Energy Speaker Systems Audissey A3+2 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 21, 2008]
karister
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great looking, crisp highs and natural mids with very precise tight bass.

None what-so-ever :)

These are some of the best speakers I had, and sure they sound awesome. I've seen some complains about lack of bass, and for me the bass is tight and more than enough. I love the openness and the great wide full sound stage. They have crisp highs, very clear and natural mids for great vocals. It has a very modern look even though from late 90's. If you can find them in good condition in the used market under 500.00 go for it, as there very very nice speakers.

Similar Products Used:

Infinity Overture 3/ Paradigm 9se MK 2/ Polk Monitor 10A/ Energy Monitor Pro 22 etc

[Jul 26, 2002]
Socrates
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Soundstage is HUGE! Great imaging, better then Def Tech and Mirage. Prodigal bass for the drivers used, fast, tight and deep. Very nice appearance, finish and binding posts.

Takes time to setup correctly and work best in a mid size to small room, loose a bit of bass oomph in large rooms. Also heavy, not a bad thing really, except when moving them!

What an under reviewed speaker! The Audissey series is the best sub $4K bipolar speaker I owned or heard, and I have heard soooo many! The imaging is amazing, just breathtaking detail is revealed with the wonderful tweeter, putting Def Techs with their blurred "wall of sound" to shame, and exhibiting none of the artificial wrap around had with the Mirages. In a small to mid sized room the bass is extraordinarily deep, tight and hard hitting. I had 5 surrounding neighbors complain about the walls shaking in my old apartment complex in a 16'x13' room, yes, six 5.5" speakers can really slam you in the gut with good gear and a smallish room! I have these setup 10 ft apart and the sound stage is HUGE and strong throughout! It even goes to the outside of the speakers when called for in the track and great depth! Very cool to get all of that for this price! Very sad that Energy discontinued the line but if you see them used anywhere grab them, you will be amazed at the performance/$ had, though I rarely seem them listed for sale (unlike its rivals), the owners seem to hang onto them, and rightly so! I had expensive Martin Logans set for the main system, after hearing the Audissey's I never looked back, the ML's overall sounded worse, and at more then 3x the price! Nice job Energy! Associated Gear: Chiro 800 Pre/Pro (very nice!) Parasound HCA1000A MSB Link DAC Pioneer Premier CD Changer as transport DIY Cables and interconnects

Similar Products Used:

Energy C-series, 2004 Def Techs, Mirages, Martin Logan, Paridgm, Von Schweikert, Vienna, Boston, Klipsch (ouch, my ears are bleeding!) and others beyond the price range.....

[Nov 20, 1999]
Gordon Bradshaw
Audio Enthusiast

I was quite impressed when I auditioned the A3+2 Energy speakers even though the location was far from ideal. When I tried them at home in a real listening room I was totally blown away. I could hardly believe the bottom end. Tight and clean. The top end and midrange was all there but without harshness, very smooth. Spatially they are also excellent. They have to be one of the easiest, most enjoyable to listen to speakers out there. Full marks.

[Jan 23, 2000]
Eric
Audio Enthusiast

I have to admit before writing this that I am a "beginner" audiophile in terms of knwoeldge of equipment and level of experience, but I am an avid lover of music and have a deep appreciation for that which sounds good. With that caution....these speakers sound PHENOMENAL.
I auditioned these at Harvey Electronics in NYC, having gone there to listen to a pair of Boston Accoustics. These blew the BAs away, hands down. The Energy's have all the detail of the BAs on the high end, but have a much richer midrange and an extraordinarily full sound with a huge soundstage. Paired with a Makamichi AV-7 receiver and a Marantz CD player I couldn't ask for anything more for a system that ran me under $2K in total. I'd highly receommend these for the sound, and beleive they are as good a value as you'll find in this proice range.

[Feb 01, 2001]
Dave
Casual Listener

Strength:

Clear sounding, smooth transfers.

fabric cover.

I have to say that Im very happy with my 3+2s. I enjoy listening to music now, more than I ever have. For home theater they are even better. Although I only can place them about 12" from the the wall, & not the recommened 15", the bi polar effect seems to still be very clear. All in all I think they are well sounding, not to bright & not at all dull. The base is clear & undistorted, at all volumes. They don't seem to favor any one kind of music. Wether is rock, or classical. The 3+2 have no problem reproducing it. The only weakness is the fabric cover over the towers, with pets & kids I worry on how long til it rips. But other than that. Well well worth the money.

[Sep 26, 2001]
Mike Robinson
Audiophile

Strength:

Good clean sound thats very natural. I'm amazed that I only paid $229 a speaker for these.

The bass is pretty good, but a little weak for home theater or those that like to rattle their fillings out.

