JBL Century Gold limited edition Floorstanding Speakers

Century Gold limited edition

200 W continuous / 800 W peak, 6 Ohms , 90 dB/2.83V/m, 60 lbs

Darko   AudioPhile [Jul 05, 2010]

I bought my first pair of JBL's in 1976, Decade L36. Over yearsI tested many JBL, Infinity, Jamo...
Century Gold is absolutely the best ever heard. I have been serching a pair for over 5 years. Now I enjoy music as never before. If you find a pair, go and buy it, you will never regret.
Absolutely accurate, well defined, open. Do not forget to replace crossover 9V battery. Previous owner of my pair had no idea about it, both batteries were made in 1996 and dead long ago. One was even shorted.
I think today they do not produce something similar. SACD disks sounds as never before on Yamaha CD-S2000.
Even room acoustic has no such a big influence - sound simply fill it.
Pure joy, just listen If you are lucky to catch a pair.

Herby   AudioPhile [Sep 19, 2009]

deze speaker staat voor mij boven elke twijvel , evenals m"n cd-speler (sony xa5es) met de denon poa 2200 eindtrap is er ongeloofelijk gedetaileerd laag (nooit geweten dat laag ook gedetaileerd kan) maar midden/hoog , met name spraak/sang-geluid klingt goedkoop/blikerig , spelen zonder voorversterker brengt enigzins verbetering , maar de jbl"s kunnen meer . wat is hier aan de hand ? welke versterker (wel op de tweedehands-markt te vinden) kan werkelijk een upgrade bieden op de poa 2200 ? Herby

Johannhighpower   AudioPhile [Jun 29, 2009]

This is one of the best speakers ever made,. I only put MKP Plus caps in the low and mid filter section. Which was a huge plus. Now there is more definition in the lows. A piano a bass guitar and drums have now really more room, at the same time. Like a bigger tunnel so to say.

I use it with a tube pre and power amp with no feedback in power amp. There comes a 8 x KT88 poweramp for them. I never heard a better high end sound than mine. I buy another set and make them closed box. ( with no bass reflex) so the sound will improve a little then) I hope.

Michiel   Audio Enthusiast [May 27, 2009]

We bought those speakers for our Argentine Tango club, Flor de Fango in Arnhem, the Netherlands.
They're now playing for over 8 years and there's no need to even consider replacment.
Very clear, well defined, with a lot of headroom. We even use them for (acoustic instruments) live-gigs.
Higly recomended

Richardddddd   AudioPhile [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

Perfect Mid level balance

Bar none

As a music producer and mixing engineer, I got disposed to very broad audio spectra. Several years working with a kinds of monitoring, I find these JBL Century Gold's will be my best friend, when it comes to enjoying music.

Very ugly, to some of my visitors at my place. Though, I like the way they look. Distiguised, as I am.

JBL has got this one idea, to reproduce the old model, most cetainly right.

That's my opinion.

Richard, Amsterdam

Customer Service

Weak for these limited edition's from 1996

Similar Products Used: Genelec, Tannoy, PMC, ADAM

All sorts of high end/ studio level monitoring
hansstoop   AudioPhile [Nov 30, 2003]
Strength:

High is very clear and the low is fantastic.

Nothing at all

The first time I heard them I could not believe my ears. Fantastic speakers. I still like them and up till now nothing better I have listened at.

Similar Products Used: Luxman A-372 Denon DCD 735 Micro Seiki BL-51
hansstoop   AudioPhile [Nov 30, 2003]
Strength:

High is very clear and the low is fantastic.

Nothing at all

Similar Products Used: Luxman A-372 Denon DCD 735 Micro Seiki BL-51
yew-wah rao   Audiophile [Sep 13, 2000]
Strength:

being mirrored pair, they offer pin-point precision, excellent disappearing act. Very revealing. Never fail to amaze with each cd you put in.

bass is bit lacking. But as I get it more run-in, it should sound more full-range.

They look good also. Beside the good sound, it is nice to steal a look or two at the 24k gold-plating round the drivers.

Similar Products Used: apogee stage c/w subwoofer, proac response 1, proac tablett 3 signature, martin logan cls.
Ernest schulz   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

Speaker is able to really get you into the music.

none for me, maybe the looks.

This speaker has it all!!

Words are not the method to describe the emotions the Century Gold loudspeaker are able to give me in the 6 months i have them now.

Anyways i have put them up for sale now on the internet.

Why on earth!!!! you may ask.

I think it's because i want to remember them at their best and i fear that if i keep them much longer they will start to fade, fail and bore me and that will spoil the memory of these ugly looking but outstanding sounding boxes.

Its i imagine just like having topmodel Claudia S for you're girlfriend, walking around in a real life dream and finding out in the morning that you're dreamgirl suffers from a bad case of BB (bad breath).

I guess i just don't want to find that out with these golden twin babes, just like Claudia should have gone home after spending a perfect day with her, instead of a sleepover.

You might think perhaps what a frustraded man this is.

I am Almost certain you're right about that, but when i read most of the reviews here i think Lord i am not the only one, thank you Lord for the internet and be able to find out that i am not such a freak after all.