Infinity Systems Primus 250 Floorstanding Speakers

Infinity Systems Primus 250 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

• video-shielded
  • 2-way, bass-reflex design
  • frequency response 49-22,000 Hz (ñ3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 92 dB
  • handles up to 150 watts
  • black wood grain vinyl finish
  • 5-way binding posts
  • 7-3/8"W x 35-1/2"H x 11-3/4"D

USER REVIEWS

[Oct 02, 2016]
Arno Schollmeyer
AudioPhile

After hearing about the Infinity Primus 250 towers, I decided to buy a pair. I hooked them up to my Adcom 550 Amp. These speakers sounded better than any pair of speakers in its price range. I then turned on my powered Polk audio sub woofer and wow, did everything come together. Mind you, my Adcom amp is 200 watts of pure unadulterated power and these speakers handled every bit without a single problem. The only other point I need to make......if you want these speakers to sing, then you need to get yourself a good clean amp and you won't be disappointed!

[Feb 14, 2012]
erik60
Audio Enthusiast

ik kocht deze speakers van ebay nieuw voor 170 euro en ben er heel blij mee , de kritiek dat de lage tonen onvoldoende zijn moet tegen spreken , met een goede versterker spelen ze fantastisch ik gebruik een oude warme marantz 1040 en de hoge tonen stampen door de grond ook heel mooie hoge tonen mischien mocht dat iets meer maar met een equalizer moet er meer uit te halen zijn

[May 27, 2010]
peceps
Audio Enthusiast

I bought Infinity Primus II 250 made for European market less than one week ago, and I can say that I am impressed!
The midrange are smooth, somewhat recessed which makes this speaker enjoyable for long listening.
The highs are also good, but it can use a little boost there.
I read many reviews that this speakers are little bass-shy, but I strongly disagree. In a small-medium room this speakers have more than enough bass. I've measured the bass response and it goes flat to 50Hz and then starts dropping fast, and after 30Hz there isn't any response.
The high range are audible even at 20000Hz. From listening to sine wave fro from 60Hz to 20000hz the whole frequency response seems ruler flat to me, even better than my Sennheiser headphone which were my reference for full range flat sound.
As for the build quality, the drivers are very good and expensive, no doubt there. The box it is pretty good, but not like those on more expensive speakers.
The same goes for the crossover which is calculated to perfection, but with mid-low end parts, which can have consequences when listening on high volume(not that I've head any), or when the speakers get old.
The dumping material can also be better. As for the wood it is pretty thick 19mm I think, 16 kg each.

Associated equipment:
Source from PC (flac) to Denon AVR1700 via digital link.

[May 21, 2009]
craigwcg287
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a pair of Infinity Primus 250 speakers, and I ran an 80 watt per channel amplifier into them. When I turn the volume up, I blew a tweeter in one of my speakers. After I replaced that tweeter, I ran some test on my Infinity Primus 250 speakers to find why I blew the tweeter with some test equipments, and then I have found out the AC ohmage (Impedance) on my Infinity Primus 250 speakers drop from 8 ohms to 3 ohms from 5000 Hz to 20000 Hz. When I turn the volume up, these speakers have too much treble sound that is caused by the low impedance in the upper audio frequency range, and that's how I blew out the tweeter. The treble sound from my Infinity Primus 250 speakers is so high it drowns out the bass. I had to turn treble control down to -8 db in order to get these speaker treble sound to optimun level when I turn the volume up, and I did not blowout anymore tweeters since then. These speakers have good bass and treble as long as you keep the treble control turned down whenever you crank up the volume. If you buy these speakers, and you're planning on turning the volume up; turn the treble down, or else you would blowout the tweeter.

[Aug 23, 2006]
Flabio
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Very well balanced high and midrange, sound good with all types of music from classical to jazz to rock. Unbeatable bang for the buck.

A little light in the bass region for a large room.

Like the middle child, I suspect the Primus 250 is sort of the forgotten model of the line, but it shouldn't be. People often discount the importance of speaker placement and the size of the listening room when evaluating speakers, and I'm no exception. I first set these up in my large listening room, and was quite underwhelmed by them. They couldn't put out enough bass to satisfy me and they seemed to have a overall dark tonal characteristic. I was able to help them a little with some tone adjustments, but I wasn't happy. So I decided to try these guys in my master bedroom, and wow what a difference! Gone was the dark tone and the lackluster bass. The top end opened up and the mid-range sounded right, and there was plenty of bass even with the tone controls bypassed (flat). To sum it up these are great speakers for a small to medium sized room, with no real weaknesses unless you are total bass freak. I'm sure these speakers are reaching down into the 40s hz range, but you can't expect miracles from two 5.25" woofers. These seem to be going for around 300 a pair which is a great price, and anything less is an absolute steal. One last thing, for some reason even badly recorded 80s pop music sounds good on these guys, which is a plus when consider how much badly recorded music there out there.

