Infinity Systems RS-5 Floorstanding Speakers

RS-5

2-Way dual 6 1/2" and one 1" tweeter. Floorstanding.

Justin P.   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 11, 2016]

I picked the up off Craigslist for $40 and they sound amazing. I'm running them off a Denon 1911. I use these as the front speakers in my surround sound set up. Work decent for home theater but really shine when playing music. My center channel is a Boston VR10 and out plays these in HT. My surrounds are Infinity RS2's. When the RS5'same are placed right I've had them over power a couple loweeks end 8 inch subs. Picked up an Infinity PS12 and the whole system rocks. Overall I'd say if you come across these for a good proces
s, pick them up. You won't regret it.

diomondstar17   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 27, 2006]
Strength:

all

grills

these are very loud speakers they make movies seem life like.
music.played thru theses.sound way better than any other speakers ive ever owned.ive always wanted hi end speakers.with bass.
my setup.is old but it works as for sound.
kenwood 505-5.1 recever
panasonic 5 disc
panasonic dvd recorder
harmon kardon disc burner
comcast digital recever
i have monster cable runining every thing.
discontinue /more value..

Similar Products Used: JBL,cervin vega
Anthony   Casual Listener [Oct 17, 2002]

I have used these speakers for a few years now. I listened to all sorts of competition (hooked up to my HK receiver) before choosing them. I narrowed everything down based on sounds. These were the only ones left standing. I love them. I have listened to all sorts of movies and all sorts of music. These speakers have done a great job throughout it all.

CARL HAUSKI   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 12, 2002]
Strength:

Infinities are always a great choice if your on a limited budget. Best bang for the buck.

big... An interior decorators night mare.

System has infinity RS-5''s as main, RS-3''s as rears and cc-3 as center powered by Yamaha DSP-A1. Low end provided graciously by my B+W ASW-2000 sub. This system rocks for the cash spent. I pound the crap out of the system and and have had no problems. It''s not the Corvette but maybe the Camaro w/ 6 speed. Thought about upgrading to Nautilus 804''s w/rotel RB 1090 amp but still debating? Music and dvd''s sound awesome.

Similar Products Used: bose 901, Kenwood
DJ   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 15, 2000]
Strength:

The set-up of the cone is superb and you can crank the speaker.

The grill in the front is in plastic and the sound is a littel to hard.

For the mone i spent on these are they good. They are a good start before you move to more heavier stuff. They are easy to sell as second hand, people knows about them. I would not recomend them to people that realy looking for the Hi performance. You can find better.

Matt   Audiophile [Feb 18, 2001]
Strength:

Wonderful sound.

none

Lets set the record straight. Everyone knows the score. People swear by their own particular brands of speakers. Nothing else will do. Infinity is a good name. They do a lot of research before sending a product out to the masses. They know how to make speakers that can accurately reproduce sound. These speakers are no exception. Unfortunately, these speakers would not be considered an audiophiles dream, simply because they don't cost a small fortune. That is the only reason though. Having listened to the spekers for a few years now under many different listening conditions, they have served my flawlessly. New speakers claim to have all the new bells and whistles that are "guaranteed" to knock your socks off. You know...titanium coated this, polished that, kevlar reinforced poly dual-injected this, depleted uranium that. The bottom line is, this speaker isn't about hype, it's about making beatiful sound. THIS, is what it does. I have upgraded my home theater system many times over the years. Spent a lot of money on powerful and accurate amplifiers, processors, and sound sources. I have never even considered replacing these speakers. They simply can do anything you tell them to, and they do it with grace. They aren't "in your face" speakers. There are no house shaking lows or make the dog howl highs. They simply do an outstanding job of making whatever you put to them, sound beautiful. There is no distortion, no hiss, no rattle, no hum. They aren't your "pretty" speaker either. They aren't elegant or cutting edge, and they don't come in the color of month. But they are designed to work. And at the end of the day, a speakers job is to do one thing.....reproduce sound. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone, and I mean ANYONE. Even people willing to spend obscene amounts of money on a speaker. You will not find a more satisfying speaker, at any price.

John Morton   Audiophile [Dec 23, 2000]
Strength:

Lows down to 20 hz (yes, 20 hz, which is lower than most subs!! Highs are crisp and tight.

Midrange could be a little better, and highs are sometimes a little harsh.

These speakers are simply awesome coupled with the right hardware. I started with 2 RSs-5s in front facing straight back, an Infinity cc-3 center channel, and Infinity RS-3s for rears, and an old Sony receiver. They sounded pretty good, but I had heard better. NOW I HAVE 4 RS-5s, 2 in front, and 2 in back. I still use the CC-3 center. I also have an Infinity HPS-500 sub. I also have now purchased a new Sony DB-930 receiver. The 930 is better than the 935! I also have the bass for the fronts and rears set at -4 db since the sub will pick up the slack. This brought the mids up to a clarity that can't be described. ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS COMBINATION IS THE BEST I'VE EVER HEARD ANYWHERE!!! I'D PUT IT AGAINST ANYTHING!!!!

(Including the %5000 electrostatics my boss has, and the $17,000 VanShwagens I've listened to)

Similar Products Used: Infinity Minuettes, bose, paradigm, acoustic retrash, jbl
Joel   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 13, 2000]
Strength:

Good tight bass response

Little less on the High's

I've never really owned infinity speakers nor have I really listened to them but when I heard these babies at the demo room at Circuit City they we're pretty impressive. Sound clarity and bass I thought was very good although I would like to see more of the highs a bit more, but hey for $199.00 ea. it was a pretty good deal!(it was on sale)
Hooked it up on pioneer vsxd 608 receiver, infinity bu80 subs and hts 10 sat center and rear.

Even   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 25, 2001]

None except that they are not produced anymore.

I agree with you Matt - these speakers simply play music wonderfully. I bought these speakers in the US and I just love these speakers. I brought them home with me to Norway (spend a lot of money on that) because there aren't many loudspeakers that I truly fall for. And besides, I couldn't buy this reference series in Norway. There, it's only one place who sells Infinity (web site; www.eufonia.no)and they sell Kappa and a different Reference series. Compared to the US, Infinity in Norway are much more expensive.
These speakers produce sounds like no other I have heard with a soft crisp sound and sufficient tight bass. Compared to the new line Infinity is out with, these give out a much better sound.
If anybody can get their hands on a pair of these speakers, BUY THEM!!! They fully deserve five stars.

Kevin   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 20, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent bass; Crystal clear highs

none

By far, these speakers have performed the best apart from the others that I have tried. I have them powered by a Harman/Kardon Receiver and accompanied them with an Infinity Center, Infinity rear surrounds, and a Velodyne CT-80 subwoofer. The system sounds superb for casual music listening and for 5.1 DVD's. I'm looking to buy another pair to replace my small surrounds. So if anyone wants to sell me a pair in good condition, please email me.