Infinity Systems SM Video Floorstanding Speakers

SM Video

Infinity Studio Monitor center speaker

Apu Sista   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 26, 2000]
Strength:

Big sound. Plays loud with ease. Sensitive.(91) Clear mids. Can hear every word and sound.

Still need a sub-woofer! If you put too much bass into this speaker, it handles it but begins to lose clarity...which is probably why center speakers are designed with less bass response. Simple styling or rather a lack of it.

If you pay $ 250 in India, then you have paid the equivalent of $ 125 in the US. So, for $ 125/- it's excellent value for money like most Infinity products. But don't buy it for power handling unless you own a small movie theatre! Not too many amps push 175 watts pc and I for one certainly couldn't listen anywhere that loud! And don't buy it for the bass either, cos' when you crank up the bass on your amp you lose clarity. Having said that, it's a nice "big" center speaker and Mel Gibsons voice sounds the way it should without a sub.

Similar Products Used: Infinity CC1, one Bose 301 (! ) and a Gale.
rajiv   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 20, 2001]
Strength:

Its a studio monitor. Great highs and very efficient.

sounds boxy at times...guess i'm too close to the speaker(i live in an apt)

I own infinity sm-115 and sm-185 for front and rears. I searched a lot but could not find a matching center speaker. I bought the video 1 that was widely available at ubid only to find that they just were not as efficient as the other speakers (89db v/s >100db). So finally after giving up hope of finding a bargain price on the SM video, i went and bought these at the official outlet store for abt $165. Its a great speaker. Matches perfectly with the rest of the systema dn i'm having a great time watching DVD almost every other day!
They don't sound too open...or have good bass response but still they sound quite fine to me. No complaints. But I tell you guys, inifity is not making speakers like they did. The studio monitor series are one of the best line of speakers i've ever heard! The new interlude series suck!!
All in all, i'm a happy man...i'm surrounded by infinity SM series! The rest are as follows:
Sony 27" TV ( i know i know...its small! but give me a break! I just got out of college!)
nakamichi av-8
infinity sm-115
infinity sm-185
toshiba dvd sd-2200
jvc tape deck/vcr

Similar Products Used: infinity video 1
Geoff   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 25, 2000]
Strength:

Clean, clear, crisp. Great upper range with excellent detail.

No adjustments for fine tuning.

The SM Video Center Channel Speaker is a great value compared to others on the market. The lows are very good for such a small speaker. The midrange is very accurate, and the highs are outstanding. Some might think that they are too "bright", but they are exceptionally clear and detailed. You will here sounds that might not otherwise be heard from some other speakers. If you like washed-out, or monotone sound, this speaker is not for you. But, if you want detail, and accuracy, then get one if you can. It will complement any speaker system. This is an excellent value, if you can find one. At $130 to $160, you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used: Infinity Minuette, Watkins A1-C(built by a local designer who works in conjunction with Infinity, and holds several patents)
Jason   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Incredible output and definition! God these things ROCK!

I wasn't pleased with the speaker wire inputs - they're a bit cheap for such a mid/high end speaker.

Outstanding value!! These will fill any room and make even an inexpensive receiver sound like a dream. A friend of mine has a set of Triads that he's no longer happy with when compared to mine, and he paid about 4x more! They are definitely better than the PSB's I also have.

Hit +amazingly+ hard for a 10" woofer, though I added a sub to round out the system for what I like listening to. My gf said she was starting to orgasm from sitting on the floor (wood) while I was testing!!

I just bought 4 more to set up a home theater system with (5 speakers + 1 spare I can't use unfortunately) so they match all around. Should sound xlnt!

Similar Products Used: Between my friends and my own explorations, dozens of different speakers over the past 2-3 years.
Scott Reisdorf   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 03, 1999]

This is an Incredible Center Channel. I got this at Frys Electronics on a 1/2 price sale for only $99.00 and boy does it deliver the sound quality. Super crisp and Super clear, Exactly what you want from a channel and this does it all. Incredible quality. I recommend this to anyone who wants a Great home theater system. 10+ stars for this one!!

Jim   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 14, 1999]

What a great decision to buy this speaker.Good low end and high end.The voices sound natural and smooth.I bought this to go with my Infinity SM 215 mains.A perfect match!And what a great deal, on sale for 129.00.

bRUCE Bruce   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 21, 1999]
Strength:

Good Price for what you get

Highs are overemphasized

Great speaker for the price had it for over 2 years But in HT the sound seemed to come out of the speaker rather than the screen even after calibration

Similar Products Used: cc3
Randy Rogers   Audio Enthusiast [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

Just about everything you could ask for from a center channel speaker

Wish it had five-way binding posts. This is a VERY MINOR complaint.

Where to start.... I bought this to go with my SM155's for a similar sonic match. I absoulutely cannot express how wonderfull this speaker performs. I stole this thing for $129 on closeout at Sound City. I have since pushed this speaker with a vast array of DVD and pro-logic and all it does is PERFORM! I can honestly say that after an extensive amount of auditioning, I simply couldn't justify purchasing other center channels at twice the price! I have had this for over two years and I am completely satisfied. If you can find one, give a listen (preferably with some decent electronics/source material) and I'm fairly confident you'll come away impressed. Here is what I use it with:

Pioneer VSXD906S Receiver
Pioneer DV525 DVD Player
Infinity SM155 Mains
Infinity SM65 Surrounds

Similar Products Used: Technics, Cerwin Vega, Polk, JBL
Leigh Weston   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 18, 1999]
Strength:

Power, looks

Don't see how anyone on a modest budget could pass this speaker. At 175 watts power rating, this baby can handle. Well, some may argue that the rating means nothing, but when you turn up this speaker, with it's 1 inch tweeter and dual 6 and 1/2 inch woofers, stand back. I've even played movies with just this speaker on just to hear what it could do. Bass is defined if not deep, and midrange clarity is superb. At $129 (or less if you can find it), buy it. I bought it awhile ago for $200!!!! maybe I was robbed a few twenties, but still, no regrets.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 24, 2001]
Strength:

Nice midrange, voices are clear and crisp. Sounds loud even with low powered receivers probably due to its Bass Reflex design.

The bass could be a little better it sounds too bright sometimes. Infinity never had problems with the high and midrange, just the bass.

This speaker is definitely a great center speaker. It provides enough of everything to give you a realistic movie experience. The midrange on this speaker sounds great. Voices are clear and on screen explosions sound real. It could use a little more bass. However, I don't have a subwoofer so I guess I'm depending too much on the center speaker to provide the low frequencies. Music sounds great on this speaker also. I recommend this speaker to those who are thinking about buying it used considering that Infinity discontinued the SM series.