Infinity Systems SM112 Floorstanding Speakers

SM112

Floorstanding Speaker, 1 woofer, 1 midrange, 1 tweeter

Daniel   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 07, 2011]

Calidad de sonido exelente, responden con poca potencia, exelente selector de nivel de altos y muy buena respuesta en rango medio y bajo.
Cada 10 años aproximadamente es necesario reemplazar la suspensión de foam del woofer, con mano de obra idonea quedan perfectos como nuevos.
Valen la pena

avgoalie01   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 31, 2009]

i bought these speakers used from pawn america about 3 months ago and i think the sound is very crisp. i got these for $80 and i hooked it u,p to an amplifier from the 70's with a loudness equalization and the bass midrange and tweters all sound exceptional, the bass even makes my chair feel like a massage chair these speakers are a good buy

ed   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 26, 2006]
Strength:

strong highs and mids
Solidly built
last for ever
VERY efficient (100db)
good imaging
some models have mods for tweeters and midrange

bass is lacking
they will not die (you will never have a really good excuse to upgrade)
big cabinets but no bass--seems silly to waste the space

I got these speakers in college more than ten years ago. They supplied the music for numerous parties early in their life. Since then my amp has blown and my powered sub has gone too. Amazingly, these still sound and look like new. I almost wish they wold blow up so I can upgrade. These speakers have excellent imaging and a pretty good sound stage. They do not disappear into the room like great speakers do, but they sound pretty good compared to their fair competition. They have very crisp highs, unfortuantely enough to cause fatigue on the listener (the built in level control for the tweeter helps but then the mids will overpower you-- one model has level control for mids and tweeters-that's the best bet). They excell at low volumes due to this crispness, but can make you feel like your ears are about to bleed at high volumes. The midrange is likewise bright and edgy. Unfortunately, these will give for a pretty shallow sound as most mid bass and low bass is not well produced by these speakers (if they did produce it well these would be on my top ten speakers list). Unfortunately, even a sub won't help you much because the sub will fill the low bass but you will still have a gap in the mid bass. I am struggling with this right now as I have installed a new, very powerful sub a couple of weeks ago. I've got awesome highs, great midrange, thunderous bass, but a big gaping hole at the midbass. This will not be an issue to the casual listener but trust me, once you listen to a nice set of Paradigms or Axioms, you will be shocked at what you are missing. In all fairness, those speakers go for over $1000 a pair. All in all, these are probably the best budget speakers from their era. in the early to mid 90's the budget speaker market was dominated by speakers offering over done and muddy bass, shallow midranges, and piercing highs (Cerwin Vega). These seemed to be the more controlled speakers from that time. If you can find them used for under $125 bucks you should get them.

Similar Products Used: only listened to others:
KEF
Paradigm
Infinity primus
cerwin vega
axiom
Mongo   Casual Listener [Jan 20, 2004]
Strength:

Crisp, clean, clear sound

A little weak on the bass side ... use a sub with them.

I have to hand it to Infinity ... these speakers rock! Not as much bass as I would have liked, but after 10 years of pretty solid use, they still sound great! They have a nice, clean sound that I really like. Only issues are with the controls ... there's a little static if I adjust them, but that's probably dust on the contacts.

Jeff Wood from Canada   AudioPhile [Nov 14, 2003]
Strength:

Clean high and mids! Compact enough

No low ends but good mid bass Laminate is peeling on the bottom. Should have been solid, not laminate

I have these speakers hooked up to one of my HT systems. I am very impressed with the longivity and high quality still being produced by these old style speakers. Infinity did something right when they made these floor standing speakers. I have worked them hard so many times and I still like to go down and workem hard every once in a while. They are used mostly for music listening now and that is what impresses me so much about them. Excellent highs and lows are ok. I have a powered sub hooked up too because these speakers just don't have the ooommmmfffff that I wanted!

Similar Products Used: you name it, I had it
Jeff Wood   AudioPhile [Jul 27, 2002]
Strength:

Great highs and good mids!

Not very accurate midbass and no low bass.Needs a separtate Powered Subwoofer.

I find the speakers to be very good at producing mids and highs but lacks midbass and bass which is very important to me when I listen to music and watch movies. The placement of sounds are good and I think these are very good speakers if your looking for something to produce quality and good performance. But make sure to use a good receiver with plenty of power. These need it.They also look nice and have been well worth the taking.It's just too bad it was inheritance.But well worth it.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Dennis   Casual Listener [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

Very nice bright sounding speakers. Tight bass, nice looking, reasonably priced.

none

I went to Circuit City one day and listened to every set of speakers they had and settled on these. I like a very bright, crisp, clear sounding speaker and these speakers sound great IMO. Sure I'd love to have a set of Klipsch LaScala's or Horns but I can't afford something like that. I have lived in 1 bedroom apartments since I bought these and they are more than sufficient to get me evicted. :o)
I like to think I know a fair amount about audio equipment and I know what I like when I hear it, and Infinity Studio Monitor series speakers sound great. If you prefer a bright crystal clear sounding home speaker at a budget price, these speakers would be a good choice.

Similar Products Used: none
Jason   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Still plays like new after 6 years! Very well built and very sturdy. Great all round speaker.

If too loud highs are a little harsh

I have had these speakers since 1995. They have been great speakers and still sound as good as when I bought them. When I bought them there wasn't a speaker that could touch them for the money. I am not sure if they still sell this speaker or not because I haven't seen it in any stores for a few years. That is mostly due to their style, not their sound!

They are very efficient speakers with good bass and great highs. The only complaint I have is they are tiresome on your ears at higher volumes where the treble can become harsh. At normal listening levels I these are my favorite speakers. I have Klipsch RF3's and Bose 701's and think these sound the best.

Similar Products Used: Klipsch, Cerwin Vega, B&W, Mission
Dan Augustine   an Audio Enthusiast [Sep 25, 1999]

The Infinity Systems SM 112 floorstanding speakers are a generaly good value. They are a few years old, but still funtion perfectly after heavy use. The system has generly good reproduction of instruments, but voices get muddled quite easily without very good speaker placement. I enjoy listening to this speaker but I have 2 complaints. The first is that the bass is rather poor compared to the size of the woofer, you would expect alot more from them from thier size. Second, the stereo imaging of these speakers has a very, very nasty tendancy to "slide" around. You can hear voices slowly move about 1 or 2 feet left and right when they aren't supposed to and don't on higher end systems like KEF speakers, so that can be a major bummer when watching a movie and the vocies are moving when the charcters are not. But, if you need a speaker system in a pinch for mainly instrumental music, I would recomend it, but not for home theater. Overall I would give it 3.5 stars but I will round up because of the good price we bought it at and the long 5 years of service these speakers have given me.