Klipsch KSF 8.5 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 02, 2003]
James La Bella
AudioPhile

Strength:

Deep Base, High Clarity

Noe that I've found so far

I got them on a asuggestion from a fellow Klipsch Enthusiast , and I've not been disapointedonce, ultra full sound, and I've always loved horn style tweeters... I will be purchacing more of the same series to finish out my 6.1 surround set up...

Infinity, and Boston Accustic

[Nov 27, 2002]
mages var
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clean high and mid, tight bass,can play loud enought without distortion

none for me

I bought this babies from one of the audio shop nearby to my home.When I look ta this speaker I thought this speaker won't perfome like what I expect.my the salesman ask me to listen and try.Jesus Christ! when I listened i was shock and really suprise.the design of the speaker but the really counts.In stereo sound it perfom really great.very balance feel like life when we try with song from eagles . then we try on movie Gods! the sound was really super.the dynamic handling was so good until I feel like in the theater.with no question I pay cash and took to my home.I using Onkyo Txd656,pioneer dvd and this speaker really beyond my expecteation.Untill today I really love this babies and Im goin to sell to anybody.thanks to Klipch

B&W 604,Kef,boston

[Aug 23, 2002]
Tim
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

All around great - My walls are shaking, sound wonderful at low volume as well. Bass resonse across the board.

Live in an appartment so my neighbors don't like them too much’

After reading the reviews of these speakers I was thrilled to find a pair at a local electronics store. This was the last pair they had and I haven't regretted buying them for a second. They look great, sound wonderful and are hard to beat for 300 bucks. I drive them with an Onkyo 595 which is more than enough power to really make them sound terrific. Also the base response is amazing and for audio alone I feel that there really isn't a need for an additional subwoofer. My dad has had Klipsh Forte's for years (that are also really really nice sounding) and these can match or outperform his even though they only have one horn instead of two and an 8" woofer instead of a 12" one. If you can find a pair of these - GET THEM. {

Kilpsh Forte

[Mar 22, 2002]
CESAR SAAVEDRA
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

QUALITY, LOOKS, POWER HANDLING,WOW!!!!!

NONE!

THESE SPEAKERS ARE THE THING FOR THE MONEY.THEY BLOW AWAY EVERYTHING UNDER 1500.00. BOSE, POLK, B&W ECT. THEY ONLY SPEAKERS THAT I CAN SAY SOUND BETTER ARE LEGACY, BUT THE PRICE DIFFERRENCE IS INCREDIBLE. I''VE USED THX TEST, AND DR.CRANKENSTEIN BASS TEST WELL BELLOW 20HZ!!THEY FLUTTERED A LITTLE AT FULL POWER.225 RMS. THEY BASS IS AMAZING. DON''T NEED SUBS. LIKE OTHERS SAY. JUST SET THEM UP RIGHT AND CHECK FOR YOUR SELF.

BOSE, B&W, LEGACY, M&K, POLK, JAMO

[Mar 05, 2002]
JAMS
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

A wonderfull set for the price. To get something better you will need to pay four figure prices.

A good Subwoofer is a must.

I also agree that these units are simply great for a price tag of only 300 (Im not sure I would say the same if I had to pay the original 500+). They are detailed, handle transients with precission, work great at high volume levels. Imaging is tricky, wont work fine in small rooms bbut it pretty good for medium ones. A good subwoofer is a must, Im using a small M&K which delivers amazing sound for the size but doesnt match the Klipsches well enough

Similar Products Used:

Boses (If you dont want the truth, just to get "impressed"),Yamahas and JM Labs (not mine, some day I will have the money to buy a set)

[Feb 06, 2002]
Chensoendo
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Awesome well-blended sound, Good bass, Extremely clear and accurate highs.

None I can find.

These speakers are simply amazing. I consider myself lucky to live in the same city as Onecall.com, so I could just go down to the store to pick them up to avoid shipping. I push the speakers with an Onkyo TX-DS575, which seems to compliment the speakers quite well. I have been using them for about 6 months now and the sound just seems to get better over time. At first the horns were a little harsh, but now I have found them to be softer and more enjoyable. The bass is extremely good for only having a single 8" driver, but I would still recommend a good sub to complete your system. Overall, for the money needed to pick up a set of these, I don''t think there is a better speaker. These speakers are simply a steal.

Pinnacle Gold Towers

[Jan 17, 2000]
Jon
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Detail, soundstage, tight bass, footprint

None as yet

These speakers have amazed me from the first day I hooked them up.

