KEF 103.2 Floorstanding Speakers

Kef 103.2 Reference speaker

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 10, 2018]
RobChamp

Strength:

These vintage British beauties need to be driven by a powerful amp, 100 to 150 watts, and well setup with the tweeters at ear height and toed in toward the listening position. Also need excellent speaker wires 12-14 gauge. And of course great audio source--either a well set up turntable with MC cartridge or good digital with FLAC files and external DAC. Do all this and you will be rewarded with amazing audiophile sound experience!!!

The only thing I would suggest is upgrading the binding post. I plan to install Cardas CCGR-L Binding Posts.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1980
[Aug 22, 2018]
Samcp

Strength:

Good Base load, Great sounding small pair of speakers. Used as home theatre speakers for years but then also used as Hifi speakers good for both.

None that I know of

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1985
[Dec 06, 2016]
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

I recently purchased a fine pair of 103.2 speakers for $375 Cdn. I did so having read the reviews here on audioreview.com and the awesome technical review at http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kef-model-103-2-327.html The soundstage and detail is fantastic. You can also crank them up and they sound great. The S-Stop protection system means the drivers have been protected from abuse. A great feature when you are buying 30+ year old speakers!

A co-work saw a pair at a high-end audio store in downtown Toronto for $700, so I think I got a good deal!

I run a Carver MRX130 receiver (TFM25 130 watt amp, C-1 pre-amp) and a Sanusi SR222 turntable.

[Aug 18, 2016]
Wolf Star
AudioPhile

I bought my set of 103.2's back in 86 at a high end audiophile store in Cambridge Mass. When the guy played music with 4 cellos, 4 violas, 4 violins and 4 vocalists the sounds stage and clarity blew me away, I could pick out each instrument and person in the stereo image. He compared them to five other brands of well respected $1000 to $2000 range speakers (in 1986 dollars) and there was no comparison, the rest did not have the imaging or clarity (ultra low distortion). After my divorce ten years ago I just got them back from my X, set them up on my Yamaha receiver with 12" velodyne sub and WOW, they still rock, blow my NHT's away (and I really like the inexpensive NHT Super Ones a lot)... What can I say but matching drivers and making very rigid cabinets and matching complete speakers at the factory creates a stereo pair that has incomparable imaging. So happy to get my 103.2's back.

[May 23, 2016]
Harvey
Audio Enthusiast

I finally picked up a pair of these on ebay about 3 months ago for $400 shipped, a bit higher that I had wanted to spend, but they have only 1 slight flaw, a 1/2 inch light scratch towards the back on the top of one speaker. I first heard these in 1984 at a shop on Connecticut Ave in Upper NW DC and for 30+ years their impression stayed with me. I hooked each one up to a bridged NAD 2155 (150W RMS, 250 Peak - 6 db dynamic headroom), replacing the same amp setup that I had with my KLH Model 23s. I think the NAD 2200 would sound better, but like I said, I first heard them connected to the NAD 7155, which is the receiver version of the NAD 2155 amplifier, so they are getting plenty of good, clean power. I think the KEFs just passed the KLHs in my preference for listening. I do have an energy e:xl 10 sub hooked up to my arrangement; it too is becoming my preferred arrangement for music listening. The KLHs are now sitting on the floor with the KEFs on top, but they do not sound good together like my Large Advents and the KLHs did stacked, not an issue. I'm using a Yamaha RXV1500 to drive the KLHs, center and surrounds. All in all, the 103.2s are a nice speaker, but my 32 year recollection was that they were better, that may change with more listening, but I only get a couple of hours per week to "really listen" to them. They are keepers though and I'm sure that my appreciation for them will only improve over time. I also think that they are beautiful pieces of "furniture". If you can pick them up for less than $300 or so shipped, I'd go for them.

[Feb 09, 2016]
RAJ
Audio Enthusiast

The Kef 103.2 is a highly rated speaker and does sound very neutral. It does not have much bass but has a decent midrange mid bass punch for its size.

I would say its biggest weakness is the bass, and imaging. It does not produce a very dramatic stereo image vs other speakers I have. I have Klipsh KG4 and Chorus. Both Klipsch have superior imaging, they feel as if the band is in front of you with depth.

I've had new cross overs built and woofers checked and centered. They are in fantastic shape. They do have a nice sound, and have very nice wood veneer. They are good enough that I will not sell them, they might not image like the Klipsh but they do have a nice overall sound that I think most people would like.

