JBL L-5 Floorstanding Speakers

JBL L-5 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

four way floor standing speaker

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 12, 2018]
Reverberocket

Strength:

O.K. Late to the review party for my L5's made in the U.S.A. Bottom line - if you find these in decent working condition, just buy them. Period. I bought these used for a song back in 2013. One of my best hi-fi equipment purchases of all time (I'm 60 and from Hollyweird). They sit in our modest living room with vaulted ceilings and un-equidistant from the side walls. Powered by either a Yam. RX-659 Receiver (don't laugh - it's measured at 120wpc, both channels driven into 8 ohms and 200wpc, both channels into 4 ohms), or with a Crown XLS-2500 (about 600+ watts into the JBL's static 6 Ohm impedance), these speaker can ROCK. I have pushed them with the Crown into just touching the clip signal and the L5's were unscathed. Can you say Led Zep or Pink Floyd are playing in your living room?!? Fits my major criterion for anything associated for reproducing music, live or in the studio - are the musicians there in front of you? They also sound good at low volume. How did the engineers do that? Mine were received with out the bottom plates, which I believe props them up and inch or so. I am anal about my reproduced music, so I occasionally prop them up on small foot stools. Seems to mitigate the need for bass traps and helps if you're not sitting down to listen.

Rear port so distance from rear wall/corner carries some significance for bass response. Great output down to 35 Hz. but don't expect much more below that (of course). Titanium tweeter a bit harsh at live club spl. Have had some speakers (Vandersteen; Infinity; Polk; Def. Tech; DCM) that are a little better soundstaging and imaging, but that quality is also dependent on the room/set-up.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1995
[Aug 08, 2013]
Leo Wetzel
AudioPhile

I bought a new condo in 1993 and wanted new speakers as well, so I had a budget of $3,000 and I listened to many speakers before I bought a pair of JBL L-5's for $1,100 because nothing sounded as good for under $3,000. Today they are in my new house and they sound as good as the day I brought them home to my old condo. I still love them!

[Jun 07, 2012]
oli
Audio Enthusiast

Las tengo sonando con un pequeño equipo LG de los de ahora y que barbaro que bien y alto suenan creo que debido a su alta sensibilidad, no mas de 15 watts les meto y suenan como de 100. Ya no mas subwwoofer al menos yo ya no.

[Jun 06, 2010]
swampfox
Casual Listener

I just purchased a pair of JBL L-5 speakers at our local swap meet that are in excellent condition except for a couple of nicks. I paid $70 for the pair which I thought was a pretty good price. They take some getting used to because their much crisper than the rock and roll Denon SC 907"s speakers my son has in his room, which is where I put them. Is it worth adding a powered sub woofer to the mix?

[May 15, 2009]
stravingus
AudioPhile

These were given to me as a gift from a friend who was trying to get rid of them. One of the nicest gifts a musician can receive, especially considering that much of my out-of-studio reference listening over the last 3 years has been through little plug in computer speakers with mp3 sources.

The L5's were plugged into a Denon receiver, without any additional amplification. Much of the listening has been done from either cassette sources, or DVD movies. In both cases, it has been exciting to get lost in the center of the swirl. I haven't felt the need to plug in the subwoofer, cause the bass response within my apartment is sufficient. Any more, and I'd be competing with the various lowriders that cruise throughout my block.

The most fun for me has been checking out the sound mixes of the DVDs I have. Even though most are mixed in 5.1, the stereo image that the L5's are putting out in my space is enough to put a smile on my face. I'll mention the bass again. The Denon has a "cinema EQ" preset, which is basically a bass booster. The L5's hear it nicely. Today I checked out "Apocalypse Now", and the first scene with the chopper napalming the trees over "This Is The End" is pretty intense.

Guess I'd better be careful with "Black Hawk Down".

The other smile has come from Deutsce Grammophon cassettes. Yesterday I checked out some Haydn string quartets. Very nice response in the upper partials of the cello, as well as catching the friction of the bows against the strings.

