JBL L80T Floorstanding Speakers

3 way floorstander

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 24, 2020]
eschmuntz

Strength:

Amazing midrange and low end for a 10” woofer. I picked my pair up for $180 with shredded woofers. I had RBH Sound in Layton UT rebuild them. They are perfectly balanced. No one frequency is out of line. A frequency sweep and mic measurement shows how flat they really are. Great example of JBL made in the US. I believe this speaker is kind of a sleeper. I don’t believe it really gives up much with the L100T. Tremendous low end grunt. This will be a keeper for sure. I’m powering with a Nakamichi PA-1 and Rotel preamp.

Not one complaint. I’ve used JBL, Mission, KEF, Infinity, RBH

1987
[Jul 30, 2017]
limp hot dog
AudioPhile

As another has said, get the tweeter up to ear level with stands. It is a titanium, and may sound harsh with some solid state amps. I use an Aragon solid state amp, or one of my higher power tube amps. The efficiency is not great, so clean high power amps are good. There is a small noticeable lag to the bass, it does not keep up with the mid or tweet because it is a heavy cone driver. All the more reason to use an amp that can handle the bass. Try tilting the cabinet back a little, to help with the time alignment. These are keepers, I am keeping mine. Can be had on the used market for 400 or less at this time. In a vintage set up, you will have a great pair of speakers that can handle all kinds of music. Better value and sound than the very large L 100t that i sold, because that speaker has a larger woofer, and the slow bass is even more of an issue ( it was to me anyway).

[Nov 21, 2012]
Joe Sez
Audio Enthusiast

Been over 30 years since I purchased my L-80T's @ "Sounds Great". I paid around $700 for the pair way back when. I love these speakers. I drive them hard. I had the low end drivers replaced once by an authorized JBL dealer because the suspension dried out. I have them incorporated into my 7.1 surround system as the front L/R. I enjoy them as much today as the day I bought them. The finish is like new and the clean contemporary walnut veneer design does not look out of place. They rock.

[Aug 08, 2009]
stevespl3
Audio Enthusiast

Jbl L80t, I inherted these from my father we have had them for over 20 years. I have pounded these speakers to every genre of music that i have enjoyed listening to, and have found that I have a deep admiration for these speakers.

[Mar 16, 2009]
MusclesHT
Audio Enthusiast

Sometimes luck catches up with you right when you need it. I was driving by a yardsell and noticed two large speakers. As I stopped I noticed they were JBL's. I was quick to ask how much they were. What a surprise. They came home with me for $10. What a steal. Since they are vintage, their surrounds were shot, but were not a prob to fix. Parts Express helped me out and now there running strong. Alot of power and booming bass pound out of these bad boys. They are a nice pair of 3 way speakers, and blow most newer speakers out of the water. Best deal I ever got. Beats the $800 pricetag 20 years ago. 5 Stars all the way!

[Mar 30, 2007]
jayray
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

See above. Maybe I'm lucky, but these speakers have always sounded good no matter where I've placed them.

Somewhat heavy. No doubt the L80T's have a throwback look, but I think that's part of their charm.

To be honest, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these speakers because I bought them in 1986 or '87...20 years ago! I'm placing my guess in the $800 range because of another reviewer's $800 price tag from Circuit City (C.C. and Best Buy have always been competitive). Fast forward to 2007 and the speakers are still in mint condition and still sound great. Matter of fact, I drive them with a relic Onkyo Integra amplifier purchased at the same time. Added to my old warhorse system is a Denon single disc CD player and an Onkyo equalizer, both purchased in 1990. The L80T's have experienced it all from classical to country and from heavy metal to Sinatra. At ear-busting or barely audible levels, these speakers have really performed for me.

[Jul 17, 2005]
mraysounds
AudioPhile

Strength:

Accurate and proper sound. 120 Watts, 8 Ohm 3 way powerfull speakers.

Too much sparkling, not being smooth... Needs space. Old fashioned design.

