Klipsch Cornwall Floorstanding Speakers

(See reviews)

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 19, 2018]
RCBashaw

Strength:

My Cornwall (1’s) were purchased used two years ago! I’ve lived on the hifi merry-go-round most of my adult life, ended up even owning an audio store! Sold Theils, Apogee, B&W, Snell, Vandersteen and Klipsch, lots of great speakers. Overall each speaker is a mixed bag, and the room you put them in can make or break their performance. The Cornwall’s always haunted me, something about those speakers. Well my Quad 57’s broke down again and I began to think about Cornwall’s. This fellow two states away had to sell his. Freshly veneered, with new woofers and upgraded poly caps and a real inductor on the woofer they sound glorious. At last I’m home!

The modulus of impedance shows a woofer running around 4 ohms, you need to make sure you use an amp that's happy with that load. (No AV Receiver that will not handle less than 6 ohms.) Otherwise a good clean 5 Watts will serve you well. They are BIG, and Heavy and the bass is smoother if they are lifted about 4 inches off the floor! But Klipsch (or Bob Crites) are there for parts, etc. (I have no experience with the newer Model 3!)

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1978
[Jan 16, 2017]
Victor
Casual Listener

With Certain Vega Floor standing speakers to improve their sound is a cheap and quick fix. Simply seal up the rear ports. This will turn them into acoustic suspension speakers. Muddy bass will be gone replaced by a smooth base. It will also slightly lower the volume of the woofer. That allow the midrange and tweeters to play louder giving a clear detailed sound, more audiophile.
For the Cornwall 3s many people don't like the sound of the midrange horn. Simple fix is to change the crossover frequency from the woofer to midrange. Bring the woofer father up and the same with the midrange. Example cut the woofer off at 6khz. This will release the midrange so it doesn't have to work as hard improving the sound. A $10 fix.

[Jul 13, 2016]
geoff.
Audio Enthusiast

Review is for Cornwall 1's, last production run. K-77 tweeter with square magnet, K-57-K squaker, K-33-E woofer with square magnet, and B-3 crossover.

Over the years I have owned many speakers I THOUGHT were good, really good.

At some point Klipsch Heresy's came into my life and they changed my appreciation of music forever. But I still like the bass in my face. But ONLY if it is in phase! Even with a separate subwoofer under each speaker I could not get the right sound.

I thought I found the answer with a monster pair of Cerwin-Vega CLSC 215's. That is until I listened to the Herseys agian and heard how much detail was missing to get that bass.

Then I stumbled onto this pair of Cornwalls. The most I ever paid for a set of speakers, and now I know why.

I have no use for any other speaker in a two channel set-up now. Sold nearly all of them, Heresy's included, model I's and II's. Sold the Vega's. Sold the PSB Stratus Silver i's.

The Forte II's I own have detail, but the Corwalls have all that AND the punch in the gut! Even at LOW volume they deliver impact. They beg to be turned up. Not because they need to be louder, but because it doesn't make any sense not to!

No compression at high volume, no lack of detail at any volume, and the BASS, rock solid bass. I think having the drivers behind the motorboard allows them to be enjoyed in a normal sized room without having to sit 20 feet away.

Once you have heard horns, and like them, you are hooked. Once you hear a 15" woofer, you are hooked. These have it all and sound like they go much lower than the 38 hz spec'd.

And this is a 32 year old pair of un-modified speakers! Cornscala anyone?

I cannot imagine how dynamic the Cornwall III's sound!

[Jan 20, 2016]
Fielding Dickey
Audio Enthusiast

In 1978 I traded 2 Heresys and some cash for my Cornwalls. They moved with me too Florida, have stayed with me during three marriages, and there is a good possibility they will be buried with me. They are the only speakers I've heard whose horns could cut you like a knife while that big 15" woofer beat the breath out of you, I remember reading that during an electronics trade show in the mid 70's Paul Klipsch, to show how efficient the Cornwall was, hooked them up a 1 watt transistor radio (remember those?) and turned the volume up to the point of pain and with no distortion. Even with 100 watt maximum they can break your windows and have neighbors call the police. THAT'S why I got them and why I won't part with them for any amount of money. I love my Cornwalls.

