Focal Electra 906 Floorstanding Speakers

• Bandwith 50-23000 Hz
  • Sensibility (dB/W/m) 90

eelco74   AudioPhile [May 18, 2005]

Direct sound Very revealing Great 3D depth Good quality buid and materials

Sound could be a little bit more forward but other than that a great speaker

I have always had big transmission line systems, like the Rogers Monitor 6.0. However I have always liked the direct sound of monitors like the B&W and Jmlab Electra 905. So when I moved to another house, It was time to change to a smaller pair of speakers. And this time I wanted high quality bookshelves on stands. I listened to the B&W's but found the tweeter to revealing and metallic sounding. I also tried the Cobalt 916s from JMlab. This is a nice speaker, but when I listened to the Electra 906 I was sold. The 916 is a fine sounding speaker, but when you move up the live to the Electra and the Utopia, you get more detail, better damping and better depth. Since it is a heavy speakers, you need a good stand to support it. When you pair the Electra with a quality stand (like the Atacama SE6) you get a very direct, revealing sound. The tweeter is very informative, without sounding too bright. The woofer does not go very low, but has a fantastic midrange that really delivers with voices and acoustic instruments.