[Dec 04, 2015]
Jonathan
Audio Enthusiast

Absolutely worth every penny and more. I found a pair used and by far, the best decision I've ever made. I'd planned on reselling them, but after listening to them, I can't bring myself to do it.

The sound is clear, bass is full, and now I've found a reason to stay home, watch movies, and listen to music. I really love these things and would not sell them for $500.

When listening to jazz, it's like having a live jazz musician in front of you.
When watching a movie, it's like being in a movie theater.
When listening to music, it's like hearing music for the first time, every time.

[Aug 04, 2015]
Marcus
AudioPhile

Never really thought of myself as an audiophile but after the amount of equipment I have gone through in pursuit of "the sound"...always had an air of snobbery to it that did not appeal to me, however I guess I can concede the point.

My Kef 103.2's are matched to NAD separates, 1240 Pre, and 2200 Power amp with Pioneer PL600 (The good one) with a Grado Silver cartridge.

I have had many sets of speakers hooked up to this system and the KEF's are officially considered hobby wreckers. You cannot do any better without spending seriously big bucks, even then you are only getting small incremental improvements.

These still amaze me, notes hang in mid air, just balanced, bass is tight, punchy and appropriate never boomy or overstated. The highs sparkle and there is NO cringing, they just fit. Very special speakers.

My whole system NOT including the Grado Cartridge cost me about 350 to put together. The KEF's were 125 of that (and yes I realize I stole them).

NOTHING will touch what I hear for even 10 times the money,NOTHING.

I would consider these to be a good value at 400 - 500 a pair just based on performance alone. You simply cant buy this sound new for that money.

[Apr 27, 2015]
Alex Waverley
AudioPhile

I've owned my 103.2's for over thirty years. I cannot say that about any other component I have ever owned. They have been driven over the years by NAD receivers, B&O receivers, Kenwood (1980's vintage) integrated amps, Carver amps, tube equipment...you name it. They are currently being driven by a pair of restored NAD 2400 power amps (bridged) and they are spectacular. They recently became even more spectacular when I recapped them. I would recommend this to anyone who owns these speakers. It is easy on the older versions (I understand the newer units have the crossovers glued in and they are tough to get loose). Make sure you get matched caps from a company that specializes in audio.

These speakers hold their own against the Maggie's in my listening room. They can be purchased and restored for about $300.00 a pair or less, and they will (pardon the expression) snot-bubble any modern speaker at 3-5 times that price.

[Jul 23, 2014]
Arjan_nl
Audio Enthusiast

This speaker really surprised me. I am a Kef loudspeaker fan and am especially fond of the reference series and the monitor series. My preferences only go to KEF from the late sixties to the middle nineties. The eighties being the top of Kef's products.

This is such a natural speaker and has the exact timbre on all instruments and vocals. The total character is involving and warm, though technically speaking it is a very neutral speaker.
It produces music with the right weight/scale to make it real. The bass is warm yet fresh and detailed. I honestly must say that I prefer closed speakers instead of open speakers with a port. The bass in this speaker is much faster and clearer than so much other Kef speakers with open ports.

It feels like that the mid low has a little warmth added to it, because it sounds so nice in that area, so smooth, but I can't detect that with other recordings.

This speaker is all about natural balance and faithful reproduction. The high is sweet yet sparkling enough to be involving. It doesn't have the slightest agressiveness, this T33 tweeter is really nice. The mid is beautiful and is the main reason why people rate is so well. It is all there, it is so relaxing and yet so real. I have heard speakers where the mid is more evident or clearer, but I haven't heard speakers where the mid is so coherent with the high and low.

The bass is great. This is a speaker that proves that bass is important for the overall weight it gives to the music. It really balances the music.

I must say that the bass can be a bit too much if you don't place the speakers well. I prefer the speakers to be a bit higher than usual, otherwise the speaker can be a bit outbalanced by the bass that can overshadow the rest of the spectrum.
Especially long rooms can have some issues with the bass. A bit of bass boom or bump can occur. But when you sit on a higher chair, the balance can change immediately.

So it is not the speaker that could be the problem for the bass, but the room and the placement.
But I do love the bass. It is detailed warm and the prove that you need this bass to get a full presentation with every sort of music.

This Kef 103-2 reminds me of the Kef 101. Its sonic character is about the same, yet the 101 has a bit more open mid. The 103 however is more matured and grown up.

This speaker has really surprised me. I dare to say to you that I might even prefer the 103-2 to the 103-4. They are both mighty good speakers, but they excel in different areas.