I can't stand speakers that are too heavy in the upper midrange. To my ear, this makes the sound seem unnatural and too aggressive. These speakers are very balanced and have excellent imaging. They take a lot of power to run loud and the lower ohm rating may overwork cheaper amps. My Sony receiver will cut out if the volume is over 50%, but this is a fault of the cheap receiver and not the speakers.

I prefer a little bit of rumble when I listen to music, and while these speakers are adequate for normal listening, I felt they needed something more. I picked up the Energy e:XL-S10 powered subwoofer and hooked it up with these speakers and the difference is amazing. The sub blends perfectly with these speakers for increased bass in the lower frequencies. The A3+2's are rated down to 30Hz and the e:XL-S10 extends that down to 25Hz. The e:XL-S12 would probably be a better match though as it goes down to 20Hz and has the gloss black finish that matches the A3+2's, however, I couldn't afford the extra $300+.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Many peope paid $1200 or more for these speakers and at $229 each, they're an absolute steal.

Similar Products Used:

Pioner, Sony, KLH. Also compared to Polk and Boston.

[May 25, 1998]
Green Giant

Well, I've had these speakers for about 10 months now. I'm still impressed. As mentioned below, they do image quite well for Bi-Polars. They work much better in a bigger room though. I have mine about 15 inches off the back walls and angled in just a tad. They are not even close to side walls. Far and away the best bi-polar series of speakers going. They have a very big sound, the tweeters can be just a tad bright, and the bass doesn't go incredibly low, but not bad considering the driver size. Bass remains very tight and punchy though. A very good rock/blues speaker as mentioned below, and for home theater nothing short of excellent. I also have them hooked up to adcom amp/preamp and an NAD cd player. Tara Labs bi-wire really smoothed things out. If you need a all around music/ht speakers these would be very hard to beat. Just for music I would feel they are worth a listen in the 1000 price range. I just hope energy doesn't bastardize the line by going mass merchant with these. Given what I need the speakers to to they are worth 5 stars. In the price range as a music speaker probably more like a 4, but I love them. Check them out, as stated much better than Def-Tech, and I feel a tad better than their sister brand, Mirage.

[May 11, 1998]

The entire Audissey line is not as good as the Connoisseur line. Recently listend the AA 3+2 and A5+2 and Veritas v1.8 in the same room with C6 and Klipsch KLF10, KSG 10.5, KG4.5. The Ax+2s has very muddy sound. The C6 is much better but found the highs too bright and harsh. The Veritas v1.8 is good but compare its $4K price tag to the KLF10, the KLF is a much better value.
Overall, if I have to buy an Energy, I will get either C8 or C6. The Ax+2 line may be good for some HT applications but not at the prices they asked. Two sepakers.

[May 02, 1999]
Nick T.
an Audio Enthusiast

I've owned these speakers for a few months now and have been completely satisfied with their performance. While they are not the most cable dependant speakers I've had proper room placement is a necessity. I've currently got mine in a second system with a Moon Celeste I-5080, Adcom GCD-700, API power pack II and kimber cables and interconnects. I would like to address the unkonwn persons comments that the Connosuer line outshine the Auddiseys. The AA 3+2 throws a much larger soundstage, is more timbrally accurate, has a smoother midrange and cleaner treble response. I'm guessing that they were reviewed in The Good Guys **** audio room. I worked for The Good Guys for a few years and can testify to the rooms terrible harmonics. The speakers are run from spliced zip cord, run through a switching box and thown around with no thought on placement. Any speaker would sound terrible under these circumstances. You obviosly enjoy the bass response of the Klipsch speakers. As is your right, but these aren't designed for heavy metal and rap. The Energys are great with female vocals, ochestral and acoustic musics. I've also used these with a home theater set up with wonderful results. Alas the only reason they've moved to my den was I fell in love with the Hales Transendence fives that I'm currently using in my main system. I do highly recommend these speakers, especially for their modest price. Overall four stars, price as a factor five stars ( I did have to spend nearly $6000 to feel motivated to change)

[Sep 07, 1999]
Will
an Audiophile

The A 3+2's have changed the way I listen to music. These speakers reveal so much detail it's hard to describe. When I listening to my favorite music even though I've heard those familiar tracks a million times I descover something never heard befor everytime I hear them. Let me start with the soundstage of the A 3+2's. It simply fills the room. I have them twenty-four inches off the wall and they are free standing. When placed correctly it would be very hard to find a speaker that performs quite like this one for the price. Right now I'm in transition with my system I have mediocre electronics, excellent speaker cable and interconnects. The A 3+2's are my foundation to an awsome system. The A 3+2's are one of the best speakers I've ever heard and for the price they are the best. Five stars.
A 3+2
JVC (reciever and CD player,their days are numbered)
Z2 Biwire speaker cable