KLH 9912 Floorstanding Speakers

3-way Floor speakers

jmkeith1   [Feb 24, 2018]
Pros: I was given these speakers from my neighbor down the street and boy am I surprised! They sound great with my 6-watt single ended tube amplifier and I haven’t even used my audiophile quality interconnects, CD player and D/A processor! Good high, excellent midrange and good bottom end! Especially like the midrange!!! Voices, piano, horns sounds accurate!
Cons: Can’t think of any right now!
Price: 0   New/Used: Used   Year Purchased: 2018
Kenneth Volz   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 03, 2012]

I boought 2 from Heartland America. They were rated at 10-250 watts @ 8 ohms..
My Mcintosh had blown a channel and I bought a Denon 1910 whi does 7/1 or 5/1 and is rated at 93watts and you can have 2 different rooms of music. 28_20,000K sound. Compared to a friend who has JBL Crendous , both a 15" active and a passive and the KLH speakers have a ported 12" and a midrange and a weird metal tweeter that delivers crisp symbals.
When I bring the wattage to 50 per side my skin crawls and everything in the rooms vibrates.
I remember a New Years party at my friend with the JBL's and his Bass made my wife vomit!!!!???
I paid 149$ per speaker. Kiss Gooodbye Curtis MAthes with 15" bass. My original Bose 9 -4" speakers with stands I sold for more than I paid for them.
I am buying 2 studio monitors that are bookshelf front height near the ceiling. I borrow a woofer from another friend once in a while.
These studio moniotors retail for 1100$ for the two.
When I ran a sound room at a local retailer they had nnothing that came close to thes 2 KLH from Heaertland America... At the rtataged warrage of 93 watts per channel they are super....°°°:)

JoeMAMA   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 21, 2011]

This may be a bit of a long review because im bored haha. I picked up 4 of these speakers off of a guy on craigslist for 100$ and for the price that i paid i am honestly ****ing amazed with them and i think they are worth far more. I split the rent on a house with 3 of my buddies and its a 3 bedroom house that is pretty large (keep in mind for later in the review). I live in the basement and my bedroom area is 12' x 12'. i originally had them in there and they sounded terrible so i hoped it was just way to much sound and way to much SPL for that tiny room. After i moved them to my living room area which is 20' x 22' i was glad to find that i was correct. i put one in each corner of the room a foot and a half off of the ground and they sound absolutely amazing. i brought my laptop my receiver and my equalizer to my coffee table and sat there for hours tuning them to my liking. i switched back and fourth between anything from classical to classic rock to new age rock to country to rap (I enjoy alot of varieties of music lol) and once i had them right where i wanted them they proceeded to make me grin from ear to ear multiple times that day. these babies can make your chest hurt from the bass if you want them to, i literally shook pictures off of the first floor walls and im not joking my friend made me buy him two new picture frames lol. as i'm sure you've read in other reviews the tweeters can be extremely ear piercing and this is extremely true... BUT if you have a equalizer handy (my laptop's sound card software has one but it is pathetic so i leave it flat and use an old pioneer equalizer) they can sound as good if not better than far more expensive speakers that i heard. All in all, if your looking for a nice set of speakers and you can find a good deal on a pair (or two :p) of these, grab 'em and try them out because i believe there is a very good chance that you wont be disappointed. Oh and one more thing, i have a very powerful receiver (im unsure of the model because i made it a custom enclosure awhile back because of overheating issues) that puts out 150 watts rms per channel if im not mistaken and it slams the piss out of these speakers and they get LOUD and take it like a champ

CerwinVega   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2005]
Strength:

Bass is the best feature of these speakers and can be overpowering if hooked up correctly to an EQ on your computer.

This is a Big speaker and for some people it might take up too much space. There is better sounding speakers out there obviously but for 100 a pair what do you want? You get what you pay for most of the time.

I purchased this speaker in Christmas of 2000 for $100 a pair not each and I use these for primarily on my computer system. You should have an equalizer as these speakers have treble that can hurt your ears if you crank it up too loud. The speakers go well the matching KLH 2 channel reciever at Best Buy and the equalizer on my computer helps bring out the best in these speakers which is not bad for 100 a pair. I havent had any complaints from these at all and these speakers would be good for anyone just starting out in the audio hobby or people who dont care too much about their sound.

Similar Products Used: Cerwin Vega's, DCM, Pioneer,Lyric
audiokid   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 19, 2003]
Strength:

Great value and excellent bang for the buck. Clear sound at moderate volumes as well. NOT good for extremely loud listening sessions. The lows are fairly responsive, but you need a sub for true bass. The mids are bright and clear, and the highs are brilliant and colorful.

Little bit shabby construction. The fake vinyl covering does not respond well to being moved ( it chips easily). The cabinet is a bit thin. Wiring could be improved ( with all that $ that I don't have) and the magnet could be bigger, but who cares? Also, at extrememly high volumes, the highs get a bit too colorful, and become harsh. The mid loses its snap and becomes lost in the rest of the music. Don't play them like you would a pair of speakers that requires a seperate amp and you'll be just fine! Just don't expect too much from them, because in most cases you get what you pay for.

