I owned..but was I blown away by both Klipsch and Paradigm ) 196 reviews and a rating of 4.78 with so many audiophiles could not be wrong so RF-3II it was !!! Bought these just 2 weeks back and No regrets.(Prices here in singapore are usually a way higher than US prices). Bought these primarily for Audio as we see very little movies and these *rock* in all categories from Classical & Fusion to Rock. As mentioned by so many folks before please do give these a fair hearing before buying anything else. BTW I hear a new line based on the Reference series is on the works and to come out some time in May-June

Similar Products Used: None worth a mention here
whell   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 11, 2003]
Strength:

Very honest, uncolored reproduction of recordings.

Nit-picky stuff: handle grilles with care, avoid contact with woofers, etc. See other posts for details.

I've owned a great many speakers in my 25 years as a DJ, and audio enthusiast. My first paid of speakers was a pair of Infinity QA's I bought in 1978. Since then, many speaker brands have come and gone, but the Klipsch line are starting to become fixtures in my home. For the price, I've not heard anything that can compare. Vocals are clear and present, great bass (for their price/performance level) with the right equipment, no sub required for music. Strings, guitar, cymbals and mostother instruments just sound "right". DVD Movies sound just as alive, if not more so, than being in the neighborhood theater. In my shared HT/Music system, these speakers are the perfect fit. I have them paired with the other matching speakers in the Klipsch reference line.

Similar Products Used: Magenpan, JBL, Monitor Audio, Infinity, DCM, etc.
eddiejoe   AudioPhile [Nov 21, 2002]
Strength:

clean mids tight bass hungry for power

none

I've had these babies for about two years now. I'm running them with a B&K 140 watt amp and B&K pre-amp. I am using the Mirage BPS 400 powered sub along with them. I can't say enough about them. I demo'd them with Metallica's Black CD. It was just what the doctor ordered. The Sand man came alive. I compared them too a pair of Infinity's and Bostion Accoustic's in the same price range and it wasn't even close. These babies rock. I listen to alot of metal, hard rock, blues, and jazz. It's like no matter how much I turn them up they just sound better. I'm thinking about getting the B&K 220 watt amp. I don't know how they sound on surround cause this system is strickly for rockin the house. Between the mirage and these boys my neighbors hate me big time.