KEF Q5 Floorstanding Speakers

Q5

. The response of the midrange/HF array is fluid and accurate, and the 165mm (6 1/2") bass driver has its own tuned enclosure and reflex port for more dynamic power handling. Wherever you sit, the configuration adds depth and texture to the stereo image. The high order crossovers are computer optimised, and terminals are twinned for bi-wiring or bi-amplification.

pootle   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 18, 2010]

These are by far the best speakers I've ever had - not that I've had many, only recently having bitten by the hi-fi bug. I bought them sight unseen and unauditioned on ePay, partly on the strength of the reviews here and partly by accident, having been caught up, as usual, in the excitement of bidding. I ended up paying US$350 which, when you add in $60 for shipping and another $40-ish for taxes and duties at the border, comes to about $450 Canadian. Still less than half the original MSP. Anyway, I have them pseudo bi-amped to a Yamaha RX-V1500 that sounded so gratingly bright with a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3SEs that I was quite concerned about some remarks in this forum about the Kef's allegedly forward and bright sound. However, I've been nothing but delighted with them in the few days that I've owned them. I'm listening to someone's trumpet concerto (could be Mozart? How embarrassing...) and I can all but see the trumpet and its brass bell just in front of me. It just pops into the foreground from purest empty space. The sound is beautifully pure with wonderful imaging and separation, as many reviewers have already said. There really is no reason to complain about the Kef's bass, either, despite what a few other reviewers have said. It is more subtly presented than might be the case with some other speakers, but I've turned the crossover on my huge old Energy AS-180 sub down to 60hz just to let the Kef's do their musical thing with the mid and upper bass.

Having listened a little more, I suppose it might be possible to call the Kefs very lslightly clinical in the treble, but that might be Yammie's fault. In the same vein, the mids might do with a tiny bit of warming up, but I'm not going to risk messing with the sound by using an equaliser. They seem very easy to drive, although my only basis for comparison is an elderly pair of Paradigm Export Monitors

I haven't really listened to any rock yet, but they sound very good with Diana Krall and Sarah McClachlan. I'm not a huge Krall fan - or a jazz fan, for that matter - but these things might change my mind. I wonder what Chick Corea will sound like?

All in all, a fabulous pair of speakers and an real bargain at used prices.

Entsmonkey   AudioPhile [May 29, 2009]

These speakers make music sound ethereal! Such depth and dynamics bring life to the music (even using modest components). The only draw back is the lack of bass weight, if you want a massive boom boom sound these speakers aren't for you. I like listening to Hip-Hop and chilled dance music and they are fine for me. Even if there isn't a massive amount of bass there what is there is ver very controled and very deep, take a listen to "god bless the dead" by Tupac and the bass is immense, tight, controlled and seismic without being overwhealming. The only downside is a little lack of punch in commercial rock music which is mastered with a low limit of about 75Hz, but, it needs to be emphasised to drive the music along. Classical and Jazz music (i.e. music with dynamics) are fantastic, the ceiling for the dynamic is so high - it just keeps going in terms peaks in the music - whilst maintaning the black of the quiet. Just close your eyes and take a listen.

****Advice = keep the fronts on if there are children about, I've lost mine for 2 months now due to 4 year old! been reduced to using Q1's (good speakers just not enough volume of air ;-D)

Xris Osborne   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Possibly the best in its price range for mid range natural sound and the stereo sparkles with clartiy and vibrance.

None this speaker clearly speaks for itself.

KEF Q5s Something to talk about. I've just purchased the Q5s and cannot believe the amount of Dynamic range and stereo character balance these speaker are archieving. i just played Toni Braxton "There's no me" and i only use a cyrus system configuration and a Rel Strata for my sub. The individual cords of every guiter can be heard along with the beautiful smooth bass filling lasting but tight and predictable. These speakers have been a joy to listen too. My last speakers Tannoy dual concentric were not capable of handling so much detail and control at my amp's lowest volume setting but cost so much more. If you only go for class you cannot be disappointed, if you only go for sound you will be over the moon twice as the sound has to be heard rather than talked about
Fantastic lets Congratulate KEF for bringing a wonderful natural sounding speaker to us at a price we can afford.THX....