Music: Percussive and string instruments sound as if they are in the room with you. The soundstage seems wider and longer than the room. Given that this is a 2-way speaker, I thought that midrange would be sacrificed in favor of treble and bass, but such is not the case with the KSF 8.5. Treble is not too bright (a common complaint against many earlier Klipsch speakers), the midrange is THERE, and the bass is solid without being overbearing--a contrast to a former roommate's Cerwin Vegas, which seemed to have been constructed for bass production only. These speakers do not take much power to get LOUD, and when the volume rises they do not clip or distort. I have found that these speakers are pretty transparent, though: CDs that were well-recorded in the studio are amazingly lifelike through these speakers, while those that were not are shrill and fatiguing.

HT: I also use them in a Pro-Logic HT setup with the matching C5 center, and they work seamlessly together (5.1 is still another year away for me, I'm afraid). I'm sure a subwoofer would be nice to emphasize the low bass range, but I can get the floor shaking without twisting the volume knob very far. For the moment, the 8.5s are just fine on their own.

I picked up these speakers at Tweeter for $300 for the pair. A steal, considering they originally went for $650. They have been discontinued, but are still available at some dealers. Overall, they are extremely efficient, do an incredible job of reproducing detail and realism in both music and movies, and are one of the best deals available.

Klipsch KSB 3.1

[Jan 31, 2000]
Dennis
Casual Listener

Strength:

awesome sound for the money

didn't find any yet

I went out shopping to replace a pair of 15 or 20 year old Pioneer speakers. My first stop was Circuit City where I was fairly impressed by a pair of Polks (forget the model #). My next stop was at Bryn Mawr ( which is a Tweeter Co. )and they had these Klipsch 8.5's o na "wise buy" for $300/pr. , well when the salesman cranked these babies up i was blown away by these babies....they ROCK !!!!!. Well needless to say I was loading them up in my truck that same day. When I got them home I was even more impressed by how much better they sounded in my living room. I think I'm going to finish out my h/t system with the Klipsch center and rear speakers. I also almost bought a Klipsch 10" sub, but I did a little shopping there and found that the Energy blew it's doors in. All I need to do now is decide which receiver to buy here, the 555es or avr-3300 and I'll be totally set !!!!!

[Feb 23, 2000]
Frank Carter
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent clarity, great bass, wonderful value.

none so far

I wanted to up grade my sub/sat system to larger speakers. So I went to local stores in CO comparing tower's. I was willing to spend around $700. I had looked at some Boston's, Def Tech's, and Infinity's before deciding on the 8.5's. I overlooked the 8.5's simply because I assumed the 8" wouldn't give sufficient bass and I didn't think the horns would play sufficient midrange. Boy was I wrong. Man do these speakers sing. When I found these on clearance for $388 I bought them. The bass is wounderful with great definition, and high's and midrange with great attention to detal. The horn's are not harsh, not bright, not dull, but just right. Same with the 8" it has just the right amount of upperend bass and more low end than I could ever expect from an 8". To cover my extreme lows I added a KSW-12 and I couldn't be happier. These were first set of Klipsch speaker's I bought in HT system. I later bought the KSF-C5 center, and KSF-S5 surround's. Everything is powered by a Yamaha RX-v995. If I could I would rate them higher than 5 because a rating of 5 doesn't do them justice.

[Jan 18, 2000]
Juan Bauza
Audiophile

Strength:

Great Bass, very good midrange and highs

Still Looking !!!!!

During the purchase of a new house, it quickly became apparent that I was going to have to sell my loved KEF's and settle for a sub/sat style system. I sold my KEF's to a close friend (so I still get to see and hear them) and substituted them with a pair of old Infinity's RS 2001.5 that I had lying around. After a few months of listening to Power Towers (DEF TECH Pro 400, 2002, 2004 as well as Klipsch) I decided to go separate sub and mains. Ironic, because the 8.5's are bigger than the KEF's. Huh! I picked up a pair of 8.5 at a local dealer (It was the last pair, so I got them below cost) and I am very happy. I also purchased a Klipsch KSW-10 sub to go along. I should get my sub today....... Using Klipsch KSF-S5 in white for rears. Center channel for now is an Infinity that will be replaced latter.

I am using an Accurus DIA 100, Toshiba 2108 , MIT Interconnects and Speaker wires. I use the system for 2 channel listening as well as pro-logic for now, (Yamaha Dolby Prologic Processor). I will be upgrading to Dolby Digital in the future.

Anyway, if you can find a pair, it's worth listening to and if you like them, purchase. If not, the RF-3 sound very similar and are new for 2000. A little more expensive than what the 8.5 where originally.....

KEF's C-65