KLH 900B Floorstanding Speakers

900B

bookshelf

Mike Martin   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 10, 2013]

These are cheap speakers for low budget systems. I paid ten bucks for mine! They still sound great 14 years later! I use them for rears. Cabnets are to light as they tend to move around on my wood floors when cranked! All materials used in construction are still like new. No signs of deteriation. ~Bajas Playtape Page~

Thomas Mansfield   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 23, 2002]
Strength:

Clean highs,crisp over-all sound quality,fairly efficient.

none really at this price.

I wanted a set of rear channel speakers for surround sound.I listened to these and compared them side by side with a pair of Cerwin-vegas 8 inch two-way,no comparison,the Cerwin-vegas sounded like they had a blanket thrown over them when compared to the KLH'S.You could spend double or triple the money and still not do any better then the sound of these speakers.Very clean highs,good mid-range, clean non-boomy bass.If you can find a pair,buy them,you will like what you hear.Tom.

Similar Products Used: Cerwin-Vega,Bose, small Klipsch.
milaz001   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 03, 2002]
Strength:

Good imaging, punchy and bright highs, acceptable mids (hard to find in a bookshelf unit) and rich, flat bass (also a rarity in smaller speakers)

Can be somewhat harsh when pushed

When I put together the speaker package for my home theater system, I focused my effort (and money) on the center-channel speaker. That was the right decision, and my JBL HLS center sounds wonderful 3 years on. To complete the front-sub-rear circuit, I chose KLH. In terms of price/performance ratio, KLH is still leagues ahead of its competition. The 900B is a terrific 3-way bookshelf speaker, with very punchy, very up-front highs, satisfactory mids and some of the flattest, warmest lows I''ve heard from a bookshelf speaker. Two years into their tour of duty in my system, a friend stopped by and was blown away by their tone. He wanted some of his own--no luck, couldn''t find a pair. So, he purchased a set of Bose 201 Series IV bookshelf speakers. I thought they sounded decent as stereo speakers in his home, so I borrowed them for a test run against the 900Bs. Well, I was surprised that the KLHs offered much more precise stereo imaging with far crisper highs and more solid bass. I don''t care for Bose''s Direct Reflection technology, and, of course, they are exquisitely dependent upon their position in the room. Verdict: 900B superior to 201, in my ears anyway. Bottom line: This whole business of ''reviewing'' speakers is something of a joke, isn''t it. You ''review'' speakers with your ears, bottom line. Don''t let a particular brand name (or lack thereof) intimidate you. Don''t let a salesperson intimidate you into purchasing more than you need (or less, for more money!). The best advice I can give is purchase your speakers in a store that allows for returns, because the showroom, in all of its acoustically-pristine splendor, is NOT your living room, den or bedroom. I find the KLH 900B to be a wonderful, musical bookshelf speaker, perfect as fronts in a surround circuit and more than acceptable in 2-speaker stereo (even without a subwoofer). Let your ears decide, but don''t shy away from KLH simply because they''re less expensive or have less brand recognition. They''ve been around a LONG time (although the company has changed hands since its early days in Cambridge) and they still make a quality speaker. Enjoy...

Similar Products Used: Bose 201 Series IV
LeRoy   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 07, 1999]
Strength:

Full range capability + impressive bass

None to find - still looking

Like the others below, I too have had the speaker for about three year and they are still kicking ass.

When I bought the speakers three years ago, it was kind of funny to buy because I was use to floor loud speaker and I had no I deal how to place bookshelf speaker. When I took them home I only wanted to use them as rear, but I found out the speakers were better than my older speakers and I began using them as fronts.

That year I was in my junior year of collegue and all my buddies were impressed with the speaker. They all thought the were high end speakers. I just replied to each that they were only "KLH".

The speakers still kick ass.

