Epos Acoustics ES11 Floorstanding Speakers

ES11

two way monitor

andre nunes   AudioPhile [Feb 06, 2013]

You guys have said it all .BRILLIANT!!!!!!
Only problem it shows UP poor recordings.SOUNDS REALLY GOOD WITH ACCOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS!!!HAVE YET TO HEAR A BETTER SPEAKER>HAD THESE FOR 18 YEARS NOW!THE BETTER THE SOURCE THE BETTER THEY SOUND!

Quinton Africa   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 07, 2010]

I have never heared such a neutral, clear and inviting speaker before. It is absolutely briliant with timing. The separation and detail of the speaker is unsurpassed. It is versatile and can be matched with various CD and Amplifier combinations. I have stuck to a meridian 606 dac and a nakamichi cd4 as a transport with a sony 333ESR amplifier. This speaker has indeed blown my mind.

Henry Oliver   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 14, 2007]
Strength:

Powerful bass without drowning the treble. excellent !

None

I have used Epos's ES11's for approx 15 years and they still impress to this day in all respects. Amps & CD players have come and gone with me and I have auditioned numerous other speakers in those 15 years as possible replacements for the ES11's but I can find nothing to match them.
They are brilliant.
Well done.
What a pity they have ceased production.

CATFACECOPPER   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 30, 2006]
Strength:

SWEET ON VOCALS AND SING WHEN ASKED

NONE

I'VE HAD THESE GEMS FOR OVER NINE YEARS AND LOVE THEM AS MUCH NOW AS WHEN I FIRST GOT THEM. LOTS OF EQUIPMENT HAS COME AND GONE BUT THEY REMAIN.

Similar Products Used: PMC LB1
safetyman   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 26, 2004]
Strength:

Great midrange and tonal quality, wide staging, imaging.

None to speak of.

I have had these wonderful little speakers in my system for a while now. Bought it off another audio enthusiats who had gone to a full NAIM system. I am without much knowledge or experience in this unlike the audiophiles with very critical listening abilities, but here goes. This is my own personal experience and some confirmations from audiophile friends who have heard them. The ES11 strength is in it's midrange, but yet it does well in all the other depts. too. Good details, imaging, instrument separation and very decent bass. The type that I like and coming from a small performer like this is great. Forgetting about the audiophile jargons, I have found that it produces music that is very involving. The soundstage from lefr to right and front to back is so nice that I smile every time, I listen to my favorite music thru it. I had first partnered it with a COPLAND CSA 28 amp and it sounded nice, then a pair of Brystons 2B-LP amp bi-amping, and it sounded great, and now they are partnered with a PassLab Aleph 3 and they sound magical. Great speaker for the beginners and also the seasoned audiophiles. And to think that mine should at least be about 6-8 years old when I bought them. :)

Similar Products Used: Harbeth Compact 7, Epos M12, Dyn Audience 42
buganna   AudioPhile [May 13, 2004]
Strength:

breathtaking detail, control and sweetness.

foam grilles fall off ?

truly truly remarkable speakers. the best I have every heard in ANY price range. I replaced my electrostatics with these. the sound is truly stunning, clean, neutral, and very very detailed, yet very sweet, never hard sounding. required high quality amplifier, mine are used with a 40w valve amp and they sing. as a hi fi sales person, Ive heard everything, but there are only a handfull of truly great products. these are one of them. note later Epos products were NOT designed by the same designer.

Similar Products Used: more or less everything you can think of.
scoolman   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 28, 2003]
Strength:

wonderful, neutral, detailed sound

poor bass, but what do you expect.

I love these little speakers. I now build all of my speakers, but these are the only pair of commercial speakers that I cannot surrender. They are very neutral and well--mannered. I have not had a problem driving them. They sounded at there best driven by a McIntosh MC225. A MC240 was also very nice. They are currently driven as the left and right front channels by a B&K AVR220 in a small home theater setup, probably not an optimal use for them, but spouse approval is involved here.

Similar Products Used: B&Ks
Alan   Casual Listener [Sep 11, 2002]

Mine sound wonderful. I listened to a friend's and they sounded great too. Highly recommended. Purchased second-hand they are a real bargain and everyone likes to get a bargain! Apparently they are fussy about the partnering equipment. I use a Pioneer A400 amp with them and I think these two components go well together.

James   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 22, 2002]
Strength:

Imaging, clarity, value for money

None really

My system comprises of Rega Planar 2, Arcam DV88 (I know it''s a compromise, but it''s a great sounding compromise!), Arcam A85. I''ve been having the ''speakers argument'' with my partner for about, oh the last 6 months! You know the one that goes, him ''My God, those floorstanding B&W''s would be perfect for my system'', her ''how much!, they are so ugly and disgusting and I don''t want them in my lounge, can''t we get some nice little Sony speakers that we can hide in the cupboard?'' And on and on, until.... I got these EPOS ES11 on their stands, for £200, bi-wired them up, and my God they sound so sweet, all her arguments have melted away! Huge amounts of thumping bass is no use to me as I have 2 small ones sleeping in the evenings, however a rich, clear sound scape, amazing image and clarity, and vocal reproduction that is insanely good!

Similar Products Used: B&W CDM 1-NT. Considering these cost £750 new, the EPOS ES 11 trounces them!
Marc Bratton   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 25, 1999]

Now replaced by the the ES12, which has new drive units, and has been well reviewed. I've heard both, and damned if I can tell much change.I'm sure if Ihad 'em side by side in my listening room, I could, but...
These have an elegant, refined sound that belie their low price (esp. since
buying 'em used is now your only option). Clear, clear, magic midrange, and a
treble that's hard to find any fault with. Typical of minimonitors, not much in
that lowest octave and a half or so, but what bass is there is of very high
quality, with no boom at all, if you set 'em up right. Setting them right means
good quality stands, 2 feet or more from the back wall, as much distance
as you can get from the side walls (at least 2 feet, preferably 3 or more) and
8 feet apart from each other and listener. Lock in the distance to the last mm.
Only slight toe in-they don't like too much. When you get it right, you'll know...they really can disappear. If you've a crappy room, some treatment like
RoomTunes might be necessary-I had to use a pair of RoomTune Deluxe panels @ the
rear wall behind them before I could get 'em to pull their disappearing act. Sure, I'd like "more" bass, "slam" etc. but in my small, reverberant room, it'd
be asking for trouble I don't need. Biwiring is mandatory, as are good quality
electronics-they'll chew up and spit out hashy midfi gear. Their ported mid/bass drivers require a relatively high damping factor-when I tried 'em with
a Music Reference RM 10, the lush midrange was to die for, but the high output
impedance of that fine little amp made these speakers sound drowsy, downbeat,
lazy. They love my new Bryston B60! At about 475.00 used, I don't see how you can do better.