I want to start by saying that the KLH 9912 is an excellent choice for those of us who have a small budget for audio equipment. They are an excellent value and they perform great when compared to other speakers in their price range. All of you out there who own a set of speakers that costs more than $1000 really need to stop picking on those of us with little money to spend in the quest for good audio equipment. KLH is good for us, so leave them alone! If you don't like it because it is so cheap then buy something else that you WILL enjoy, and STOP complaining! Now, on to my loyal KLH fans. Guys, the 9912 is a good speaker, no doubt. It is NOT designed to be a home theater speaker. Seriously people, does the 9912 "blend" with your decor? Does it provide a "seamless" soundstage? Is it magnetically shielded? No. It is designed for use as a main stereo speaker. Even so, I love my 9912's. I use them in a 5.1 surround system and they perform flawlessly, even if they are not designed for this purpose. I am 16 years old, yes, 16. Alot of you hostile "audiophiles" out there will automatically think that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Well, guess what? I've heard everything from Bose to Mirage to Vienna in a home setting. I KNOW what good audio is, but I don't have enough money for more than products in the KLH neighborhood. For me, KLH is a low cost solution to the need for a good all- purpose system. I like 'em, so back off! Indeed, the 9912 is NOT the best speaker I've ever heard, but I was impressed with it right out of the box. Mommy and Daddy didn't buy these for me. The 9912's have good bass ( seeing as how this is what I'm supposed to love, being 16 and all),clear mid range response, and well defined, crisp highs, TO A POINT. I realize that playing them too loud will kill them, and the sound will suffer as well, but, Hell, it's fun! They sound good at moderate volumes, however. Don't be fooled by the price. These speakers are performers through and through. Just so my KLH buddies know, my system is as follows: A KLH 500 watt Dolby digital receiver, a pair of 9912's as my mains, a pair of KLH 8" L853's as my surrounds, a KLH 953pl for my center, and a KLH asw10-120 sub ( for that must- have bass!)For a 16 year old, I know this can't be too bad. The long and short of it is this. KLH is awesome for kids like me and for people on a tight budget who have money to spend on other, more important things. For you hardcore audio buffs out there who hate KLH for whatever reason, I have two questions: 1. Why write about all of your "superior" equipment and compare it to a low cost set of speakers? That's not fair at all. You have too much time on your hands. Get a life or a girlfriend or something to keep you busy. 2. If you can afford equipment that is so much better, then why in the Hell are you shopping around at Best Buy? Think about it. Get your head out of your a$$. Thank you to KLH for keeping us low- income folk happy!! Teenagers around the country thank you immensely. Thanks for reading ( unless I have offended you, in which case you can cry about it or go turn on your audiophile gear and feel alot better.)

Similar Products Used: JBL, Bose, Infinity, Vienna, Mirage, Polk, Cerwin Vega, Sony, Definitive Technologies, Acoustic Research, Sonus Faber,Klipsch, Kenwood, Yamaha, Pioneer, Boston Acoustics, and the list goes on. And YES
Ross Pomeroy   AudioPhile [Apr 19, 2003]
Strength:

Lots of sound for only running it at less than 50% power, great bass, surprisingly accurate, great bargain

None so far...

It all started when I saw the amazing deal in the Best Buy mini-mag in the paper, I had to see it for myself. So, I went to go demo these $100 floor-speakers and the sounded pretty inaccurate, but great for rock. So I purchased them a day later. When I finally hooked them up to my 100 watt amplifier I was blown away. The passed the "Rock Test" with their loud, booming base and then they totally surprised me when i played a piano track over singing. It was just like being in a concert hall in my own room! It was surround sound with only two channels! They almost sounded just as good as the Paradigns I had listened too a day earlier. They were great!

Oscar Green   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 17, 2003]
Strength:

Definitely the performance/cost ratio. Bass is good.

Pretty wide and low, would prefer a slimmer speaker.

Hearing these speakers at Best Buy really made me question the rumors about the badness of klh speakers. They are very loud, with good bass. You WILL NOT find anything comperable at this price range. I have a 650 watt receiver (100watts per channel)coupled with a 50 watt sony amplifier/subwoofer. These speakers are definitely being pushed to the limit. They are definitely worth the cost.

Similar Products Used: bose surround, rca rt2600, altec lansing 4100
eric_r293   Casual Listener [Apr 13, 2003]
Strength:

Alot of bass, good quality sound

Mid-range is a little quiet

Best dang speakers I've ever had, sound good on my Sony STR-485

Similar Products Used: Sony STR-485
Drew Boose   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 26, 2003]
Strength:

almost every thing, the sound, the power, the price, build quality..........

The woofer may rattle when played extreemly loud and on deep , deep, deep bass

The first thing I am going to tell you is I am a ver intelligent listener when it comes to sound quality, and let me tell you that these speakers have fofilled every hope and dream I may or even may not have had about them. Most people snub off KLH and their products, but as far as I am concerned this si one of the best speakers at best buy. JBL is over priced, Bose is Overrated, Cerwin-Vega's quality is falling, And the only thing close is the yamahas. But they stopped producing the model that I liked. I have the Sony model STR-DE185 stereo reciever. The bass is set to +4 and the treble +8(all go up to +10) along with the bass boost on. These speakers when used properly for the first 100 hrs. of playing will proide an excellent listening experience. The sound is almost perfect. I have had these thing all the way up and down and still nothing blown or rattling. I have no clue why the tweeters would blow on these, they are excellent. The woofer is very strong and provides a decent amount of thump. The only thing I modified was I added a piece of poly fill behind the woofer and it seemed to take the boominess out of the equation. I purchased the extra warranty thinking these would blow but havent yet.I even like these so much I am thinking of buying the 100watt 10" subwoofer to add even more excelent sound.