Klipsch KLF 20 Floorstanding Speakers

Klipsch KLF 20 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 14, 2018]
leathalism

Strength:

I picked up these speakers used on eBay for $600 and have used them almost as much as the Cornwall’s I have also. So I am lucky I have a direct comparison. I use vinyl almost exclusively through a Benz Micro Glider MC Cart and Audio Research amps. I have to say that the KLF20s are a rock solid performer, open rich and warm. These units need carefully placing and ridged spiking. For all the listening time and enjoyment, I find myself drifting back to the Cornwall’s. If I didn’ Own the Cornwall’s, I could quite happily live with the KLFs.

The only lacking features really is deep bass, but then again I am spoilt.

Price Paid:

Legend in sound

[May 17, 2016]
reza tahami
AudioPhile

Best of the best speaker in the world and very good sound with Marantz amp

[Apr 05, 2016]
Peter
AudioPhile

Funny I'm writing this review so late after these wonderful speakers came out. I must say after owning so many other speakers( JBL SVA2100, B&W, Mirage, Martin Logan and countless others) This is by far my favorite pair, and I may never get rid of them! They truly sound like you are listening to live music with every CD, or bluray disc. I couldn't be happier, if you can find a pair do yourself a favor and pick them up! I am in the process of getting either a KRELL (Old school) or Pass Labs to mate with these speakers to make them really shine!!! Klipsch for life!!!

[Mar 24, 2011]
basshead
Audio Enthusiast

Really a legend speaker best ever made!!

[Apr 05, 2010]
Luckless Pedestrian
Audio Enthusiast

Love these! Like other high quality loudspeakers of value, the 100db+ sensitivity results in lower distortion and lower power requirements. Compare for yourself. Every 3db increase in sensitivity cuts a speaker's power requirement in half. That implies that driving 100db speakers with 40 watts (e.g., KLF 20) is like driving 91db speakers with 320 watts (e.g., Energy 8). You can easily hear the quality in the KLF 20's. belkan

[Jun 18, 2009]
Torment Faktory
AudioPhile

Picked this pair of speakers up along with a Polkaudio 200W subwoofer and a nice Yamaha (can't remember the model #) reciever for (don't hate me!) $600.00!! All of it in mint condition. I'd been using a pair of 6.5" Alesis MK2 studio monitors for my home studio and decided to see how the KLF 20's would sound in their place. This was 3 months ago and the KLF 20's are still there and the Alesis's have long since been sold. These speakers sound utterly amazing! The frequency responce is about as flat as I've ever heard, rivaling even my bandmate's pair of $1500.00 M Audio DSM2's! About the only complaint I have is their weight. They seem like they weigh a freakin' TON! Almost as much as my Randall Warhead 4X12 speaker cabinets! Anyway, Can't say enough about these speakers! They REALLY rock!!

[Jul 09, 2006]
Frank Carl
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great amount of bass, no subwoofer needed, unless you are a true bass head. Very accurate speakers with a huge soundstage.

None so far, just a bit heavy.

These speakers are great overall speakers, I have been shopping around for years to find a pair of these in pristine condition. They are beautiful, and are way ahead of their time. You will not be able to find a pair of speakers within this price range that will even be able to touch these. These speakers pound on home theater, and are very accurate when listening to music.

Klipsch Reference Line Klipsch RF-7's

[Mar 09, 2004]
dcassat
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Presence is the best. Wonderful speaker even after 5 years...

Manufacturing issue in this model year. Back of speaker was attached with poor quality glue. This is a known issue by the manufacturer. This can be fixed by them or the buyer if you wish to take the speaker apart and use good glue, I used liquid nails.

