JBL HLS 810 Floorstanding Speakers

HLS 810

Loudspeaker

AUDIOGREENCAT   AudioPhile [Jun 06, 2010]

Bought a pr of jbl hls 810's off ebay for 160$ out of the box not bad,left tweeter blow first time I gave any kind of power,I have all parasound seperates class a preamp class a/ab 125 wpc amp pretty good stuff used with many high end speakers including maggie mmgs with no problems I recommend,replacing the tweeters with jbl c5002 1 inch titanium pro tweeters,don't waste your money on stock tweeters they are junk! for 80$ a pair from orange county speakers,I by chance have a pr of pro lll monitors that have these tweeters in them there, impedence and sensitivity are about the same which means the stock crossover will work, you must pull the horns and hack saw right behind the tweeter plate,you will end up with a square hole in the horn about just less 1.5 inches file this square so it looks nice the I used plastic auto emblem adhesive plastic to metal glue, place tweeters face up on a table with glue on horns,carefully place horns on tweeters carefully center them let dry,then reconnect to speaker yellow wire is + you do this this,these speakers will come to life with gushing detail and excellent imaging power handling no problem! this easy mod turns this speaker into a world class monitor! I use mine with two dayton subs no more tweeter issues for the hls the stock tweeter is a 99 cent piece of junk, these speakers are great because they use very minimal crossover parts less is better! and horn loading the tweeter makes it even better the c5002 titanium tweeter is the missing link try it,you will not believe how good they sound. HEAR WHAT YOU VE BEEN MISSING!

timbeaux   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 01, 2002]
Strength:

value, all aspects respectable.

none

good as it gets for the price range.

Similar Products Used: jbl l5's, yamaha floorstanding
avp777   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2002]
Strength:

Sound quality vs size. Looks.

No longer made.

I''m very impressed with these speakers. They are, in my opinion, the best sounding speakers in their size range and I''ve owned Infinity''s, other JBL''s, Paradigm, and Cambridge Soundworks. Though they are smaller in size the bass is deeper and richer, the high''s are crisp and do not hurt my ears which is surprising for polycarbonate tweeters. I got a great deal on them direct from JBL and will keep them for life. I recommend them highly to anyone considering a pair.

Similar Products Used: other JBL bookshelf speakers, Infinity, Paradigm.
dan_o   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 13, 2002]

I''ve had these speakers since 1999, and have used them with two different recievers(Pioneer556, Harman Kardon AVR-510) sound good with both, good bass for a smaller speaker, good highs for what I use them for(mostly movies). Used with jbl sub, jbl center, and yamaha surrounds.

Similar Products Used: JBL S-Center, JBL-10"sub, JBL TLX-181 Towers
bruce smith   Casual Listener [Feb 15, 2000]
Strength:

Great clarity and imaging for the price.

Does not have the bass for stand alone without subwoofer, not like my 1981 JBL 150's. What do you expect for $200 / pr!

Fantastic speakers for the price! I have bought the 610's a couple a months ago and recently added the 810's. I believe the 810's have an edge in bass and imaging, anyone else agree? I just bought the hls center today, expect to get the surround thing going within 2 weeks. I have had an audio sabbatical for 10 years and am getting back into it.

I'm glad that i do not have to endure any agonizing over the snobbery of entertaining buying spaeakers like PSB, mirage etc., these JBLS's kick ass, particularly for the price! With the money I saved buying i just ordered a yamaha rv-1105 to replace my 10 year old jvc. System should improve considerably with this addition along with monster cable sub cable.

Similar Products Used: JBL 150's, BIC venturi.
Mike Moore   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 13, 2000]
Strength:

Smooth Highs nice bass

possibly midrange

For the price it is excellant. I was originaly going to go with the new Studio Series by JBL And they are unbelivable, but at best buy they were closing these out for $100 a pair and the HLS 610 for either $70 or $80 a pair. I bought 2 pair of these. Although they do not compare to the new Jbl Studio series they are tremendous for the price. I will get the HLS center and A JBL 10" or 12" subwoofer. Fully recomeneded for the casual listner.

Luke Ibis   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 14, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent soundstage, smooth highs, surprising bass presence.

None.

