JBL S412P Floorstanding Speakers

JBL S412P Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Sensitivity: 92, 8 ohms 12" PolyPlasâ„¢, 4" PolyPlasâ„¢, 1" Pure Titanium dome Built-in Amplifier: 200W 32Hz -- 20kHz Midbass Driver: 6" PolyPlasâ„¢ Crossover Frequency(ies): 200, 850, 3500Hz

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 22, 2020]
Shawn1

Strength:

Bought a pair of these about 3 months ago for $400 Hooked each one up to an NAD 2600 power envelope amp running a NAD 1700 pre amp.these sound amazing at any volume but the louder the better until you don’t realize how loud the system goes,no distortion,just clean,clear sound.these things move air,& lots of it when pushed!! I read another review and the individual said they were no good for Jazz...how wrong a statement!!Put some Miles D on vynal and am very happy with the clarity and precision of each individual insterment Couldn’t ask for a better Rock speaker,they thump hard,pick your favourite band and blast away!

Only things I see are flimsy grills and if the built in sub amp packs it in

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
[Jan 01, 2020]
Trond

Strength:

Just bought a pair of these aging giants (150£) because they looked interesting with an internally amplified woofer. Unfortunately one of the woofer amplifier had a circuitry fault (not unusual), so I can only compare this to my reference speakers (JAMO Classic 10) in a left/right setup; (flat setup-source direct SONY TA-F700ES). I like speakers that "speak" to me: Engaging speakers, that emits a "live" hologram. I feel these are far to muffled. They sounds a bit like vocal performances are emitted through a cardboard pipe (toilet roll core), highs are also muffled. Bass OK, not booming, but just so. I might be seriously biased, though. My brother which is a musician and mixer thought they were very "studio monitor" neutral, and performed very well . To me this is quite boring as it kills any dynamic and musical engagement. If you take into account my verified slightly midrange hearing loss (age 56), I might have a wrong impression of these speakers performance. I will repair the broken woofer amplifier and review the pair again,

Muffled midrange/highs. Maybe to "correct" for my hearing?

Price Paid:
2000
[Jan 21, 2004]
Luftmensch
Audio Enthusiast

I reviewed earlier as well. These speakers have gotten better with time. For the idiots that try to run these speakers with a crap reciever, you are getting what you deserve.

[Sep 11, 2003]
Luftmensch
Casual Listener

Strength:

Clarity at all decibal levels House shaking power handling Exellent powered woofers Price Cabinet build on the II's seems very adequate.

None seen in this honeymoon period.

After reading reviews on this set of speakers and lusting after them for a few years, I finally broke down and ordered them online. I replaced a pair of JBL ND310II's with the 412pII's and there is no comparison to these massive speakers. I have not even had time to start breaking them in and they fill my room (18x25) with clear precise sounds across the spectrum. After reading the preceding reviews I wasn't expecting much from the powered woofers. However, after hooking up the LFE inputs to my subwoofer outputs, I was shocked and amazed at the amount of bass you can blow through the 12" woofers. A tip though, the LFE control knob on the back of the speakers needs to be all the way up. At that point you can use the subwoofer level control on your reciever to adjust the precise amount of low frequency you desire. I also run the JBL PB12 floor firing subwoofer. While the 412 woofers don't get quite as low on the spectrum, they certainly do more than a respectable job. To use the phrase of a previous poster, I did indeed "weep with joy". At the moment my system is as follows: Receiver: Sony ES STRDA3000ES Fronts: JBL S412PII's Center: JBL Scenter Rears: JBL S38's Surrounds: JBL S36's Subwoofer: JBL PB12 The reciever is new also, 150x7 watts per channel, powers my system unbelievably. Yes some may think I have gotten hung up on JBL, but I have this thing about brand matching :P

Similar Products Used:

Wide variety of audio gear auditioned and observed in friends houses.

[Jul 22, 2003]
ILYA Smirnoff
AudioPhile

Strength:

The best I ever heard below 4000 USD prise stage!

1. Bild quality - 50/50... 2. !! PLASTIC !! - GET IT OUT FROM THIS UNITS! 3. HIGH-PASS FILTERS.

Hi guys.. A have just one dream - made the great home theater for less money and get best performance. If you want the same - JUST USE JBL S412P BOUTH ON FRONTS AND REAR (BACK) CHANNELS!!! Im very cautious about new equipment and I'd been looked for loud-speakers for about 3 years! I would say that JBL S412P is the best 1000USD-choise! Very well defined sound. A lot of power. Clarity and incredible mids as well. Do not listen to those, who say that S412 - is casual sound-speakers!!! Equipment I have: Harman/kardon AVR 7000, Front - JBL S412P REAR - JBL S412P Center - (self-made loudspeaker) Sub - (do not need at present time)

Similar Products Used:

J$M LAB, VERITAS (top models), Suond-e-Motion (HIGH-END exclussive), JBL XTi, Nautilus, Infinity Alpha 50

[Sep 30, 2002]
skyboy21
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Mids!! Overall sound is arguably better than anything else in price range. Bass is respectably tight & sounds good. Highly recommended for rock & really any genre of music.

