KLH 911B Floorstanding Speakers

911B

Satellite or small bookshelf speaker, 2 way, 1" tweeter, 5.25" woofer, rear port.

jazzfusiondude   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 29, 2009]

I purchased these to be used as temporary passive reference monitors for mixing at my home studio primarily because of the flat sound these produce; - that's what reference monitors are supposed to sound like. They obviously didn't sound nearly as clear or good as the Mackie or KRK's but actually served their purpose well.

David O'Banion   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 18, 2008]
Strength:

None.

See "summary".

KLH 911B's are HORRIBLE.
I purchased a pair of them at a local "thrift store", which is, of course, risky,
but sometimes one takes a chance when it presents itself.
I compared them to some similarly-sized speakers I have, and I found that I simply cannot tolerate the sound of the 911B's, which are the only speakers I have ever tried that can RUIN the sound of Enya's voice. I listened to "Na Laetha Gael M'oige" and "Evening Falls", and almost couldn't make myself play those same songs again on other speakers because I didn't want to suffer the same excruciating audio fiasco again.
When I had partially recovered from the effects of the 911B's, I switched back to my Minimus-7's, and I was much relieved to hear a good quality of sound.

The sound of the 911B's was so bad that I thoroughly checked each driver separately, and made certain that the drivers were connected correctly in the cabinets. Individually, the drivers were in perfect condition, and they had been connected properly. They seem defective only when used as KLH intended.

I believe that the best description of the problem is that the 911B's have a
"sucked-out" and distorted midrange [crossover distortion?], and a dull character in the treble.

I would recommend these speakers only for systems that are never connected, or at least never used.

Similar Products Used: REALISTIC Minimus-7
REALISTIC Minimus-77
JBL Control 1 Plus
nicechuck   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 19, 2004]
Strength:

good sound smooth, great price, removable grill, no bad sounds they seem very accurate

not alot of bass but with a sub they are great

the klh 911b is a great speaker. i've had paradigm atoms (somewhat better than the klh but more expensive too) but these are just great. i use them for front rear and i have a klh center channel too i also have an optimus 120 watt powered subwoofer which works great with the klh speakers

Similar Products Used: paradigm atoms
wualta   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 19, 2004]
Strength:

Best cheap mini bookshelf speaker. Shockingly good for the price.

Not much bass without boost

Note that the newest batch of 911Bs from Best Buy is sealed-box, not ported as before. This means less bass (unless you boost it), but tighter bass, and a bit more protection for the woofer (some of the ported ones decentered their woofer voice coils in their enthusiasm). The new design also allows you to hang them on a wall. With good room placement, a judicious amount of boost and at least 50w/ch, you'll be surprised at the quality of the bass you can coax out of what we might call the 911B Mk II. They'd probably sound even better if you popped the woofer and filled 'em with loose glass fiber. The cabinets are the same as before: thickwalled and sturdy, good for projects should you tire of the Quad ELS-like midrange. No, I'm kidding. But you'll like 'em for ten bucks apiece.

Similar Products Used: Sony SS-MB100H, Optimus LX 5
Ty M-H   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 28, 2003]
Strength:

PRICE...These are cheap and some VERY good for the price. The treble response is high

BASS...Get a sub and you'll be fine

This is a great product if you are using it as a rear speaker...I wouldn't suggest going out and buying 4 of them and using them as your speakers but as a rear speaker they sound excellent! The treble sounds pretty good...however the bass leaves quite a bit to be desired. If you have a Subwoofer it won't be bad. At 9.99 who can really complain.

VoicOfReason   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 13, 2003]
Strength:

Accurate, detailed, and FLAT sound. Outstanding as surround speakers. Cheap!! FOr music reproduction I think they beat the Klipsch Quintets.

Little bass. With a subwoofer, they sound perfect.

