KLH 900B Floorstanding Speakers

bookshelf

USER REVIEWS

[May 27, 2019]
Music for my Sanity

Strength:

The bass response is really good. The internal cross-overs are pretty accurate for splitting the signal between the 3 drivers (bass, mid, high). I am more of a function over form person, but these look really good. These speakers require a little distance for their character to show. Then they sound very good, not great, but pretty impressive. I tried these out on 4 different stereos (Fisher 4060, Luxman R-113, Sansui Au-D7, and a Nikko NA -700ii. They sounded terrible on everything except the Nikko. But they really shine with that little guy!

The highs get pretty harsh. Cannot use as near-field monitors, really can't trust them for analytical listening.

[Jul 17, 2018]
Tsotigh

Strength:

These speakers have been wonderful as mains and rears for my current 5.1 setup. I purchased a quad of them for $100 off craigslist and have been searching for weaknesses in the two months I've had them. For stereo setups these speakers would be better suited with a subwoofer to really hit the low notes, but that isn't to say they lack punch. As far as using them in my surround setup, they've really brought to life both my movies and music, not nearly as limited by placement as my previous setups. Listening to Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Roseanna by Toto really illustrated the nuances these speakers can pickup. After listening to dialogue driven movies like 12 Angry Men and Dazed and Confused, as well as loudly quiet (?? haha) movies such as Interstellar and Gravity I've found that they never brought out the male voice as muddy or chesty as most speakers I've tried seem to, which, in my humble opinion, puts these speakers up there with some of the best 90s budget speakers. If you find a good pair for around $50 or lower you'd be hard pressed to find a much better speaker for the price. Heck, I'd even pay more for them just to ensure that I had them to listen to when I come home from work and want to listen to music or watch something.

I still really haven't found any. Maybe I'll revisit this review and update it in a year or so, but I highly doubt I'm going to stumble upon a test I haven't tried which will reveal results I haven't yet found. I really don't think you can go wrong with these speakers.

$100 for 4
Model Year:
1998
[Feb 21, 2018]
Army Doc

Strength:

I found these in a thrift shop last year for $39. They were in like-new condition except for smelling like cigarettes. I put them into a “vintage” setup all my with a Pioneer turntable and amplifier (not a receiver) from the same time period. I later came across a perfect Optimus subwoofer in a pawn shop to check complete the package. It is a phenomenal speaker. I sit and spin vinyl for hours on end, marveling at the sound.

I have not encountered any negatives about these speakers. I will pass them on to my children one day.

Model Year:
2016
[Apr 10, 2013]
Mike Martin
Audio Enthusiast

These are cheap speakers for low budget systems. I paid ten bucks for mine! They still sound great 14 years later! I use them for rears. Cabnets are to light as they tend to move around on my wood floors when cranked! All materials used in construction are still like new. No signs of deteriation. ~Bajas Playtape Page~

[Sep 23, 2002]
Thomas Mansfield
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clean highs,crisp over-all sound quality,fairly efficient.

none really at this price.

I wanted a set of rear channel speakers for surround sound.I listened to these and compared them side by side with a pair of Cerwin-vegas 8 inch two-way,no comparison,the Cerwin-vegas sounded like they had a blanket thrown over them when compared to the KLH'S.You could spend double or triple the money and still not do any better then the sound of these speakers.Very clean highs,good mid-range, clean non-boomy bass.If you can find a pair,buy them,you will like what you hear.Tom.

Cerwin-Vega,Bose, small Klipsch.

[Feb 03, 2002]
milaz001
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good imaging, punchy and bright highs, acceptable mids (hard to find in a bookshelf unit) and rich, flat bass (also a rarity in smaller speakers)

