Infinity Systems SM152 Floorstanding Speakers

SM152

15" 3 way bass reflex

Jim   AudioPhile [Nov 05, 2014]

I have a pair of these I am trying to sell. woofer is cheaply made and blew one with my Bryston 4B amp. I paid about $900.00 for these new. they are disappointing and tweeters are sizzly. Poor quality. You will get more bang for the buck with the cerwin vegas. They have dual 15" woofers. I have owned Infinity car speakers also and never really cared for the brand. they are always bass light and cheap sounding

Tom Fisher   AudioPhile [Jul 30, 2010]

When I was in 9th grade I bought a pair of these with hard earned paper route money and I never regretted it. That was about 20yrs ago. I was so thrilled with them I Recently purchased a second pair for the rear channels and will eventually buy one more (somehow) for my center channel too. I don't even want to listen to anything else. I am constantly noticing "missing" noises on other speakers. I can hear people swallow and breathing in the microphone and I swear it sounds like I'm hearing the guitar pick nicking the guitar off the strings on some stuff. I will verify that with enough power you will knock anything off the top of them in due time. I was never able to compare them with any $10,000 speakers or anything but I have never heard a speaker in the ball park price range that came close to impressing me. I would rather lose my car and my condo than these babies because I am afraid someday I will not be able to replace them. Yes, my neighbor hates me. At first I was being somewhat respectful knowing full well what these are capable of, but I don't think she knew that. She was complaining about them a few times. So after a couple weeks I figured... what the heck... and I blasted them for about 10 seconds to show her what loud was. She doesn't call anymore when I play it modestly. I do admit the sound travels on these really bad and it sounds clear as day in the other room. Not sure if that's a pro or a con lol. Actually as far as blowing them out... when I was younger (and able too) I blasted these like you wouldn't believe. Kids at the buss stop down the block heard it loud and clear. I blew about 3 woofers under warranty, but it was clearly abuse. It was only 120 watts per channel (nice sansui), but it was bass heavy and distorted because it was clearly too high for the amp. I always drove it to clip. We lost our heat and had to wait for repair. It was about 35 degrees in my room and I realized that the amp could really push out more power when its cold! I really did beat them. One time I had a scratch in the cone and turned the bass all the way up and the highs all the way down and just drilled it for about 3 minutes with wild distortion before I could get it to blow. It actually started to smoke a little for maybe 15 seconds before it even fried out. I'm sorry Infinity, I was a dick, you still took care of me. Thanks. And for the quality and the service I will always rave about you. When I think of all the components that came and went, this one stood the test of time and was probably my single best investment period. I use these DAILY.

David Maczynski   AudioPhile [Mar 13, 2010]

I bought these speakers new. They are by far the best audioPhile investment I EVER made. Sound Pressure levels are over 100 and it will down right shake the house to death! Picks up every subtle note, I have a pair of JBL studio reference speakers that sit on top (at twice the cost) and the Infinity blows it away! Throw some good ole Rock on these babies and watch the windows move. Just the right natual bass, nothing artificial, no additional coloring of the sound. If you want the feel, sound and rock solid performance...run, don't walk to pick up a pair of these....I've had mine for some..17-18 years. Will not trade for speakers 10 times the price and even then I would want to hear a demo first. They just don't make the "old school" heavy, solid performers like this any more. Pink Floyd SACD mix through these is "unbelieveable"!

Justin   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 04, 2009]

I'm the type of person who still prefers 2 large speakers for sound as opposed to an array of small speakers and a sub so when my father called me from an auction and told me that there was a large set of infinity speakers up for auction I rushed there. I ended up paying $20 for the pair and they're in nice condition. That to this day is the best deal i've ever made because now after owning these marvels if something ever happened to them I would easily pay $1000 for another set. These are by far the best sounding speakers i've owned and as many others have said...the bass tends to move things in the house for me. If you ever have the chance to acquire a set of these, do it. The weight is an issue when moving them but I just remind myself that when they weigh this much, they have to be good.

Michael1234   AudioPhile [Oct 07, 2008]
Strength:

The SM152's are of high quality designed enclosure with a roll off of 40HZ

Sub tends to blow after 125 watts.
Enclosure is not thick enough 1/2 inch dado joint with glue.
Tweeters tend to blow after 80 watts

I have had my speakers for 9 years now and I have replaced every speaker in them with IB- Infinite baffle DVC Sub, Morrell tweeters and mids, used same crossover.
I hand built and specked out the ported enclosure and found the port was tuned to 150hz which is ok since the QES is around 5.32 In addition I twore apart both cabinets and made 3/4" high density MDF particle board with baffle and liquid nail, 1- 1/2" screws every 2 inches on every side. I am pushing 500watts through them and my SPL is 133 DB 1 watt 1 Meter. Impressive The Infinity speakers are good and clean with low volume and classical music. But if you really want to shake the entire house remake everything and use a sub with an excursion of 15mm or more.
If you want to learn more go to WWW.Parts-Express.com this is the best and cheapest place to engineer your every want and need without spending more than $500.00

Customer Service

none

Similar Products Used: Kappa pro series from Infinity
I have great 1973 AR9's as well talk about impressive.
Mike   AudioPhile [Feb 10, 2008]
Strength:

Nice Bass response and overall reproduction quality even on classical

The only real flaw I found was in the crossover design particularly the HF section and the L pads which always seem to oxidize and become troublesome.