I can really hear the difference when I plug my iPod in. It's all cold and prickly inside. The noticeable contrast between the mp3 and the cassette source was like I've been shacked up with an ugly chick for three years, and all of a sudden a supermodel showed up in my bed. I saw the light, and kicked the ugly girl to the curb.

Good thing that classical cassettes are in a 'buyers market' these days.

I'm still new to this format, in time, maybe the excitement will wane, but for now, I'm pretty stoked about my JBL L5's.

[Feb 07, 2003]
filecat13
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power handling, sound, clarity, precison, imaging, and looks.

Heavy

I use these as rear speakers to my front L-7s. They provide a great audio signature to complement the L-7s and the SVA-1800 that I'm using as a center. I replaced smaller speakers, and the difference is absolutely amazing. Obviously, they won't be taxed often in their position as rear speakers, but when the source material demands a lot, I no longer have to cringe as the the sound from the rear distorts. The L-5s can handle virtually anything, and they sound awesome doing it.

JBL L-100, Advent, Acoustic Research

[Oct 07, 2002]
timbeaux
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clean sound, can handle some volume, too

rather chintzy plastic base to sit on for such a nice speaker

I really didn't know what I had until I just upgraded from a Sony (715) to a Denon 2802 receiver. While the L5's provided respectable sound with the Sony, coupled with my 110 JBL sub (yet to blow up, fingers crossed), the combination of a clean receiver and these has got me digging through my CD's once again. Got them because I couldn't afford the L7's at the time, glad I couldn't. These will be with me for a long time (at least until my toddler son has his way with them)

Yamaha 3-ways, JBL hls 810's

[Mar 03, 2002]
lisapizza
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

POWER HANDLING, CRISP CLEAR SOUND WHEN AMPLIFIED RIGHT!!!!

Nothing, maybe the cheesy speaker stands it comes with.

Excellent Speakers. People who say this is a weak speaker, Have''nt pushed it''s power handling. I recently bought a CarverC1000A receiver which slams 200 watts per channel!!! These babies were calling me , " Feed Me More!!" The most incredible thing about the " L-5"" is the subwoofer like sound, Like a built in sub in the speaker. Yet, very clear and crisp!! If you put these on speaker stands, Oh Yes!! I''ve had several speakers, but for the price, if you happen to pick these up you will not be diapointed. Bring the THX, Dolby Digital and the DTS DVDs. With the right amp, power, IT SLAMS!!!!!!!!

Several HI-End speakers!!

[Jan 22, 2002]
Joe Brashi
Audiophile

Strength:

Imaging, Excellent Bass, Treble, and Mid's. Power Handling and Dynamics !!

Only came in Black Finish

I think I have to say that the JBL L-5's are my all time favorite speaker, next to the Magnepan 1.5 qr's. The only thing Magnepan has over the JBL's is more mid-range transparancy. The JBL's easily best the Magnepans in sheer power and dynamics. Other speakers I'v owned did not match the JBL's power, smooth/accuate highs, warm inviting mid-range, and excellent/tight bass. Easily the best line of speakers JBL ever produced. Did I meantion very easy to drive? My system includes: JBL L-5's, NAD C-350 Integrated Amp, and a Panasonic DVD Audio-RA60 using Alpha Core TQ-2 Interconnects. Peace and Good Music Too All.......

Similar Products Used:

Paradigm Reference, Klipsch, NHT, JBL L-1's, Magnepan....

[Jun 23, 2000]
Dmitriy
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent reproduction all specter of music without distortion.

children can cut cover material if play with toy cars on floor

I own these speakers for about 5 years and it will last piece of my audio equipment I will ever upgrade. Absolutely awesome sound, reach bass, very transparent highs. These speakers are 6ohms, so some receivers can have problem to drive them without distortions. Good job JBL. I am glad that they are discontinued, because my friend feels envious when listen them.

JBL l1, cl3