JBL L 80t's... very musical, powerfull, excellent speakers with sparkling midrange, very detailed, clear and clean sound, loady bass and shiny tweeters. I've never assumed that these speakers can give this musical and very detailed sound according to its old fashioned, heavy look. I've surely expected the bass boost when listening to 80's rock (Dire Straits!) because of it's 20 inch loady, puchy shaped bass and a very heavy look but never expected this much of accurate and proper sound as well as many studio monitors when listening to Requem of Mozart or New Orleans kind of jazz. L 80T is of course more "long term" listenable to the studio monitors when compared, but you don't need them if you want easy and "smooth" listening when compared to home speakers at that price... it has shortly noticable timing problems, needs lots of space at least 24m square, 80cm's at least from the walls, you have to use a stand (never mind that it's a floor standing speaker)20 - 25 cm to balance the tweeter with your ear... and it sounds too shiny if you don't have the right amp. The amp. L 80T's need has to be between 50 - 100 Watts with 8 Ohm. It has to be a very smooth but sweet sounding amp. (i use it with Bryston power and pre.) And if you give what this speaker needs, you surely receive the accurate, detailed sound with "every kind" of music. Never listened a speaker both usable as home speakers and studio reference monitors under this price (I bought them for 750$ but easly can be found much cheaper... for 500$ in US). I'm also shocked with so "little information" or NO-reviews given about these speakers in Internet or magazines. Are they so un- noticable? I beleive- not.

None

[Feb 21, 2005]
BretFraz
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

*Awesome speaker for rock and blues music listening. *Great bass and bright, shimmering highs (if you like that kinda stuff) *Kind of a retro 70's/80's design

*Large, heavy, and bulky *Narrow sound stage - positioning is critical *Inefficient - needs a big amp to drive them well *Delicate music playback can sound a little harsh from the tweeters

I've owned these speakers since 1986, when I bought them as an employee of Circuit City. At the time they were a highly regarded speaker best suited for rock and blues. To this day those are the best music types for these speakers. Like others have said, technology and consumer preferences have passed by these speakers. By today's standards the L80T is rather inefficient, needing a high powered/high current amp to really drive them. Hook them up to something like a Harman Kardon amp, throw some hard rock in the CD player, and be amazed at how well these speakers reproduce the sound. What some people complain about harsh highs from the titanium tweeters become an accurate shimmer of cymbals and other percussion. The 10" woofer does a great job of bass reproduction, perfect to feel that kick drum or the low octaves from a bass guitar. The speakers are physically large and heavy. They look out of place compared with the modern, sophisticated, plasma screen high tech image of modern electronics. They look and feel like a 1970's design because they are. No point in whining about it or expecting them to live up to a performance and style standard that simply did not exist when they were designed - the speakers are what they are. I use mine in my all-JBL surround sound system and they work OK. I agree with the other reviewers who say they are very position-dependent. And home theater-type vocal reproduction is average. Yeah, there are lots of speakers that are more versatile and perform better than the JBL L80T. But I'd hope speaker mfr's would have improved their products since the late 70's. Someday I'll replace my L80T's with something more "21st century", but I only hope whatever new speaker I buy will rock the house as well as these.

Similar Products Used:

Nothing. I've listened to hundreds of different speakers (I used to sell them) but I've never owned anything but these.

[Oct 30, 2004]
jackz4000
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

An excellent mid-level 3-way JBL speaker from the 80's. Well built, quality throughout. Yes, cabinet is lined with fiberglass for dampening. Go to audioheritage.com for more info.

For price and performance I can't think of any. Placement is important.

Although this is not among JBL's very best speakers, it is a well-designed unit which has rich detail and a full sound. They used to sell for $800 a pair and come with excellent JBL drivers. For $100 they are a great deal, but they are not L300's or 4333's. I use mine as "B" speakers and they perform very well. Special attention must be given to placement. They should not be up against walls or corners or they can boom. Also, an acoustically dampened room works best. If you have a "slappy" room, like with most other speakers the sound will be harsh for some. These speakers like power so be sure to use a quality amplifier. These are only mid-level JBL's of the 80's, but they will outperform more pricey speakers of today easily. Alot depends on your application and what you are looking for. These are quite linear in response. And I got to give them a 5 by 5 for performance/price because they are excellent. I think a couple of the "reviewers" probably have a beat-up pair with the wrong drivers.

JBL, Klipsch, KLH, Altec, Axiom, Infinity

[Jul 27, 2004]
paul b.
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

good bass, crisp highs. These speakers can really rock if you want, though they sound great at lower levels too. I like the genuine wood veneer and the build quality is superb.

Wife thinks they're a bit large, but so what? They definitely have a vintage look to them, but that's a matter of taste. The Woofer surrounds are foam rubber and deteriorate over time ( 10 years or so) But it's an easy DIY project to refoam them and I think it took all of an hour and a half for both. The little plastic base the speakers came with don't cut it. I took them off and built speaker stands for them. The bass sounds better now, and the drivers are right about listening level for my armchair.

I purchased these in 1991 as closeout/demo models from the base exchange. $300.00 was a screaming deal for the pair, and all they needed was a little light sanding and oil on the walnut veneer. I've used them as my primary loudspeakers since and just love the rich sound.