KEF R700 Floorstanding Speakers

• Two 6.5” LF drivers

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 03, 2020]
Einarbb

Strength:

I bought the Kef R700 with a 50 percent rebate as this was the outgoing model which is now replaced by the R5. This was my first step for renewing my surround setup which at the time consisted if Q5 front speakers, Q9C center, Iq3 surrounds and a Dali sub and a Yamaha RX-A2010. The old setup did'nt sound bad, but when replacing the Q5, I was astonished with the clarity of the sound and the firm and punching bass. The sound is reproduced extremely well in all frequencies, and the quality of the base was so good that I experimented with turning off my sub to check if it was really necessary anymore. The old Q5 speakers were finally re-used as surround, and this improved the base utterly. However, the snow ball had started rolling, and I started wondering what a center speaker in the R-series would do to the sound. I ended up wit the R2C, the center speaker in the next generation R-series. Again, a great improvement, and now I was thinking of Atmos. That meant replacing the Yamaha with a RX-A3070. Again, a great improvement in sound, and now I ordered the R8A Atmos speakers for placemen on top of the R700. While waiting for delivery of these speakers I came over a used KefR400b sub, bought this and sold my Dali. Now I understood that I still needed a sub as rhe R400b goes deeper, has better punch and really improves the bass. The R8a finally came, and now my system is complete - for now, anyway. The soud is great, both in stereo and surround with Atmos/front present. The R700 started it all, and the quality of these speakers led to a total upgrade - expensive, but worth it. The finish in piano lacker, all black, is first class and fortunately are the same as the new R-series. If you get a chance to get these speakers, ask for a demonstration, I really think they are among the best speakers on the market at their price point, and with my rebate they were a bargain However, they need a good amplifier or receiver. They are easy to place as the uni-q tweeters spread the high frequencies so that you are not dependent on sitting in the sweet spot. Highly recommended!

I can really not find any weaknesses on these speakers.

Price Paid:
OVERALL
[Jan 10, 2012]
Patrick
AudioPhile

The overall quality standard of both the manufacturing as well as the audio of the R series is commendable. The KEF engineers really deserve an applaud. I replaced iq 70 and Iq 60c with R700 and R200C and it is connected to my Onkyo TX NR 5008. The sound quality of my listening room enhanced tremendously. In fact I have decided to change my surrounds also to R 800 DS and I am still going to have two Q 400b's as my subs. Can anyone comment on having the Q series subs with the R series range.

OVERALL