Few considering the value/price.

Great overall speakers. Rich, incredible mids & good (not great) highs. These speakers do love to play loud, but definitely aren't lacking at lower volumes. I will have to say I was a little disappointed with the AMOUNT of bass (given there is 2 12" amplified subs), but powered subs isn't exactly JBL's specialty. For most rooms, the amount of bass is sufficient, but bass junkies or those of us with larger rooms still may want a separate sub. I mainly listen to music, but these speakers definitely do justice to HT as well. I took advantage of Best Buy's "30 day no questions asked" refund policy to try them at home before buying online. ;) Definitely give them some time to break in before cranking them (whoops...didn't sound too great, but no harm done).

[Sep 10, 2002]
jmkotow
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

sound, built in sub's

none

After reading the reviews on the 412's for the past 2 yrs, I bought a pr and the Jbl Center speaker.I am extremely happy and satisfied. The wide range of sounds I've never heard on my cd's befor, is like listening to them for the first time..My room is 15 x 30 and the sound fills the room + the rest of my house. These speakers are everything and then some. by the way these are the new JBL 412P II's Love them !!!

N/A

[Aug 21, 2002]
koop
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

big soundstage with great depth, biggest limitation is probably my room size. Too small. very accurate. great mids.

If you like grills these are pretty flimsy but I thing the copper cones look pretty good naked.

I wasn't looking for speakers when I found these at best buy as an open box for $500 bucks. Like the other reviewer I just couldn't pass it up. I wanted great mids from my next speakers which is why I was listening to B&W, ML, and a new speaker Monsoon (fantastic for the $) I was delighted to discover that these things have a midrange on par with ribbon or ESL speakers. Jazz, Classical, Vocalist sound great. I guess thats the point behind 4 way speakers. The titanium tweeter has great detail without the brightness I found in the B&W's I auditioned (602's I believe) What these things have done though is open up a whole new medium. DVD-A's. With the LFE channel running through the internal Amps and 12" woofers, DVD-A's are like discovering stereo for the first time. Amazing. Time to upgrade to a SACD I guess. While they are a big speaker I think they take up less room than a lot of other high end speakers. Any bipolar speaker will require more distance from the back wall than these and they are pretty forgiving as far as placement.

[Aug 02, 2002]
mon1996
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

ability to re-create rock and roll energy

None if you like rock

I have owned Wilson Cubs, Pro AC 3.5's, and various other speakers in my search for a transducer that would bring rock and roll to life. I have used Aragon, Mesa, Conrad Johnson, Krell etc. to amplify rock and roll music. The JBL's are able to produce rock and roll energy. You do need good amplification. Which mean HIGH POWER amps. NOT to play loud. But to allow the music to be pushed through the JBL's with authority. In my opinion this type of set up will produce what rock and roll music lovers want to hear. I don't care about any other type of music for this set-up. I also use them to power my home theatre. I do not use any other sub. It is not needed in my listening room. (34 by 20) Remember, Amps must be at least 100 TRUE Watts.

B&W, Wilson Cub, Pro Ac 3.5

[Jul 16, 2002]
porsche928s4
Casual Listener

Strength:

Transparent, great soundstage, highs and midrange, accurate bass.

Wont play wall shaking sounds below 35hz.

What a bargin, I bought these for 480.00 for the pair open box. I was in Best buys looking for dvd's bumped into these and could not pass them up. First of all my modest system consist of: H/K AVR520 receiver B&K AVR5000 amp H/K FL8370 cd player Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player JBL S412P Mains JBL S-Center II center Vandersteen 1C surrounds DH Lab interconnects and speaker cable When I got the JBL's home and connected I was pleasantly surprised, they sounded okay at Best Buys, but I suspected with better electronics they would sound alot better. I was correct! They played with the same transparency and accuracy as the Vandersteens but not as laid back, but not too "in your face", also I find the sound very neutural. I listen mostly to jazz and watch an occasional movie. So my test cd's were David Sanchez "Melaza", Charlie Haden "Nocturne", and DeeDee Bridgewater "Dear Ella". I chose these recordings because these recordings are very well recorded, everything is there and they have that "live in the studio sound". Also these recordings have a wide veriety of instrumentation primarily acoustic. I was very happy after listening to these recordings, these speakers reproduced the sound of the instuments accuratley, if the sounds were there on the recordings they were played back without any coloration or boxiness. These speakers seem to "disappear" like vandersteens with its transparancy. For movies I find this speaker adequate,dialog and sound effects are clear and effective, however it will not produce sounds below 35hz, so you may want to add a sub. I am very happy with this purchase and would consider them a good buy for $1000.00

vandersteen,energy,infinity