Energy Speaker Systems Veritas v1.8 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 07, 2016]
SkipSizzle
AudioPhile

Had these speakers for 1.5 years about 4 years ago. Paired with a Tandberg set (3001,3002A,3006A) and had found audio-nirvana. Had to sell all of it to move across the country. 3.5 years later I decided the time was right to find a new audio-nirvana. After purchasing several amps and speakers (Sony, Onkyo, Parasound, Marantz, ADCOM / KEF, B&W, and even Revel Ultima Gems!) I made a full circle. I now have a Tandberg 3026A amp and a 3002A pre. They were pushing the Revel Ultimas and sounded fantastic! Thought they couldn't be beat! Then a set of gorgeous Veritas 1.8s in piano black magically appeared on the market just 15 miles from me after not seeing them anywhere within 2000 miles of me for months. I jumped on it. Got them home. Excellent condition. Time for a test. $6K MSRP Revel Ultima Gems vs $4K MSRP Veritas 1.8s. No contest. Veritas annihilated them. Now you might say "but hey they aren't oversized floor speakers" and you'd be correct! But that doesn't excuse the Veritas smoking them in the high and mids. The soundstage is close to three times larger. The bass! Oh the bass! It's DEEEEEP and TIIIIGHT. You'd have to drop $5K on a new sub to be able to keep up with these speakers. My B&W and Velodyne subs just muddy up the bottom end of the Veritas'. These are true 2.0 system marvels. I can vibrate the walls with them with the bass half up. If you listen to quiet music you can up the bass and have an incredible flat sound from 10 Hz to 20K Hz. If you get a chance to get these do it. And never let them go.

Side note: The 2.8s are just as good. Heard them a while back and they sound almost identical but are less "fun" although they have even more bass. Better suited for Home Theater IMHO. ("fun" is the intangible aspect of music that I would describe as a combination of punchy lows and mids with rich LFE bass that carves out a solid groove that makes your head bop. "Fun" makes you want to dance!)

Tried all my amps with the Veritas' and the Tandberg blow the doors off all of them.

[Oct 11, 2015]
Mraudio
Audio Enthusiast

I bought these today based on the reviews that were on this post and they are absolutely the best sounding speakers that I have come across. I have had more audio equipment over the years than allowed by law. These replace my sacred KEF 104.2 speakers which I have had for the last 5 years.(longest run so far!) These make the KEF pale into insignificance. The bass on these are tremendous, vocals are superb. These do everything right, hands down. It is like a veil has been lifted on my system! I purchased these today at Pawn Exchange for $500 and it is probably the best bargain that I have had so far in my audio endeavors. If you are able to come across these do not hesitate take them home and you will have immediate gratification.

[Nov 21, 2009]
dude9091
AudioPhile

Wow... truly amazing. Only word to explain these speakers. The instant impact of these speakers was truly stunning. Previously I had owned the Paradigm 11Se mk3's, Vandy 2c's, Energy RC 70's, PSB 60T's, Mission 763's, and a slew of others, too many to count. I've come across the famous 803 series from B&W or the silver stratus and stratus Gold from PSB. I've listened to the Martin Logans, the Paradigm studio 100 series... you get the picture. I have simply named these speakers as a reference in hopes that my high praise for the 1.8's might show, to each and every person who auditions and purchasees a set of these, how impressive these speakers truly are. You can instantly tell concerning the million dollar tweeter in these suckers or the smooth as silk mids. But it really is the bass, soundstage and "mmpphhhh" that stunned me about these puppies. So much so that I have proclaimed to my wife that these are my holy grail of speakers, I have made a commitment to never sell these for as long as I own audio equipment. I stand by that, and will to the end.
There is not a better speaker under $5000...PERIOD.
Honestly, for those who have the oppurtunity to find a poor sap willing to let these go, jump on them and don't look back. I've made good and bad decisions with audio gear, but with these, these are my best decision yet. They will become your standard of great speakers in every aspect, for the rest of your listening enjoyment.

[Jan 05, 2004]
Robert Weaver
AudioPhile

Strength:

Everything: Highs, mids, lows. Also, you can tri-wire if you like, or bi-amp/bi-wire. Furniture grade finish: beautiful.

None that I've found, unless too much bass maybe in small rooms.

The only descriptive word I can come up with is wonderful. Bass is tight and unbelievable, I don't even have to use my dual Energy 10" subs (currently unplugged). The highs and mids are better than anything I've heard at any where near this price range ($4000.00). Specs are 32Hz to 33kHz which is conserative as they go much, much lower. A great pair for SACD in stereo and multi-channel if you use the Veritas center (V2.0C) and surrounds/backs. Backs (V2.0R) can be used as mono-pole for SACD listening and truly mate well with the V1.8's as mains. I would reccomend checking out a used pair as prices have come down, what a deal I got on like new piano blk 1.8's.

Similar Products Used:

Listened to many in this $$ range.

[Dec 16, 2003]
Comeau
AudioPhile

Strength:

With a decent size room and a good power amp they can produce very tight and powerfull bass. The mids and voices are first class and the highs are smooth and detailed. Soundstage is impressive, especially if you are able to get them 7-9 ft. apart, and imaging ranks with the best in this price range.

None that I could think of.

These speakers rank up there with the best. At the original retail $4300 (High Gloss Black), I would still consider these a good deal. Fortunately I paid far less than that and I am very pleased with their performance. These are a beautiful gloss black finish making them a real eye pleaser as well.

PSB Stratus Gold, Paradigm Studio Monitor,

[Oct 16, 2003]
HeyMario888
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Dynamics, soundstaging, very transparent, excellent vocals and mids/highs, deep and punchy bass.