Similar Products Used: TDL floorstanding speakers discountinued
jack jackson   AudioPhile [Jun 01, 2006]
Strength:

HT mode, stereo mode, tweeter/midrange configuration

non after fixing problems at set up.

Very good speaker INHO, I`ve been having this product for good 4 months and I`m so happy with quality of sound, wide clean tweeter/midrange, something worth high-end audio accolades, and as for bass many complain about, OK, I had same problem when i ran auto calibration and EQ from my pioneer elite 72txv( quality!!).
When ever i would listen in stereo mode i had weak bass, but after digging in receiver set up menu, first i found speaker distance measures were somewhat wrong, so i incrrease that one giving me louder output and than adjusting low frequncies in manual EQ set up, after that bass was present and now I`m enjoying every bit of music in steeo mode, no need for sub. I`m mostly listening dance where there is a lot of bass and kick drum present. Now bass articulate, fast and loudm, of course no low freq and extensions but giving the size adn configuration of the speaker, I`m all smiles.....

also paying 800$ with shipping and warranty Q5 pair,Q6c center and Q compact for surround over ebay.com its a deal of the decade!!!

Similar Products Used: none to compare, bougth this thanks to KEF name reputation.
jsoosai   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 27, 2005]
Strength:

Natural sound. Good mid range. Good looks.

No bottom end bass. Even NAD C352 couldn't get the bass out of these speakers.

After I auditioned it in a demo room, I was tremedously impressed with this speaker. I tried only "Eagles - Hell Freezes over". It was like hearing an archestra live. However when I took one to home and tried various recording I got mixed results. Deep bass is one thing missing in these speakers inspite of having additional bass driver(6.5" ofcource) and being a tower. NAD C352's bass capability is not realised with these speakers. Feel like I need a subwoofer. Thin recordings sound really thin (this may not be a deficiency if a true speaker is supposed to reproduce it faithfully). Vocals are clear and strings are pleasing to hear. Overall a nice, natural sounding speaker. Looks good (dark apple) in my living room. Using with NAD C352 and Denon DVD 1910.

tassos166   AudioPhile [Oct 02, 2004]
Strength:

*The best upper end (treble/midrage) blend of musicality that you are likely to hear even for twice the price. *Not extremelly demanding positioning required *Extremely enjoyable and entertaining *Very forgiving.They cover limitations of cheap partering electronics,but become restained and flat when partenered with those *Beautiful looks(you don't want ugly boxes in your living room-dark apple finish recommended-classy!) *Bargain!!!!!!!!!!

*Do not use with electronics(amp/cd/tuner) at less than $1000 each.Buy mission instead... *Demand neutral amplification and cables.The more you invest in cables the more they deliver. *Not the accuracy and the bass definition of a ProAc,ATC or similar $3000+ speakers *Could do with pretier speaker spikes(like the Q4) *A bit lightweight(14kg each) *Could be 5-6 cm taller *When partenered with expensive partners seem that they lack the supertweeter or the Reference range but for the price you're asking a lot...

