EPI 100 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 01, 2016]
Marty J
Audio Enthusiast

My comment is a quote from the Complete Buyers Guide To Stereo/ HiFi Equipment 1980 edition. This is what was called a capsule review.
The EPI 100, 8" AS woof, 1" inverted dome tweet, 1.8k crossover, 12W min pwr, 48hz -3db freq, 21x11x9 (HWD), 25lbs. Rather than making outlandish claims backed up by dubiously acquired specifications, EPI is quite reasonable in stating the frequency limits of this item. The actual sound is excellent with bass response remaining crisp and tight to the lower response limit. The treble response is clear and airy. Overall this is an excellent speaker and a very good value in its price range. End quote. Considering the model 100 was introduced in 1970 and this review is from 1980 and that the 100 is still popular with audiophiles, it's got to be a great speaker. I got mine from Tech HiFi (NYC) in 1981 and still use them.

[Mar 21, 2016]
Simon
Audio Enthusiast

Something compelled me to buy what was to me an 'unknown brand' in a church sale. I'd never heard of EPI, and had not re-entered the audio world since I left it 20 years or so ago. It came with an old pioneer receiver of the same vintage.

I could, quite simply not believe my ears. So I did my research (EPI 100V) and discovered what you all have - what a beautiful listening experience, so I paired it with a Sansui (217) amp and got a double bonus.

These are very rare in Australia, and still worth very little price wise.

There is literally no fatigue in listening to them, the midrange / vocals and soundstage is quite unbelievable. For a total cost of $150 ($50 for EPI + Rotel turntable, Rotel Receiver and Pioneer AMP), and $100 for the Sansui, this is an absolute winning combination.

Mine were only ever used in a Church so 100% original, unmodified with original surrounds.

The bass (for a sealed enclosure) is bigger than expected, the highs are sweet and enjoyable and at no stage bright or offensive.

I feel like i've won the lottery, I haven't had this pleasure listening to music since , well .. ever.

[Dec 26, 2015]
Robby
AudioPhile

I live in Holland, and i bought a cheap pair of EPI 100V of the Bay. These speakers will blow away AR 4x's! Iam still searching for empty cabinets. So i can build a second pair. SO anyone?? I have the 2 tweeters and 2 woofers as a spare.

[Mar 07, 2012]
kswiss442
AudioPhile

I have a pair EPI 100 LINEAR speakers that I purchased in 1976. These speakers are incredible. The highs are crisp crystal clear. The bass is deep, it seems to play with the inner ear. Incredible. Friends have come over and asked what kind of speakers they are. Im in the process of replacing the drivers for the third time since 1976. The tweetershave never been replaced and sound just as good as the first day I brought them. I would put them up against any speaker in its price range.

[Oct 26, 2011]
SCATO
Audio Enthusiast

I PAID $200 IN 1977 FOR MY EPI 100's. THAT YEAR CONSUMER REPORT MAGAZINE RATED THE EPI 100 THE BEST BOOKSHELF SPEAKER. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING MY WOOFERS FOR THE 2ND TIME & MY TWEETERS & CROSSOVERS FOR THE FIRST TIME. THE CHERRY CABINETS STILL LOOK GOOD AFTER 34 YEARS. MY WIFE HAS TRIED TO GET ME TO GIVE THEM UP EACH YEAR BUT I HAVE HELD MY GROUND. MY SON-IN-LAW (A MUSICIAN) OFFERED TO PAY FOR THE UPGRADE THIS TIME BECAUSE HE IS CURIOUS TO HOW THEY SOUND AFTER ALL THE TALK I GIVE THEM. THE MIDS & HIGHS ARE NATURAL AND SWEET. LOOKING FORWARD TO PAIRING THEM UP TO A NEW AV AMP.

[Oct 26, 2009]
Donplatt
Audio Enthusiast

I Love these speakers and cannot part with them. I have had other speakers but none of them touch the soul like these. Very musical and a speaker you will never forget.

[Jun 21, 2008]
bill18018
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good bass
Exceptional mids and highs
Very musical sound, more like real music than any other speaker I have ever heard in the sub $2,000 price range
Don't demand a ton of power

While not fatiguing, EPIs are a bit on the bright side. Great for classical, jazz, blues, or anything acoustic. Not the best "Yo Dude Rock-N-Roll" speaker...if that is what you are looking for.

I bought my first EPI 100s in 1982 and now have a few pairs and some other EPI 100s. I have compared them to several other vintage and modern speaker systems and I am always impressed by their clarity and musical nature. Their bass is good in both quality and quantity but it is the tweeter that leaves its competition in the dust. I have always found that violins, piano, brass, and the female voice that will give fits to speakers. EPI 100s handle these with grace and ease. Not the best speaker I have ever listened to but easily the best speaker for the money.

If you want to play them at party levels and not have them sound strained 60WPC should be enough power.

Advent, Genesis, AR, Infinity, Quad

[Jun 20, 2007]
seriouslistener
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clean, efficient, low listener fatigue

Probably not the greatest for today's dance/electronica - but then you probably don't want to hear the detail on the crunchy samples and virtual instruments.

I purchased these when I was working my first recording studio job in the 1970's. They are classic midfield monitors, very neutral, accurate, with low listener fatigue. I was listening to JBL's at the time and I found the JBL's to be too forward in the mids and fatiguing. (The JBLs were powered by Crown's and the occasional MC-240, backending an API/Quad8 recording infrastructure)

The EPI's hava minimal crossover which should make for a good phase response - I think unnatural phase repsonse is a major source of unnatural sounding speakers.

They are secondary speakers now, still love them.

JBL 4311, 4320, 4350; Westlake monitors similar to the 4350; Mordant Short 3.40

[Feb 03, 2007]
Fred Fischer
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clear clean sound and long lasting

need more base and EPI is no longer in business

I have enjoyed my EPI 100 speakers for over 30 years. They have been my second pair backing up my great JBL L100A studio monitor speakers. I have always enjoyed listen to the clear sound the produce. I have more then once looked at upgrading them but could not bare to part with them. I will continue enjoying them for years to come.

[Aug 23, 2004]
arielG
AudioPhile

Strength:

clear sound, you can heard each instrument on their own...their are made to listen jazz

no deep bass, their were not designed to listen Chemical Brothers!

When i heard them in a shop were ony sell vintage audio i was impress by the clear sound, the voices were very real and the bass was powerful enough...but i did´t bought them, i NEEDED to try others...i try others, some new some vintage but they didn´t impressed me as the EPIs...so i came back a few weeks later with my cousin (she is studing elecroacustic composition....) and she gave me OK i NEEDED!!

Similar Products Used:

sorry i really dont know