Eltax Liberty 3+ Floorstanding Speakers

Liberty 3+

2 way speaker basreflex

Sremac   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 12, 2012]

First of all, I am quite confused with "Floorstanding" in your title description, because they are of a very "Bookshelf" type. Please do not confuse them with Liberty 5+, higher internal volume model, which are really a floorstanders.

OK, I bought them about a month ago, and every day I like them more and more! They are equipped with Vifa drivers, probably a factory option. I agree with most reviewers that they are the best option in the price range and beyond. Although their RRP in Serbia is above $500 per pair, I somehow bought them for just about $130, two years old, in "mint" state, absolutely as they were brand new. Hearing test showed wonderfull tonal color, deep powerfull bass and very natural mid frequencies reproduction. But, HF driver was audibly quieter, maybe some 3-4 dB, sounding a little bit muddy. Still, I was very pleased with overall impression (driven by Luxman 80W/ch amp) for the price.
Soon I discovered that in the filter section the tweeter was attenuated for 6dB, because there was a 8.2 Ohm resistor in series with the HP section of the filter! Since there are a bi-wiring terminals (attention, the upper pair drives the woofer!!!), I simply bridged the resistor, closed the box and tried with different resistor values connected directly to the terminals. In my opinion, 2.2 Ohm resistor gives the best, most natural, quite linear response. I suppose that this filters are designed for the different kind of speakers, Vifa drivers are matched to each other almost perfectly, no need to attenuate tweeter much!
Driving it with powerfull & still good sounding Yamaha AX-730 amp, they deliver surprisingly detailed, clean and deep sound, achieving loud levels with ease, but also very nice for quiet listening.

Pro: Big sound from small speaker, build quality (particularly vibration-free solid box), price...

Contra: Almost nothing for the price.

Thumb up, Eltax!

pshuttle   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 20, 2002]

I owned a pair of these for over a year and for the money you get one of the most solid cabinets I have ever seen along with an excellent sound for the money. As a first set of starter speakers you would behard pushed to buy better than these. The Eltax''s produce an altogether inviting and clean sound and will match any budget amp admirably. I used my pair with a Cambridge Audio A4 amp for over a year and was very happy with the tight bass they produced and also the nice clean look they added to my hifi setup. I also used them alongside my Marantz PM6010OSE amp but after spending so much on an amp I felt an upgrade in speakers was in order. All in all a fine buy.

Kor Buist   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 09, 2000]

A very good speaker for this price. Open and naturally sound.

Martin Woodall   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 07, 2000]
Strength:

Big Soundstage, Midrange

Sharp treble with Techno, slightly blended sound

For this price it can be hard to find a speaker this good. If your a Crystal method or Cemical Brothers fan stay away(it is harsh with very high treble), otherwise it is a good speaker. The speakers inability to sepparate instruments might annoy Rock fans, though only if you can afford 3x as expensive speakers will you solve the problem. This leaves it ideal for simple classical/blues music. I use it with a NAD C340/C540 combo and it sounds good. It doesn't have the resolution og the Dali Suite 2.5's or the massive scale of the B&W 603's, but at a third of the price who can complain.

Similar Products Used: Dali suite 2.5, b&w 603 s2
DT   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

ALL aspects of sound quality.

Awkward size.

Superb speakers. Deep powerful bass, the deepest I have heard from any speaker including floorstanders!! Clean extended treble. Natural uncoloured mids. Excellent finish: biwirable gold plated terminals, very good drivers, very solid resonance free cabinet. Trounce ALL of the competion. Ensure not too near walls. Needs solid stands.

If your living space can accomodate it, buy with confidence.

Similar Products Used: Tannoy M2, Tannoy M3, Mission 733.
Sealbeater   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 30, 1999]
Strength:

Tightness & sheer Power of Bass, clean, crisp Treble, Respectable mids, and a sound field that is unmatched at the price, look great, outstanding price, good at all genres of music

Excessive depth?

Outstanding!

Similar Products Used: Tannoy Mercury M1's
Phil Mountain   Casual Listener [Jan 22, 2001]
Strength:

Accurate detailed treble, very good bass performance specially on garage and hip-pop

for the price nothing

brilliant budget speaker, very good for bassy tracks, with a high performance amp the treble is amazing

Similar Products Used: tannoy m2
Sergio F. Alves   an Audio Enthusiast [Apr 14, 1999]

Perfect sound, pure as crystal. Way to go Eltax !

Andrzej Stelmach   an Audiophile [Apr 23, 1999]

You cannot say that the speakers are playing - you just hear the sound comming from space (even apart from speakers). Clear trebles and midrange and good pretty deep bas. Liberty 3+ also have good speed. I am listening various music types - from acoustic blues through rock to electronic - all sounds real and full of space. Liberty 3+ are very sensitive in placing - particulary from the side wall. I can recommend them to everyone.

Rich Campbell   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 1999]

I have had the Eltax Liberty 3+ speakers for a while. I replaced my (very) budget bookshelf speakers with these 'not-quite-so-budget, but still cheap'speakers. So far I have been very impressed - the bass is strong and there is a lot of space in the sound. I need my speakers to be able to cope with an extremely eclectic music collection and they have done so very well so far. One point to bear in mind - they are a weird elongated shape - at least 12-13 inches deep.
Overall I have found the sound quite neutral and clear. Good for people on a budget who like as good a sound as they can get for their money.