I just wanted to add to previous reviews that these speakers have an inherent design flaw in the crossover specifically in the HF section. So if your tweeter quits playing it's more than likely that your tweeters OK. I found that there is a thermal circuit protector inline on the circuit board that goes bad. I have repaired several of these from the SM150 and SM152 models (the crossovers are the same). I just wanted to put that out there for those of you who are attached to their equipment.

Similar Products Used: JBL L150 Century, EV VMR
Craig Haase   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 31, 2007]
Strength:

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.

Appearance is wonderful. Went with the walnut color.

Who needs a sub with a freaking 15" woofer........

The walnut color appears to be cheap laminate but so what.
I get the crackle from my dials too. Just go past your spot and come back if your's crackles. Once set, they rock!!!!

I'm still using these since new. Wonderful for TV. Thumping bass. I power it with a Pioneer VSX-D601 I bought then. Pro-Logic is the best I have and I still shake crap off of shelves in other rooms. Had to stop turning up the volume at 25 because it was practically knocking me over at 8 feet from the speakers. Cannot play albums well because the bass will make the needle skip.

No chance to keep plants or candlesticks on top of them. The solid thump bumps them off every time at high enough volume.

Moved them 4 times from Michigan to California (2 homes,) back to Michigan and now Arkansas. Still have original packaging and styrofoam. The boxes are huge and I use them to store the boxes for my audio equipment.

15 years and still smoking!!!!!! Virtually indestructable.

I have Sony SS-MB105's for rears and an Infinity Video One in the middle.... Paid $25 new for the Sony's when Montgomery Ward closed.

Similar Products Used: First and only set I've purchased.
louderbetter   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 14, 2005]
Strength:

The adjustable mids and highs. Superior workmanship and classic design has held up over a decade. 102 decibel speaker output with 1 watt input. Measured at a distance of 1 yard. Not to many speakers are over 95 dB SPL 1W/1m These specs gave Infinity braging rights then and they hold today. the loudest home speakers you can buy.

Bigger is better except if your room is on the small side. weight between 75-95 lbs each. Depends on how many toys my 2 year old has put in thru the huge open port in the back, a kitten got in there once also. Can't use as a table either because everything vibrates off.

These speakers are LOUD and indestructable. With built in circuit breakers and a 102 decibel rating these monsters are awesome. Rated at 300 watts each. Hooked to a Carver TFM-4.0 that puts out 375 watts RMS The protection has saved mine more than once. I like the sound at listening levels too. Work great in TV listening. With these you won't need a seperate sub, you won't have room with all the real estate these take up. Just a great sounding speaker overall. I am 100% satisfied with the overall sound and the loudness of these after over 10 years.

Similar Products Used: JBL, Cerwin-Vega, Sony, Advent
JJJD IV   AudioPhile [Jun 04, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent tight and well defined bass-- never overpowering. Great mid presence and very distinct highs... They look awesome with the grills off!!

They are heavy!! It takes a large room to create an accurate soundstage... The highs get abit on the bright side in the higher SPL range, but hey, even the baddest rock concert will leave your ears ringing for awhile!!

These speakers are the best pair I have heard to date. Tigher, more responsive bass than a Cerwin Vega. Far better midrange presence than JBL. And rock way harder than any tame little Bose! Funny, the first 2 companies are all tied into Harman Kardon somehow... The 15" woofer is extrememly potent in higher volumes, but never booms over the mid or high frequencies. Even playing bass heavy music such as Rap, the bass stays tight and well defined. The twin 4 1/2" mid drivers cut through the midbass with a nice sense of presence... The polycell tweeters can get abit bright at higher SPL, but this is easy enough to adjust with proper EQ. Speaking of EQ, you would be surprised by how good these sound even with a flat EQ setting! The front level controls are very usefull in creating just the right sound to suit your tastes. No matter what style of music I listen to or what movie I watch, these speakers never seem to sound dull. One note however to say is if you live in an apartment like I do, it can be VERY HARD to tame these beasts from causing a domestic disturbance. Even at a lower volume, that bass is still bumping! One thing to consider is space. It takes a large listening room for these speakers to create a nice soundstage. In a smaller room they are just a bit too overbearing. Another consideration is how heavy these bad boys are!! If you move often like I do, you better find a good chiropractor or find yourself a roadie cause at about 98 pounds a piece, you are in for some pain!