KEF Q65 Floorstanding Speakers

Q65

Reflex 6x9 in woofer, 6.5 in mid, 0.75 in tweeter

audiogod   AudioPhile [Feb 20, 2003]
Strength:

Most accurate soundstage, smooth bass, large dynamics, and best bang for the buck.

none yet.

Once I heard these speakers for the first time, I fell in love with them. They have this very smooth midrange, and the imaging of them is pinpoint accurate. I upgraded the internal wiring woth Nordost cinemaflex 14/4 wire with silver solder to the crossovers. I found that it made everything sound even smoother, and I got more bass extension from the speaker. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who owns these speakers. I also use the same wire on the outside of the cabinets in biwire form.

Similar Products Used: Marantz SR6200,Nelson Pass class a 20w 5 monoblock amp. Kef Q15.2,Q95.2c,Energy EXL-S12 sub. All Nordost interconnects,speaker wire,and ac cables.
biggarthomas   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 04, 2002]
Strength:

Good bass despite what others say. Vocals just transport me. Listen to Handel and to well recorded Bach Cantatas through these speakers or listen to the Moody Blues wow!! Would not exchange them for anything They also look really good and are obviously well made

If you want thunderous bass these may not be the speakers for you.

During my two years of research for new speakers I read so many horror stories written by disappointed users that I just got more & more wary about the promises of loudspeaker makers. That is, until I heard the KEF Q65.2. It was love at first audition. However. the speakers that I listened to had been broken in. When I bought mine, my partner was hard pressed to detect the difference between these speakers and our old low-end PSB bookshelves that we'd had for about 13 years. Not any more though. I've had these speakers for two months and they sound better with evry passing day. I probably will not by another set of speakers for my stereo system. I use Energy speakers for my surround sound attached to my Tv but for me nothing can beat stereo when litening to classical, jazz & blues. It's true what they say about tese speakers. There are whole instruments that I hear with them that I were previously gobbled whole by the PSBs. I also bi-amped the KEFs to two Quad 303's and I'm using Kimber Kable 8PR. If you like the "British Sound" buy these speakers. These speakers also have fabulous bass which is a series of "notes" not just a loud rummble.

Peter Saunders   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 01, 2002]
Strength:

Avery thing price, sound, reproduction,

Low end falls away quite quick at low volumes

I bought the K65s to replace my old MS10s. Obviously they are different speakers, size dynamics, cost. But I was ready for something with a bit more bite. I auditioned seven pairs of various makes in the £ 600-800 range $ 640-960. Most sounded OK until we tried them bi-amp and bi-wired, for any enthusiasts out there this is the only way to fly and they flew. The low end was more defined and pronounced. The hi end was crisp and sweet, and the mid sat square in the middle. I could not believe the difference. From then on no other floor standing speaker in its price range and even a fare bit higher. Sold I bought these babies home plugged them in and was sorely disappointed what was wrong why did they sound so bad at home .Ahhhh the running in the bi-amping so I also purchased two Rotel Amps. After about four months they started to sing sweet and low. Since then I’ve heard some good Hi-fi,s but as yet I still haven’t found the edge you have with the K65s. I would not change them for world or a set of £ 2000 floor standers. System Pre-amp Rotel Stereo Control amplifier RC 971 Amp,s 2 x Rotel RB 971 Mk II CD Parasound C/d 1000 DVD Daywoo DVG 6000D

kristine harstad   AudioPhile [Apr 27, 2002]
Strength:

none mabe a litle clear

everything

pesce off junck were is the bassssssssssss? im selling this junk cant use it in a home theatre!!!!!!! no sub can fix it crapiest speakers ever

Similar Products Used: none
RoddNET   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 14, 2002]
Strength:

image, clarity, price.

placement... they are suited for large rooms.

WOW!! again WOW!! I never knew I was missing so much of the music I was listening to. The Q65.2 speakers bring so much clarity and definition to the music. It is true that they need time to break in. Mine are just about there now. They just keep getting better and better the more they are used. I have them working with a Q95.c and Q85''s for a home theatre setup. I have had only one minor problem with them and the online store took care of it immediately. I felt like there was a vibration noise coming fromthe tweeter assembly and they replaced it within 48hrs. the yfelt it was probably caused during the shipping. Again, they sound magnificent. I will have them for a long time to come.

Similar Products Used: none. This is a whole new level of equipment for me.
Boogie V   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity and precision

I have to say that i have not enjoyed listening to a speaker as much as i have with the Q 65's. I auditioned BMW's, Sound System, Jamo, JM Lab's among others but none compared to the authentic feel of these. The bass lacks a little, but it is a small price to pay for the overall package you are receiving. Highly recomended!!

Boogie V   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 07, 2001]

...correction to previous comment: B&W's...sorry about that!

Howard   an Audio Enthusiast [May 04, 1998]

I just bought a pair of Q65's.I auditioned energy C6's twice.Then I listenedto Kef reference 1's(superior)I then listened to Q65's and R1's together.Very
close in sound quality.These are great speakers!

Orlando Muñoz   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 13, 2001]
Strength:

All-arround sound quality, construction, bass response and wide dispersion

Grille: it is not as sound-transparent as it should, and to obtain the best of the speakers you must remove it (it hinders both the definition and the dispersion)

These are the best speakers you can buy at this price range, for any kind of music. I use them with classical, pop/rock, and metal (Black Metal) and they perform flawlessly.

The detail, definition and wide dispersion of these speakers enables you to listen to every detail existent on the most well recorded CD. On the other hand, its powerfull and controlled bass response is essential to handle the brutal and complex sounds of Black Metal.

I'm now starting my 5.1 surround system, and the bass of these speakers is so good that in the U-571 depth charge explosions, it sounded like I had a subwoofer!

Note to all Q65 users: these speakers have a looong break in period. My speakers only gave their full bass response after a year and a half of daily use.

Also, remember to use good fat bi-wiring cable and gold plated bananas to conect these speakers. I use 6AWG (5mm) bi-wiring OFC cable: at full power these speakers require more than 5 Amps of current (at 6 Ohm).

System:
Yamaha AX592 Amp
Denon 735 CD player
Panasonic RA61 DVD player
Yamaha KX-580SE deck

Mike   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 18, 2001]
Strength:

Clarity, image, breath

long break-in

These speakers sound great.. after about a month of break in that is. The sound really liven's up when bi-wired and broken in. Almost twice as good a when I first got them. No kidding.

I am now using these speakers as my fronts and plan on getting another pair for my rear surrounds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good center? The Q95.2 seems small to me.....