Bottom line: This is one of the finest speakers you can buy. There are SO MANY SUBJECTIVE FACTORS that are reflected in many of the reviews posted here. Issues such as cable, bi-amping, model of receiver, capacitors used in the crossover circuitry, and phase of the moon are subtleties that you may or may not hear. My advice: Listen to this speaker, listen to a dozen others and then come back and listen again. Klipsch makes speakers with horns. Horns push the sound up front. You may not like this or you may love it just like the many ten's of others that have reported here. My opinion is that it is still the finest speaker for music in this price range. I really haven't listened to speakers costing thousands more so I can't make a fair comparison there. But, I have been listening to speakers for 30+ years and love this sound. The type of room you have and the placement of the speakers will make way more difference in the sound than your wire, receiver, capacitors, CD player brand, bi-amping and moon phase combined. Opposite surfaces should be different, ie: if the ceiling is reflective (smooth and hard) you need a soft floor surface (carpet). Some walls should have absorbing qualities. There needs to be sound absorbing material in your listening room (soft furniture, draperies) or your sound will be wacked, I promise! This review is as much of a testimony to the art and science of the Klipsch philosophy as it is to this particular speaker. And no, I don't work for them! Klipsch speakers have more 'presence' than any other speaker I have ever heard, period. So, if you can't find the KLF-20, listen to the other models - but only during a full moon (he,he).

Paradigm, Infinity.

[Nov 24, 2002]
niner
AudioPhile

Strength:

Integration of lower midrange up to 20khz. A gentlemen before me mentioned that once you change crossover components the sound really opens up. While I don't doubt him, and I'm sure his speakers performance went up another level, I can stiil hear all the little squeaks from Diana Krall's chair, and her lips closing and opening just as I hear them on my Senheiser 600 Maxed Out Home Headroom amp. I still wish I had his soldering techniques and know how to perform the same changes he did.

Ultimate coherence across the band....that's all that MY ears wish for.

These might be the speakers that I keep for the rest of my life. They aproximate a real concert better than many, many speakers out there that have ridiculous prices. I'm not just talking about dynamics, or sheer impact, but also truth of timbre (which I value "HIGHLY"), and unbelievable clarity. They also image and soundstage like "champs", if you take the time to position them well. They need a fairly large room to be at their best. My room is 26x14x17 (l,w,h). The inside corner of the speaker is 56 inches away from the back wall while the outside corner is 57 3/4 inches away. The distance between the tweeters is 7 feet 7 inches, I found this to be the perfect blend between tonality and imaging. I sit 11 feet away from the plane of the speakers. At this point, using a laser pen to check for accuracy, I find the inside of the speakers form an imaginary plane towards me that is 24 inches away from my shoulders. DO NOT aim these gems directly at the listener or they will drive you, and all of your friends out of the room. These are unlike regular box speakers in that they don't have to be severely toed in to work their magic. I really hope this info helps other Klipsh owners in optimizing their sound. I listen to Duke, L.Armstrong, M.Davis, B.Goodman, E.Fitzgerld, Patti Page,the Count, B.B. King, J.L.Hooker, C.C.R., Zeppelin, Stones Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, string quartets, symphonic works from Bruno Walter, and Leonard Bernstein, Mexican music, you name it, I probably dig it. I've auditioned many high end speakers in my system, that is the only true way to determine if they are right for you. Tried the Audio Phisic Virgo's, WAY TOO finicky. Spendor SP 100's, I loved these but I couldn't get rid of a bad bass peak that I'm sure was caused by my room. Incidently, the Spendors produce the human voice better than anything I ever heard, even better than the quad 988's. But the Klipsh's are right there with them. Overall this speaker does too many things really , really well and in the long run I find these to be extremely smooth, engaging, and emotional. I just can't say enough about these. Good luck in your pursuit of music nirvana. It took me almost three years to write this review, I couldn't pry myself away from my listening chair. I woke up very early today, so I finally got a chance to sit and write. My system: Rega Planar 9 Sony SCD1 (Shunyata King Cobra pwr cord) BAT VK5i BAT VKP5 BAT VK60's (monos, don't need this much power, but you can tell the sound open up) Nordost SPM REF (cd to pre and pre to amp) Cardas Golden Cross (phono) Cardas Neut. Ref. (biwire speaker wire) PS Audio 300 (Lab cables and mini Labs for all components)

Similar Products Used:

Dozens of speakers, I don't have time to name them, the kids are awake. I must go listen now.