I bought these at Best Buy for less than $60 for the pair. This is the best money I have ever spent. As I am employed there, I have long admired these speakers for their excellent overall sound reproduction, but I did'nt know I was in for such a shock when I finally brought them home. They sound absolutely amazing. I've listened to almost my entire catalog of CD's, including my "reference" discs which include a 20-bit remaster of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" and a 24-bit Minnesota Orchestra CD, and am blown away. A friend recently bought some very expensive MB Quart floor speakers, and these JBL's compare to them very favorably. When you consider how cheaply these can be picked up, they are a sure winner. I'm most amazed at how flexible they are. They sound excellent with hard rock CD's like Metallica's "S&M", producing a solid bass with excellent vocal reproducing. But at the same time, they are able to produce the subtle nuances in Miles' trumpet on "Freddie Freeloader." Truly a bargain at any price...get 'em while you can, you won't be dissapointed.

Mike Kirsch   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 19, 2000]
Strength:

Big, full sound, crisp, without false coloration.

The tweeters will blow out without abuse.

I was in the nightclub business for 15 years, operating a chain of 6 dance clubs nationwide, so we were very particular about the sound, playing everything from R&B to Rock. I am a staunch JBL fan from those days. They made bullet proof speakers that had fantastic sound for filling big rooms with clarity, bass, and precision (average size of each club was 1000 seats). I bought JBL 110's for my home and have been absolutely delighted ever since 1975 (still going strong with big sound unrivaled by any others with the exception of Klipsch). Then in '79 I bought a pair of Electro-Voice II's for other rooms in the house.

In July '99, after having listened to at least 10 different brands of bookshelf speakers in the 810's size and general price range (i.e. Boston Acoustic, Bose, Cerwin Vega, B&W, Yamaha, and Sony), there was no question that the fullest sound with good full bass and crystal clear highs came from the 810's. I made the purchase and used them for small room listening, since I use the bigger JBL's in my bar/pool room and the Electro-Voice's in my home theater setup.The 810's were hooked up to a Pioneer SX 255R for a relatively balanced system (with no equalizer). I was not looking for anything more than good casual listening, not driving high volumes. I never pushed beyond 30-50% volume.

After two months of occassional use, both tweeters blew out simultaneously, without warning and without volume abuse. I took them back to the local independent pro shop, Kent Audio Visual, from which I bought them (in July '99) to be sent to the authorized JBL repair shop in Kansas City (Dando Electronics). Tweeters were on back order in October of '99. I patiently waited until March 10 of 2000. With them still on back order, the retailer apologetically refunded my money after I related a conversation I had with a sales person at Circuit City in Wichita. He said that the showroom models of their 810's had failures in both tweeters on two occassions and that they would not order any more for sale after their in house stock was depleted. He also said they had a bad experience in getting adequate response on repairs of the blown units. The fact that these tweeters are on perpetual back order seems to be strong evidence that JBL can't keep up with the blown tweeter demand. BUYER BEWARE of a fantastic sound that will leave you cold after blowing tweeters. Just be sure that you are buying from a retailer that will do the right thing, as mine did, by refunding your money (don't expect to see warranty performed in a short time frame).

In my opinion, the purchase of JBL by Harmon Kardon has denigrated the JBL line to a mass market, box store, cheap component line which is a shadow of its former self. Registering my discontent to JBL by way of email received absolutely no response, so they apparently don't care. In the price range and class,I would give these speakers a 4.5 to 5.0 for sound quality, however my experience firmly places them at 1.0. What good is a great sounding speaker if it is held hostage in the shop for 5 months. So sad, JBL. I replaced them with a pair of Paradigm Titans and am sorry I didn't discover them before this experience. Still in love with my old JBL's and the new Paradigm's.

Similar Products Used: JBL 110's and Electro-Voice II's
Chris   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 21, 2000]
Strength:

Very clean highs and good mid-range. Produce a clean sound that that picks up every detail in DVD movies and cd's. Nice looking.

It would be a good idea to use a sub with these becuase they don't get the really low range frequencies.

I have read that many people think that the high-end (horn powered) on these speakers is too bright. This is a matter of taste. I consider the highs on these speakers to be an positive aspect. I use an equalizer to actually bring out the high end more than the speakers have without one. It is simply due to the way I like to hear music.
These speakers have exceeded my expectations becuase of their detailed and overall sound. They can be turned up really loud and still sound undistorted. I watch DVD movies (5.1 digital sound) using these speakers and the sound is seamless.