[Feb 20, 2011]
Randy
Audio Enthusiast

My pair of Klipsch Cornwalls just turned 31 years old and they are just as beautiful and sound like they did 31 years ago. They are still such an impressive speaker and so efficient. They are a tank. When buying speakers remember you get what you pay for. I think I paid about $1,600 for the pair in 1980 and they are worth more today than when I bought them.

[Nov 04, 2010]
Tomski
Audio Enthusiast

I still can remember the first time I saw a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. I was initially draw to them for their enormous size, I was 20 years old and I couldn't believe how effortless their sound was, It seemed to just flow through the speaker in a manner I wasn't familar with.
I had to have them ! I went home knowing the next day I was going back to buy them. After a little bargaining I ended up with their demo pair. They were 1983 CWOs. Now 27 years later, I am still just has impressed as I was that first day. Klipsch Heritage speakers work for decades!
There are few things in the consumer world, that you can use on a daily basis and expect to get 30,40,50,or more years of use out of. Klipsch Heritage speakers are one of those items. In one of their brochures they talked about a Heritage speaker being a lifetime investment, Well that is exactly what they are.
If you checkout the review here from 7/20/99 it is from Mitja Borko. He is the author of the " Klipsch Cornwall Loudspeaker Systems- Test report on electroacoustic measurements and listening evaluation"
He has a Masters in Science and is also an Electrical Engineer, In his own words he has " Tested hundreds of loudspeakers"
I first read his review after owning my CWs for about 17 years. His review confirmed everything I ever felt or thought about these speakers. Im sure someone on the Klipsch website could get you a copy if requested. Mitja also gives some praise to the Rogers LS3/5A speakers, Checkout some of the reviews for those speakers and you should be able sense a passion about their speakers as well.

[Sep 23, 2010]
Jim Y
AudioPhile

Oh my gosh, where do I begin. I replaced Bose 901's in 1981 with a used pair of Cornwalls because the 901's did not have enouph bottom for my taste, I started out with a Marantz 2270 reciever, 140 watts. I then plugged in a Carver M400 amp initially to drive the 901's. The 2270 did not have the guts to drive the 901's. The Carver had 5 times the power needed to run the Cornwalls. I now had the volume I desired. Along came the kids and the morgage and college and weddings. I enjoyed the setup for a long time . My kids are grown and I finally upgraded the old stuff. I now have a Martin Logan sub, the Parasound Halo p-3 preamp and the Parasound 2125 250 watt amp and a Cambridge 540c Cd player. Wow!!!. My 30 plus year old Cornwalls ROCK anew. The highs are crystal clean and the mids are powerful. The base is enhanced by the Martin Logan sub. I thought of replacing the Cornwalls, but no more. Klipsch Cornwall speakers are timeless. Buy a pair now and you will never need another speaker.

[Jul 31, 2010]
Dan
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my Cornwalls in 1975 and have never regretted it. Today, 35 years later, they sound as good as ever.
I was attracted to the bass from the 15 inch woofers and have not heard their equal. The quality and longevity surpassed all my expectations. Kudos to Klipsch for a job well done.

[Mar 08, 2010]
cstewart
Audio Enthusiast

In 1986 I bought 2 new Klipsch Cornwalls to compete with a friend of mine that had the Cornerhorns. (Yes we were young and foolish.) Although he paid more for his horns, we concluded that my cornwalls with the two horns and 15inch base was just as good, and actually better for the money.
To this day, 2010, they are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. Over the years I have had several sets of "modern" tech surround sound systems made by Sony, Panasonic and HK, but still, nothing touches the rush of pushing air like the Cornwalls.

[Jan 21, 2010]
j bourne

Hi,
Like a few others--I have owned everything...but have kept many--and my solution is 3 systems--- [1 [ in the den, ARC tube stuff w/ Theils, [1 ] quad Bose 901 Ser 1 in the bedroom w/a Phase 400 etc, and my Living room set, Cornwalls, ARC Tube amp, ss preamp, etc. Unlike the other commentors---I was an audio sales rep back in the 70's including Klipsch.Always liked the Corwalls.
My oddity I suspect-- is after having my K horns for over 20 years--- I just never was that happy w/ them. So I bought a pr of Cornwalls a few years ago and A-B'd them w/ the K Horns.The K-Horns are gone.
I like my sound wet and fat---and the Corwalls do it just right... The K-horns were like a dry white wine......
Best, jpb