Infinity Systems Reference 2000.5 Floorstanding Speakers

Reference 2000.5

Ported 6.5in woofer, 1-in tweeter

bondtrails   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 24, 2006]
Strength:

Sharp, crisp highs
Looks great as a piece of furniture

Muted Bass
Cloth materials are difficult to keep clean

I've owned these RS2000.5 for nearly six years now and I can't complain. As with most everyone's posts, these speakers are great for their highs and mid range. With respect to the lows, its rather flat and muted. For some, this may be a bit of a disappointment given the physical dimensions (you would expect more bass out of the acoustic chamber housing of these speakers).

But for those that don't mind pairing these up with a subwoofer, these speakers perform quite admirably. Their response is great and can follow the transients of a well engineered CD. Where these speakers shine are in home theatre use because of the dynamic mids and highs required. The fact that they don't pump out lots of lows isn't an issue for home theatre because you should already have a subwoofer. In a 5.1 THX setup, you can safely set these speakers as "Large" to maximize the full range of sounds coming out of your receiver.

All in all, these were worth the $300 I paid for them (but definitely not worth more than that).

M. David Tucker   an Audio Enthusiast [Dec 15, 1997]

This is an excellent speaker pair of speakers. The bass they produce is more then enough to fill small to medium sized without the aid of sub-woofer. Also, the high and mid-range of the sound spectrum really standout. However, the main advantage of the speakers is their ability to play at high volume levels with clarity and perfection.

Sol Luis Rivera   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 1998]

I bought a pair of RS 2000.5 for just $275 a month ago. I have a Sony STR-D915 receiver, a Yamaha CDC-845 CD changer, and a Panasonic PV-4662 Hi-Fi VCR, along with a pair of RS 2000.3 as surrounds and a CC-3 center channel hooked up with Monster Cable which have permited me to fully enjoy these speakers with music and movies. Action movies soundtracks sound great and there is absolutely no lack of bass without a subwoofer. The quality of the sound you get depends on the rest of the hardware you own and the quality of the recording you are playing. (Try Dave Matthews Band, Fiona Apple or a recent Disney animated movie and you will hear.) Room filling bass, crystal clear highs and capable of playing at high volume without a bit of distortion. Excellent speakers and a great value.

Selvyn Thomas   an Audio Enthusiast [Jan 21, 1998]

I bought a pair for $ 385 from Crutchfield.These speakers have excellent highs and mids but not enough bass.As I live in an apartment I cant turn up the sound too much which could be the reason for the lack of bass ?? .Anyway I'm now looking for a sub and if anybody could suggest one to go with the infinities (without making a hole in my pocket) I'd be happy to hear from you.

Chris   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 13, 1998]

These speakers are good enough for the money I paid, $269 for the pair when Lechemere went out of business. The bass get loose and distorted when used as main speakers at anything above moderate volume. They are better suited as suround speakers IMHO. Highs and mids are good, but easily overwhelmed. I'll keep my Klipsch Cornwalls as main fronts, thanks.

Dave Mapp   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 03, 1998]

Infinity RS2000.5
I recently upgraded my entire home audio and video equipment, to include the purchase five (5) Infinity speakers, most notibly the RS 2000.5. As is my custom when purchasing anything, I did an extensive investigation of those items that caught my eye, to include reading all reviews on these speakers poseted on this website.

To say the least, these speakers are incredibily sounding for their size. The mid to high range frequencies are so clear and clean, that one feel's like he's sitting in the studio when the recording was made. It don't get much better than this!

If there is one knock on these units, is that the bass, while clean, is not wall shattering as their specs tend to suggest. In my case that's fixed by a powered subwoofer (that's a whole other review).

Finally, pricing on these speakers fluctuate vastly, depending on where purchased. In my search, I found these speakers running from a low of $265/pr. on the net to a high of $550/pr at a well know audio chain in Florida. I finally settled on a delivered price of $385 from Crutfield.

If your're in the market for some serious sounds check these babies out!

Brian   an Audio Enthusiast [May 05, 1998]

Excellent overall speaker. Crystal clear, with tight, defined bass. Can't go wrong with these unless you want loudspeakers. Great for people who enjoy clarity rather than a loud noise. Bass want shake you, but it sure sounds better then people give it credit for. I got a decent deal on them, which adds to the enjoyment!

Van Nguyen   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 27, 1998]

These speakers alone won't provide enough base. I bought these speakers along with BU2 subwoofer and i have to say that this combination sounds just as good as other high end speakers that i have listenend.

Jim Pryde   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 1998]

Got my 2000.5's from Crutchfield today, along with my JBL PSW1200 from onecall.com. After reading several reviews of the Infinitys, I tested them without the subwoofer, and they certainly do lack the bass punch needed for any room larger than a bedroom. What low frequency response there is definitely is tight, but it's not powerful enough for my tastes.
Then, I hooked up the subwoofer! All I can say is WOW! The highs and mids of these speakers are wonderful. Standing in the middle of the room, I was blown away while listening to Dave Matthews Band. For a mid-priced speaker, these are teriffic. They don't take up much space, and they look VERY sleek. I definitely recommend picking these up, if you're looking for a decently priced speaker to go along w/ a powered sub. Don't rely on these speakers alone for serious bass punch.

Jeff Tieman   an Audio Enthusiast [Feb 16, 1998]

These are great if you like good looks and somewhat crispness. Otherwise, they're a joke. The sound from them isn't that clear and natural, kinda all mixed up. The bass is fine if you like audible bass, not bass you can feel. (Bass heads, don't get this if bass is what you are looking for from them.)These speakers distort quickly not even at a high volume even though Infinity says they have a large gap for deeper bass and a short voice coil. The woofer is absolutely NOT bonded to the surround via "molecular bonding," rather is physically bonded using adhesive glue(a thick layer of it). Oh, and the "Acoustic Resonance Filter" is just a little piece of that poly-fill stuffing glued on the inside of the box.. only like a little 8inX4inX4in; there is plenty of space behind the speakers for standing waves to develope. Well, I thought the tweeter was nice and crispy, and the looks were nice. I would'nt want any of my friends to buy them though. I went to a hi-fi store and looked at B&W 602's, many Polks, Bostons, and Paradigms. I bought Paradigm Reference Studio 20's...