JBL L1 Floorstanding Speakers

L1

16" Bookshelf speaker

mjtab   AudioPhile [Jul 17, 2013]

2 wks ago I purchased a pair of the unassuming 1992 JBL L1 monitors that sold for $750/pr in 1992. They utilize the 706-G1 6.5" mid/bass and 035TiA 1" titanium tweeter, with what looks like a nicely built crossover. The cabinets have a sloped front baffle which I presume is to time-align the highs w/ the lows and minimize standing waves inside the box.

I didn't expect much from them but they sound better to me than the 602s I owned in the past and more enjoyable than the 4312s I've owned too. I expected harsh highs from the titanium tweeter, but they don't exhibit this. The sound is full bodied and the bass is plentiful. What these speakers loose in total refinement compared to more expensive monitors they win out in a big 'fun factor' from their sound. I'm so impressed that I'm building a system in a spare room around these monitor speakers.

olileon   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 11, 2012]

Simplemente preciosas.Sonido maravilloso, impresionante bajo para su tamaño, medios calidos, agudos limpios y precisos. Lo mejor de lo mejor. Mejor que cualquier bafle de mediana calidad con bajos de 12 o 15 pulgadas. simplemente wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Kurt   AudioPhile [Oct 19, 2009]

I bought these JBL L1's off Ebay about 2 years ago and they were in pristine condition. I had been told that these speakers were amazing by a friend and I needed a set for my Marrantz reciever. I owned JBL cenutry speakers in the past and was very happy with them. I wasn't sure that a small bookshelf would sound very good. Wow, I was wrong! These are better than some $2000 speakers I own. The sound is unbelievable! The clarity and bass is astounding! Beethoven or Van Halen sounds better than I ever thought they could sound. I got rid of my Bose 901 because these are better sounding! I am looking for another pair to complete a home theater system. I ask you to buy these if you are looking for a set of speakers that can please even the most jaded audiophile.

A.J. Kossman   Audiophile [Apr 10, 2001]

Not magnetically shielded

These are great little speakers. I bought a pair to use as center speakers with my L5s and L7s. They aren't as well matched to the larger speakers as I would have liked, but I can't expect a $700 bookshelf to sound exactly like a $2500 4 way tower. I haven't listened to them on their own for 4 years, so I can't give too many detail on the sound, but I think they are a really good speaker for the money. A used pair sold on eBay last month for almost $500, so others must agree with me too.

Douglas   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 06, 2001]
Strength:

Overall sound, construction quality.

None

Exceptionally good bookshelf speaker made in the early 1990s when speaker companies designed products for high audio fidelity rather than for home theater use. Punchy, well-defined bass, clear mids and highs without overly-bright sound of many other consumer products in its price range. Current (2001) JBL consumer speakers of same size are made just as solidly (including heavy woofers with rubber surrounds) and can play a bit louder, but none is as neutral-sounding as the L1.

Similar Products Used: JBL S-26 and many other bookshelf speakers made/designed in the US, Canada and England.
Grant   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 24, 1998]

After listening to a hometheater set-up using the B&W 602's as the front channel, and reading favorable reviews in What Hi-Fi (four stars), etc., I decided that this was the speaker I was going to buy. Fortunately I didn't. I took some time to try to find a deal and purchase the 602's as used equipment, which gave me a chance to audition a few other bookshelf sized speakers. For comparison purposes, I auditioned a Signet($600), the B&W 602's ($750) and CDM1SE ($1500), and the JBL L1 ($500). The speakers were partnered with an Aragon Amp and quality CD player to reveil what the speakers were capable of. First up was the 602's. Nice very musical, more detailed than what I was using at home and very sexy looking with their yellow, kevlar drivers. But what I heard next made me really happy I had not gone ahead with my impulse shopping. The L1's shattered any illusions I had about the 602's. The L1's didn't have the astetic appeal of the 602's, but offered up a much more detailed and dynamic sound, with their superior imaging, warm mid-range, and greater bass output. At this point I was pretty much sold on the L1's, but listened to the other two to prove the point. Although I felt the Signet had a somewhat better sound than the 602's, I found it's sound rather dull when compared to the L1. The L1 was definately more detailed, articulate, and a little brighter or more forward sounding than the Signet. While I can't say the L1 was better then the CDM1SE (What Hi-Fi five stars), I didn't feel that they were that far apart either. The CDM1SE is more neutral sounding and does not have as deep a bass signature as the L1. I found both speakers are very detailed lively and engaging, but the CDM1SE edges out the L1 in imaging and tonality, but is not 3 times better than the L1 if price is considered. Not bad for an unheralded speaker that I cound not find any reviews on.
I intend to use these speakers in a hometheater set-up with a Harmon Kardon PT2500/PA5800 combination and would like to use JBL L3 or L5 for the front channel. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on these please let me know.