Wow! Along without another reviewer, I wouldn't normally recommend KLH speakers, but these are suprisingly good. I have been building up a home theatre system on a budget. Most reviewers don't give their full stereo setup, so let me give it to you: - Kenwood VR-7070 receiver (THX certified) - 2 Klipsch Quintet front speakers - Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer - Standard speaker wire - 4 KLH 911B speakers (used for center front channel, center back channel, and left and right rear surround channels) The previous reviewer is correct. They provide little, if any, bass output. Hook them up as channels for a home theatre setup with a subwoofer and they provide a rich, warm, detailed, but FLAT sound. I'm still deciding whether the 911B works well as a front center channel. When I first got them, I played Lord of the Rings at high volume and the center channel was very harsh. However, I spent 24 hours running music through them to break them in, and the harshness dissappeared. Another thing I noticed is that they play a few DB louder than my Klipsch Quintets, so after using a sound meter, I had to turn the center channel down -4 DB to match the others. Strangely, the surrounds didn't need adjustment. I also noticed that they compliment the Quintets in an interesting way. Many have said the Quintets aren't the best for serious music listening. However, in Circle Surround II mode on my Kenwood receiver, which makes use of all the speakers, I noticed a substantial improvement in music quality over the Klipsch. I'm not sure I would use them as front main speakers (L & R), but then again if you are really strapped for money, they wouldn't be bad. Speaker design is solid, soft grill can be removed. They go to VERY high volumes with no distortion (after being broken in). Where they especially shine is as surround rear speakers. They add incredible depth to the rest of a system. In fact, I would recommend them as surrounds for ANY system, no matter how expensive. That I got them for $9.99 at Best Buy is a bargain. One last thing: the most recent issue of Consumer Reports includes the 911B along with a bunch of other home theatre speakers. They listed them at $85 and I think they said they were "very good" for sound quality. I think it was also a top 17 list of HT speakers.

Similar Products Used: Radio Shack Optimus speakers, DBX indoor/outdoor speakers, Klipsch Quintets.
a4mula   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 22, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent clarity, some magnetic shielding, mostly value.

These speakers won't blow you away in the bass department, as a matter of fact there is absolutely no lowend sound from them, but that wasn't what they were designed for, get a subwoofer and let it do it's job!

I spent days listening to speakers that would satisfy my need for front surround speakers, amazingly enough the 911b's offered the greatest clarity of all the speakers I heard, including speakers that cost over 10x as much. While normally I would not recommend the KLH brand, these speakers are a standout. If you have a need for clear 5.1/6.1 front speakers or satelites, I can't think of a better choice.

Bonhoeffer   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 18, 2003]
Strength:

Very clear midlevel and high end frequencies. Very well constructed at only $20 a pair.

Thin bass response.

I went to Best Buy looking for a decent set of surround speakers. I was amazed at the clarity of the 911B speakers by KLH, though the bass is a bit thin, the midlevel and high end frequencies were quite clear and potent. Though they wouldn't serve well as main speakers, they do quite a good job in a rear channels surround application.

Similar Products Used: Advent Calypso, Yamaha NS333
Brad Lewis   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Good mids and highs. Price

none for this price range.

For the cheap price I was expecting a bad speaker. They turned out to be pretty good. I use them for surround sound and they work fine. They are great surrounds for the person on a budget.

mack b   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

-Solid build quality -Classy appearance -Great depth and clarity -Decent sensitivity -Value, value, value

-None. $10 for such a superb speaker is absolutely amazing. No complaints.

These speakers are a joy to own and listen to. I don't know how else to say it, these are simply great speakers. Without a doubt, they certainly represent one of the best bookshelf speaker values today. Although I don't fit the criteria of audiophile status, I am still extremely concerned with all things audio. I use these speakers along with a pair of KLH 970A's and a Creative subwoofer for my computer. Even with meager wattage, these speakers still create a rich detailed sound. I would still highly recommend these speakers at $50 each - I cannot fathom passing these up when they are a mere $10 each. For those more concerned with sound quality on a realistic budget, KLH represents an unparalleled value. Don't let the overly negative reviews fool you. No, they don't have a strong low-end, but then again, don't expect any speaker this size to really hammer out the sub-level bass. For the frequency range these speakers should be judged on, they're second to none. Plus, part of their charm comes from knowing how little you spent on such amazing speakers.