Unfortunately, this product is no longer sold. If you know were I can buy a pair give me a email

Similar Products Used: RadioShack - replace ments
Chris   Audiophile [Mar 29, 2000]
Strength:

Impressive bass response beyond what KLH lists, clear high end notes, price is wonderful

Tend to rattle at higher volumes, bass gets muddy due to response to lower frequencies than designed for

These are absolutely great bookshelf speakers, and for the money I haven't seen anything that can touch them. I use a fairly strong power amp to power them and they respond nicely. They tend to rattle and get muddy at higher power( >70watts)
I solved this problem by stuffing the cabinet full of padding, this makes the high end even better, and makes the bass notes clearer and harder hitting. They don't resonate nearly as much now
I recommend them to anyone with space limitations or a very restrictive budget. They perform extraordinarily well for both size and price.

Patrick   Casual Listener [Mar 16, 2000]
Strength:

The price no doubt. Clear, well represented sound.

None so far, other than not being a very high end model. or a sexy woman model for that matter. Might need sub unless reciever can allocate more bass.

Roomates blew my Aiwa mini-system speakers during a party, so it was time for replacements. Being a poor college student, did my research and found these to be the best performance for price. All of the favorable ratings below are completely founded and true. Made my mini-system sound like a million bucks, especially during movies in pro-logic mode. Listening to certain dub recordings of the early 80's i can notice the slight distortions left in. Wonderful deal.

Gary Kellerman   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 14, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent sound quality for the money. Can be used above ear level with good stereo imaging. Works well with the standard center channel woofer-tweeter-woofer set-up. Capable of outstanding bass with a receiver that has a loudness countour switch or a bass boost(like the more expensive Yamahas have) eliminating the need to use a subwoofer.

I really would not call it a "weakness" but these speakers derive their sound from there semi-asymetrical design. It would have been better if the tweeter was aligned 1/2 the radius above the woofer rather than aligned with the edge of the woofer. Note the alignment of the midrange with the woofer(the center of the voice coil of the midrange and its alignment with the woofer. For some reason, many of these three way types are showing up this "new way".

Bought them at Best Buys on a sale. I forget what I paid for the pair but it was somewhere between 60 to 80 dollars. I audtioned similar designed speakers from Yamaha and RadioSchack but they could not match the sound of the 900Bs.
A really nice speaker that appears to handle quite a bit of power. Good for home theater or stereo; nice sound to music with nice bass results. Clean high and midrange sound. Basically the others that posted before me summarized my feeling about these speakers.

Similar Products Used: canton, home made project redesigning a pair of Marantz 6gs from the 70s to mimmick the 900 design
Michael   Audiophile [Feb 14, 2000]
Strength:

These speakers will kick, i got them for around 50 a piece, they are a sweet deal, i compared some cerwin vegas (which are one of the top brands, if not the top brand in home speakers)...well i put them up against some of the cerwin vegas and they can hold their own, and are a great deal, they produce a high note, and can hit it with a little bass too

there are hardly any, but possibly the 8 sub on it pops a little when you turn it up, but these are bookshelf speakers so your not even supposed to hardly feel bass so it is still great

They kick ACE

Gary   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 03, 1999]
Strength:

Great value.

None.

I've had these speakers for about 3 years and they still sound great. They were only $80 for the pair. If you are looking for low cost, great sounding bookshelf speakers go with these.

AudioGuy   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 30, 2001]
Strength:

Inexpensive, decent bass for the size, works.

Typical modern, cheap speakers. Low sensitivity, not great
sound.

A good buy if you want something that plays sound
and sounds OK (more or less), but if you really want
to hear music, your $100 might be better spent
on buying real speakers such as older EPIs or Vintage
Advents on Ebay, for about the same price (and
comparable to real quality speakers today that would
set you back $400 to $600).
I also own a larger pair of KLHs, and they
don't play much better than the 910s. They're all just
typical, modern speakers with cheap drivers in
undersized cabinets (or, more accurately, oversized
drivers for the cabinet). When compared to a real speaker
such as my EPI 100s, I can't believe the difference.
Somehow, the cheap drivers and cabinets of the KLHs
are missing half the music. The EPIs also play about 10
to 15 dB louder too for the same amp settings
(must be the drivers/magnets).