Similar Products Used:

Vandersteen, Spica, NHT, Polk, Altec Lansing.

[May 29, 2006]
Madayan
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Slightly warm sounding speakers with decent bass (depends on whether you like warm sounding speakers to bright speakers). Good soundstage for the size and price.

Could be clearer (please don't get me wrong - I don't mean to say they are muddy in any way).

These speakers do not sound half as bad as a review below suggests. In fact these are pretty decent sounding speakers. I brought them home to compare them head to head with my Tannoy MX2-M speakers (very well respected in the $300-$400 /pair range). My amp is a modestly powered NAD 705 receiver (40 w/channel). Compared to the Tannoys, these speakers sound bigger and have better bass extension- obviously expected - but don't have their resolution and transparancy. Also the Tannoy's are smoother sounding.

This is my first impression of these speakers (just got them home this afternoon to test and did an A/B test) and I am sure they will only sound better over time. Can't say whether these are the best sounding speakers in the $300-400 /pair range - a lot depends on personal taste of course. But they definitely performed better than I expected - my previous experiences auditioning speakers from mass consumer stores have been terrible (excepting the Athena AS-B1 from Best Buy - they have gotten good reviews everywhere).

Similar Products Used:

Athena AS-B2, Tannoy MX2-M, Tannoy MX3-M, JBL northbridge series (stay away from these if possible - unless you want pure junky bass), Klipsch B1/B2.

Also heard some Polks (too bright and muddy for my taste), B&W, Energy, Monitor Audio and PSB speakers in store.

[Dec 20, 2005]
trojan2900
AudioPhile

Strength:

they will play loud and play clean. If somebody says different, some component or cable in the component chain is the problem, not these speakers.

No deep bass. Mid bass is good. What do you expect from such a speaker? Buy a nice sub to go with them

A nice pair of speakers for the price. Smooth open sound, nice highs and midrange. Go surprisingly low if driven with a top quality amp. I have mine hooked up to a Krell intergrated via Audioquest type 4 cable, and these speakers do just fine. I have the Infinity 10" subwoofer hooked up to the Krell secondary pre-out via Kimber Silverstreak to help with the low bass. Really these speakers go pretty low, surprisingly so. It might be because of the Krell amp, a brand known for tight bass control.

[Oct 16, 2005]
bluekn8286
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good on the vocals and on the Hi's

Not too good with bass, but a good sub will fix that.

I bought this pair at Circuit City after going through 2 sets of Polk Audio Monitor 50s (the first had physical damage straight out of the box and the second had static for bass and also physical damage straight out of the box). As a result, I decided to go with the Primus 250s. When I brought them back home I opened them up and I noticed they were a lot heavier then the Polks. I then set then hooked them up to my reciever and gave them a go. I'll definetly say, after playing some music and some movies, that the vocals and hi's are pretty good, but the bass is minimal. However, once I hooked up my sub all the bass problems faded away and the speakers became pretty well balanced. Although my father's Energy floorstanding E-XL250s sound better, these infinity's, for the price, sound great. I would would reccomend these to anyone who is just starting out in HT. Later, I plan to put these as my surrounds and hopefully get some Infinity BETA 50s for the front.

Energy E-XL250

[Mar 05, 2005]
Dmax
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Nothing

Everything

These are by far some of the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard.It distorts almost at mid volume and beyond plus the grills break to easily.Infity is going to the dogs.My Polk R30s are much better.

[Jun 19, 2004]
WabashCharlie
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good looks (esp. w/o grille on) Small footprint/spacesavers Good mids and highs Better than similarly priced Bose and Polk Audio models

The bass takes tweaking, but sounds very good if you don't mind that there isn't a tremendous boom. Still, you can skip the subwoofer with these, unlike the Polk R50s.

These speakers are a good value for their price, but lack the lower bass of pricier models. They have good fidelity and can be played at high volumes without too much distortion. The bass problem can be solved in large part by putting on loudness and bass boost since the sound doesn't seem to distort much even with both those on. With only 5.25 inch woofers, the lows are actually better than I expected. The highs are great, as are the midrange sounds. These are much better than the Bose 301 V series speakers I considered, especially when it comes to the sound of the bass (tight as opposed to muddy and booming). GREAT for classical and jazz, and at least tolerable for Hip-Hop if bass controls are cranked. These speakers are pretty much equal to the Polk R50s I checked out on mids and maybe a teensy bit inferior on highs, but blow those out of the water as far as the power of the bass goes. You don't need a subwoofer with these speakers, so I recommend them highly, unless you can afford to shell 600 or more a pair on better speakers. I'll be putting these attractive (black and silver) speakers in my dorm and ditching my precious but blown Tannoys.

Klipsch, JBL, Tannoy, Polk