Can be somewhat harsh when pushed

When I put together the speaker package for my home theater system, I focused my effort (and money) on the center-channel speaker. That was the right decision, and my JBL HLS center sounds wonderful 3 years on. To complete the front-sub-rear circuit, I chose KLH. In terms of price/performance ratio, KLH is still leagues ahead of its competition. The 900B is a terrific 3-way bookshelf speaker, with very punchy, very up-front highs, satisfactory mids and some of the flattest, warmest lows I''ve heard from a bookshelf speaker. Two years into their tour of duty in my system, a friend stopped by and was blown away by their tone. He wanted some of his own--no luck, couldn''t find a pair. So, he purchased a set of Bose 201 Series IV bookshelf speakers. I thought they sounded decent as stereo speakers in his home, so I borrowed them for a test run against the 900Bs. Well, I was surprised that the KLHs offered much more precise stereo imaging with far crisper highs and more solid bass. I don''t care for Bose''s Direct Reflection technology, and, of course, they are exquisitely dependent upon their position in the room. Verdict: 900B superior to 201, in my ears anyway. Bottom line: This whole business of ''reviewing'' speakers is something of a joke, isn''t it. You ''review'' speakers with your ears, bottom line. Don''t let a particular brand name (or lack thereof) intimidate you. Don''t let a salesperson intimidate you into purchasing more than you need (or less, for more money!). The best advice I can give is purchase your speakers in a store that allows for returns, because the showroom, in all of its acoustically-pristine splendor, is NOT your living room, den or bedroom. I find the KLH 900B to be a wonderful, musical bookshelf speaker, perfect as fronts in a surround circuit and more than acceptable in 2-speaker stereo (even without a subwoofer). Let your ears decide, but don''t shy away from KLH simply because they''re less expensive or have less brand recognition. They''ve been around a LONG time (although the company has changed hands since its early days in Cambridge) and they still make a quality speaker. Enjoy...

Bose 201 Series IV

[Dec 07, 1999]
LeRoy
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Full range capability + impressive bass

None to find - still looking

Like the others below, I too have had the speaker for about three year and they are still kicking ass.

When I bought the speakers three years ago, it was kind of funny to buy because I was use to floor loud speaker and I had no I deal how to place bookshelf speaker. When I took them home I only wanted to use them as rear, but I found out the speakers were better than my older speakers and I began using them as fronts.

That year I was in my junior year of collegue and all my buddies were impressed with the speaker. They all thought the were high end speakers. I just replied to each that they were only "KLH".

The speakers still kick ass.

Unfortunately, this product is no longer sold. If you know were I can buy a pair give me a email

RadioShack - replace ments

[Mar 29, 2000]
Chris
Audiophile

Strength:

Impressive bass response beyond what KLH lists, clear high end notes, price is wonderful

Tend to rattle at higher volumes, bass gets muddy due to response to lower frequencies than designed for

These are absolutely great bookshelf speakers, and for the money I haven't seen anything that can touch them. I use a fairly strong power amp to power them and they respond nicely. They tend to rattle and get muddy at higher power( >70watts)
I solved this problem by stuffing the cabinet full of padding, this makes the high end even better, and makes the bass notes clearer and harder hitting. They don't resonate nearly as much now
I recommend them to anyone with space limitations or a very restrictive budget. They perform extraordinarily well for both size and price.

[Mar 16, 2000]
Patrick
Casual Listener

Strength:

The price no doubt. Clear, well represented sound.

None so far, other than not being a very high end model. or a sexy woman model for that matter. Might need sub unless reciever can allocate more bass.

Roomates blew my Aiwa mini-system speakers during a party, so it was time for replacements. Being a poor college student, did my research and found these to be the best performance for price. All of the favorable ratings below are completely founded and true. Made my mini-system sound like a million bucks, especially during movies in pro-logic mode. Listening to certain dub recordings of the early 80's i can notice the slight distortions left in. Wonderful deal.

[Feb 14, 2000]
Gary Kellerman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent sound quality for the money. Can be used above ear level with good stereo imaging. Works well with the standard center channel woofer-tweeter-woofer set-up. Capable of outstanding bass with a receiver that has a loudness countour switch or a bass boost(like the more expensive Yamahas have) eliminating the need to use a subwoofer.

I really would not call it a "weakness" but these speakers derive their sound from there semi-asymetrical design. It would have been better if the tweeter was aligned 1/2 the radius above the woofer rather than aligned with the edge of the woofer. Note the alignment of the midrange with the woofer(the center of the voice coil of the midrange and its alignment with the woofer. For some reason, many of these three way types are showing up this "new way".

Bought them at Best Buys on a sale. I forget what I paid for the pair but it was somewhere between 60 to 80 dollars. I audtioned similar designed speakers from Yamaha and RadioSchack but they could not match the sound of the 900Bs.
A really nice speaker that appears to handle quite a bit of power. Good for home theater or stereo; nice sound to music with nice bass results. Clean high and midrange sound. Basically the others that posted before me summarized my feeling about these speakers.

Similar Products Used:

canton, home made project redesigning a pair of Marantz 6gs from the 70s to mimmick the 900 design