In absolute terms this is a far from perfect speaker.It doesn't have the surgical accuracy and imaging of others and the bass is not very 'punchy'.It also feels lightweight and finishing details(cheap speaker spikes) are not adequate.So why I chose this speakers for the main ones in my hi-fi set-up.Simply because these are to me the hi-fi bargain of the decade.After auditioning several others for much more money,I had no trouble in my final desicion.The midrage is one of the best ones I heard at any price.The new uni-q driver works wonders.With well recorded pieces you have the impression that the sounds come from all over and even from behind you,because of the wide dispersion of the treble (sacrifices accuracy over musicality but I bought them to listem music not to do hi-end exercises i.e not for the geek who spins test records all the time).Listen radio programmes with these speakers.A fantastic experience!You feel you are inside the studio!The uni-q driver and the bass driver blend seamlessly and the impression is that you are listening to standmound speakers from that point of view.The bass drivers are made from paper and thus demonstate a 'relaxed' character which helps the intergration. These speakers however are difficult to be appreciated by anyone.First from my experience of using them they demand biwiring and neutral speaker cables and amplification.Otherwise forget it! Althought entertaining when auditioned with a $400 intergrated maplifier and $3 per meter speaker cables they can sound bright and 'tiring' and imaging suffers.I use the Audio Magic Sorcerer biwire speaker cable at $2200 (seems like an overkill) but one week ago when I auditioned a pair of Lumley Lambros speakers($8,000+) driven by a moster Jadis amplifier a smile came to my face.My set up had nothing to be jealous of apart from a weaker bass definition.They are tricky speakers with high demand but they can really deliver music.Could they be better.Yes,and for that try the Kef reference range if you have the money.Personally I refuse to pay an extra $3000 for just a supertweeter and better constuction... As a bonus they look beutiful.If they were only a little taller...

Similar Products Used: Mission 701 Monitor audio S6(awaaaaaaay!!!) (they were a present...)
oli strong   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 15, 2003]
Strength:

none

none

I have just bought the q 5´s and am impressed by the powerful bass and the diversity of the highs and mids. The music is very transparent, you can "touch" the instruments and the voice. They sound clear and warm at the same time. Last but not least they´re so beautiful...

Jonathan Comeau   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 22, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing sound definition & imaging, tight bass, styling

None

I just bougth this pair of speakers with a Marantz AV 7300 receiver bi-wired them with extra huge monster cables and WOW! this setup sounds amazing. From trip-hop bands like Massive Attack and Portishead to new-jazz like Amon Tobin, Herbalizer and Cinematic Orchestra, to rock like Tool & The Red Hot Chili Peppers everything sounds amazing. You're able to get amazing bass without ever reducing the clarity and definition of highs and mids even at low volume. This speakers gives you the real music experience. After many listening sessions, these speakers are definitely a notch above anything else in that price range. They also look very good.(They look more expensive than their price tag)

Similar Products Used: Mission 704(3 way) & m74(2 way), Boston Acoustic, PSB
michael dobey   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

clarity, soundstaging, imaging, uni-q design,

none for its price range

The q5 is a modern classic. In fact just like the past q series (1996-2002) this series and the q5 will be valued even after its retired. the q5 features excellent imaging, tight bass , 39-22khz frequency range. soundstaging and clarity are so good people will think the speaker cost 1200 a piece. I believe its the best in its PRICE range and I listened to many brands before I bought it.

Similar Products Used: q9c center, q1s rear surrounds, klipsch sc-1 rear center, (to be replaced with a q9c eventually), earthquake m4 dual 10 inch sub.
Arian   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 17, 2003]
Strength:

- Their sound is spacious and with detail. - they look far more expensive than they are - Good building quality

Front cover sheet is sensitive, be carefull with playing kids... *s* No other disturbing matters whatsoever

After a Loooong listening session with several other speakers I first didn't noticed these speakers, but after a while I saw myself pushing the button to activate the KEF's Q5 repeatingly and I knew these where the one's for me. A week later I received them at home and was shocked about the strong low frequency that the Kef's Q5's produced. I took the plastic sound absorbers and put them into the bassreflex openings. the lower frewquency's where better controlled and they sounded much better. I put them a foot away from the wall and three feet from the nearest corner of the living room. These speakers are more than great, they sounded even better than some speakers twice their price and I won't mention their names that would be embarassing. Wether you will use them as Surround or as Stereo it doesnt matter they do a outstanding job. I highly recommend them to any serious listener with a moderate and not to large living room !!

Similar Products Used: Translator Impact two with Vifa speakers. They sounded also real good, a clean tight bass but not so much detail as the Kef's Q5, but hey.. these speakers served my ears for almost twenty years witho