JBL L1 Floorstanding Speakers

16" Bookshelf speaker

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 13, 2019]
EZotter79

Strength:

These were my Dad's, i've listened to them since I was 11 and I'm 40 now.... so I've been through thick and thin with them. I've heard them powered by a old Pioneer SX-828, and Late 90's Sony multimedia receiver and now a Yamaha MX-1000U. They have huge power handling if you can send them high current goodness. I'm driving them with a Yamaha MX-1000U. They just absolutely come to life and become transparent if you can drive them hard enough... I like to say "they're piss drunk on power" I compare high-current power to a Running Back set and ready to take off compared to someone on the sideline waiting to get called in... low current. I feel like the frequency response is so flat they are like studio montiors... you keep giving them power and they stay dead flat ... it sounds excessively bassie or tinny. Total score if you can find them.

They aren't sensitive if you don't enough current to drive them. I think they are something like 87-88db so they need to be lit up.

Price Paid:
Unknown
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1988
[Apr 26, 2018]
tlaren4

Strength:

Great sounding speaker . This speaker has great detail I can't belive the sound I'm getting out of these bookshelf speakers .

I can't think of any a 200 watt book shelf speaker. If you are poor like me these are about the best speaker you can get

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1990
[Jul 17, 2013]
mjtab
AudioPhile

2 wks ago I purchased a pair of the unassuming 1992 JBL L1 monitors that sold for $750/pr in 1992. They utilize the 706-G1 6.5" mid/bass and 035TiA 1" titanium tweeter, with what looks like a nicely built crossover. The cabinets have a sloped front baffle which I presume is to time-align the highs w/ the lows and minimize standing waves inside the box.

I didn't expect much from them but they sound better to me than the 602s I owned in the past and more enjoyable than the 4312s I've owned too. I expected harsh highs from the titanium tweeter, but they don't exhibit this. The sound is full bodied and the bass is plentiful. What these speakers loose in total refinement compared to more expensive monitors they win out in a big 'fun factor' from their sound. I'm so impressed that I'm building a system in a spare room around these monitor speakers.

[Oct 11, 2012]
olileon
Audio Enthusiast

Simplemente preciosas.Sonido maravilloso, impresionante bajo para su tamaño, medios calidos, agudos limpios y precisos. Lo mejor de lo mejor. Mejor que cualquier bafle de mediana calidad con bajos de 12 o 15 pulgadas. simplemente wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

[Oct 19, 2009]
Kurt
AudioPhile

I bought these JBL L1's off Ebay about 2 years ago and they were in pristine condition. I had been told that these speakers were amazing by a friend and I needed a set for my Marrantz reciever. I owned JBL cenutry speakers in the past and was very happy with them. I wasn't sure that a small bookshelf would sound very good. Wow, I was wrong! These are better than some $2000 speakers I own. The sound is unbelievable! The clarity and bass is astounding! Beethoven or Van Halen sounds better than I ever thought they could sound. I got rid of my Bose 901 because these are better sounding! I am looking for another pair to complete a home theater system. I ask you to buy these if you are looking for a set of speakers that can please even the most jaded audiophile.

[Apr 10, 2001]
A.J. Kossman
Audiophile

Not magnetically shielded

These are great little speakers. I bought a pair to use as center speakers with my L5s and L7s. They aren't as well matched to the larger speakers as I would have liked, but I can't expect a $700 bookshelf to sound exactly like a $2500 4 way tower. I haven't listened to them on their own for 4 years, so I can't give too many detail on the sound, but I think they are a really good speaker for the money. A used pair sold on eBay last month for almost $500, so others must agree with me too.

[Oct 06, 2001]
Douglas
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Overall sound, construction quality.

None

Exceptionally good bookshelf speaker made in the early 1990s when speaker companies designed products for high audio fidelity rather than for home theater use. Punchy, well-defined bass, clear mids and highs without overly-bright sound of many other consumer products in its price range. Current (2001) JBL consumer speakers of same size are made just as solidly (including heavy woofers with rubber surrounds) and can play a bit louder, but none is as neutral-sounding as the L1.

Similar Products Used:

JBL S-26 and many other bookshelf speakers made/designed in the US, Canada and England.

[Nov 24, 1998]
Grant
an Audio Enthusiast

After listening to a hometheater set-up using the B&W 602's as the front channel, and reading favorable reviews in What Hi-Fi (four stars), etc., I decided that this was the speaker I was going to buy. Fortunately I didn't. I took some time to try to find a deal and purchase the 602's as used equipment, which gave me a chance to audition a few other bookshelf sized speakers. For comparison purposes, I auditioned a Signet($600), the B&W 602's ($750) and CDM1SE ($1500), and the JBL L1 ($500). The speakers were partnered with an Aragon Amp and quality CD player to reveil what the speakers were capable of. First up was the 602's. Nice very musical, more detailed than what I was using at home and very sexy looking with their yellow, kevlar drivers. But what I heard next made me really happy I had not gone ahead with my impulse shopping. The L1's shattered any illusions I had about the 602's. The L1's didn't have the astetic appeal of the 602's, but offered up a much more detailed and dynamic sound, with their superior imaging, warm mid-range, and greater bass output. At this point I was pretty much sold on the L1's, but listened to the other two to prove the point. Although I felt the Signet had a somewhat better sound than the 602's, I found it's sound rather dull when compared to the L1. The L1 was definately more detailed, articulate, and a little brighter or more forward sounding than the Signet. While I can't say the L1 was better then the CDM1SE (What Hi-Fi five stars), I didn't feel that they were that far apart either. The CDM1SE is more neutral sounding and does not have as deep a bass signature as the L1. I found both speakers are very detailed lively and engaging, but the CDM1SE edges out the L1 in imaging and tonality, but is not 3 times better than the L1 if price is considered. Not bad for an unheralded speaker that I cound not find any reviews on.
I intend to use these speakers in a hometheater set-up with a Harmon Kardon PT2500/PA5800 combination and would like to use JBL L3 or L5 for the front channel. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on these please let me know.