The bass could be a problem if they are not at least 36" from the rear or if used in very small rooms.

These speakers are IMHO truly wonderful sounding. Very musical, smooth, great dynamics and soundstaging, and plenty of details without being overly analytical. Just make sure to give them plenty of space from the rear (at least 36"), otherwise, the bass will be way too much and will overpower the mids and the highs. BTW, I listened to my friend's setup which consists of the $18K Avalon speakers, $10K Krell monoblocks, $5K Marantz SACD, $10K DAC which I forgot the name brand, and $10K speaker cables and interconnects. Except for the ability of this system to go very loud without falling apart and presenting a truly huge soundstage, I feel that my system held it's own pretty well. If you are looking to purchase speakers in the $1000-$4000 price range, make sure to at least try listening to these speakers. Right now, I'm using the Sony SCD-333ES SACD player, an Adcom GFP-750 preamp (very detailed and very tight bass lines), and a Parasound HCA-1500A power amp (the high damping factor provides very tight bass control). Interconnects are the Harmonic Tech silver coated copper cables and Tara Labs Prime-1000 for speaker cabling.

Similar Products Used:

Infinity Reference, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm Studio 100 v2, Energy C-8, Thiel CS2 2, B&W 801 Matrix S2, Hales Revelation 3.

[Sep 06, 2002]
Matt Hoskinson
AudioPhile

Strength:

Tons of Mid-range to fill in the that big gap that many high end speakers can't do.Awesome cabinetry well deserves a 5 star rating for the black laquer finish

Will definitely be your back after carring a pair up a flight of stairs. Not a light weight speakers by any means

I have only had these speakers for a short time, but I can honestly say they are one of the best sounding full range floor model speakers I have heard for $2200(new)pr. B&W's were the only other speakers that even come close sound wise,But would definitely leave your wallet screaming a $8000 a pair.

B&W SPEAKERS

[Sep 01, 2002]
Geordy
AudioPhile

Strength:

Three inch aluminum midrange, build quality and the overall presentation and acoustical coherence of this loudspeaker.o

If I had to pick something, it would be the fact that Energy put the ports in the rear and they really should have put them in the front. The rear-porting can make for difficult room placement as far as bass response goes, especially in smaller rooms where the speakers are close to the wall.?

After auditioning new loudspeakers for almost a year, The Energy Veritas 1.8's made it an easy choice for me. Bass is extremely articulate and tight with the dual six and a half inch drivers. The highs are extended and airy with the one inch aluminum tweeter and the mids (oh, those mids), is where this speaker really excels. The three inch aluminum dome midrange has a fantastic power handling and doesn't break up at concert-like levels at all. Voices, stringed instruments, acoustic guitar and pretty much everything with a musical presence came across very lifelike. This speaker will do all kinds of music exceptionally well. It is also a killer home theater speaker, especially where it comes to well recorded classical movie soundtracks. Speakers compared were the PSB stratus gold i, the Paradigm v2 studio 100, The B&W nautilus 803-804, The Dynaudio contour 1.8-3.0, Martin Logan Aeon just to name a few. All of these speakers are pretty great in their own way with the exception of the psb gold i. That speaker was quite a disappointment and does not deserve to be placed in the $2000+up category. It did not have the coherence of the other speakers. In the end, it was that lucious midrange of the Veritas 1.8's that had me sold. It's accuracy is hard to beat. Ô

See above article.

[Apr 19, 2002]
blanchar
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

YOU KNOWWWW!!!!...you get the point..Articulation, intelligibility and life like music detail

Weaknesses? give me a break....

I been holding off purchasing the energy 2.3,2.4 as fronts to alongside my Veritas 2.0C just from a sheer price/performance value. My extensive search ended when I came across the V1.8 (new) at a bargin basement price of $1750/pr (no tax). Of all the speakers I''ve listened to (anything offered by Good Guys, Fry''s, Circuit City,local Hi-fi shops,etc..) nothing comes close. Sometimes legacy is better..The mid and high are to die for w/ great dynamic range. Alongside my Sony 777ES receiver I believe I have the perfect combination for my usage.

Similar Products Used:

None worthy of comparing to the veritas

[Mar 15, 2000]
Tyson
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Reproduces Accurate highs, hand made...built solid

Lack of clarity in the mid/low-low fez., Poor depth, dynamics, price

I owned a pair of v1.8 speakers for about nine months before I was forced to sell them. Yes the tweeter is impressive reproducing accurate highs but with dense low frequency information or when listening to less than top quality recordings or CDs, the bottom end falls flat on it's face. There's not doubt that the mid and low unit on the v1.8 are no where close to the same level of high qualty as the tweeter unit. The depth and dynamics take big hits because of this. Also this creates a problem if you listen to different types of music because the quality level shifts dramatically (depending on the amount of dynamics present in the song). As far as hometheater goes....it doesn't, its not a hometheater speaker and I personally never used it as a hometheater speaker, I strickly used it as a home audio speaker only. The price on the v1.8 is on the high side if you ask me but at the same time I'm not sure I know anyone that has paid full retail for the v1.8's. Yes there are better speakers in the v1.8's full retail price range. I think it would be better suited if it were in the 2,000 to 2,500 price range. I sold mine because the lack of quality over all the different types of music I listen to. I ended up going with a cheaper speaker with good dynamics...the PSB stratus goldi. The goldi retails for 2,600 and I picked it up for 2,200 so maybe nobody pays full retail for a pair of speakers therefore Energy should lower the full retail price to make there speaker more attractable, just a thought.