Dynaudio Gemini DIY kit Floorstanding Speakers

Gemini DIY kit

MTM kit speaker

Daniel   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 02, 2016]

I use these speakers with es9018 dac and gu50/6e5p se tube amp or tripath tk2050 amp. Gemini's are Dennis Murphy alternative crossover equipped (siemens mkv tweeter crossover capacitor). First thing I noticed is holography. Speakers simply disappeared in my room. I use them in very small room 7m2, standing near the walls on the desk. I thought it is not possible in such small environment. They can take into recording, like in front of You was recording studio. Esotec D260 and 15W75's does their job really well. I know there are better speakers all around, but in this price used(about 350$ with alternate crossover) there are no competitors.

toomushstuff   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 23, 2009]

I have purchased speakers and crossovers to build a MTM version of dynaudio gemini speakers. Problem is the sechmatic they sent and the crossover do not match and I am working through the schmatic and board to see see which is correct. So far, all I get is tweeter sound, no woofer.

I was interested in reading the review of the audiofile who bi-amp these speakers using a sony TA-N9000ES. I just happened to have picked up this amp and would welcome the opportunity for someone to share how you would build the crossovers designs.

Many thanks,
Jim (toomuchstuff)

jcadwell   AudioPhile [Jul 21, 2003]
Strength:

Soundstage, dynmaics, detail.

I run mine with a subwoofer, probably recommended.

This is just an update to a previous review. I have the Geminis, cabinets filled with a quart of Acoustic Magic each, internally wired with Monster Cable. I just purchased on the used market a Sony TAN 9000 5 channel amp. I use it in a bi-amp mode now with 2 channels on each side driving the mids and tweeters separately (get a y connector from Best buy for 5 bucks each) the 5th channel driving the center channel. I was using an Anthem Integrated 2 amp using just the power amp section driven by my Kenwood VR4090 receiver. The addition of the bi-amping is just remarkable. Soundstage is now HUGE with width and DEPTH like never before. Dynamics are STARTLING. Anybody who has these speakers with the Gemini Done Right crossovers should check them out with bi-amping. All you need are two identical stereo amps or the Sony TAN 9000 ES amp. I bought mine used for $425 and can't believe the improvement. This is truly a hot set up. I have owned these speakers now for over ten years and have never had the urge to upgrade. I am not sure what would be an upgrade from these.

Similar Products Used: Apogee Duetta Signatures (these Geminis blow them away)
Bob Powers   Audiophile [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Great imaging and large soundstage. Exceptional bass for a smaller two-way.

They like power so an amp with muscle is in order.

I received the kit from Madisound and was very impressed with the drivers as well as the cabinets. However the kit is supplied with zip cord for the connections and the binding post were on the cheap side. So I ordered cardas chasis wire and music post, binding posts. I never heard the speakers with original wire and binding post. Anyway my first impression was very good they imaged well right from the start and the bass was great. At first they were a bit dry and listening for long periods became somewhat tiring. But after they broke in what sure joy I found in listening to my system again. Every change you make to your system can be heard from these babies. I would recomend them to anyone. The cardas wire and binding post were ordered from Michael Percy Audio in California.

Willy   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 04, 2000]
Strength:

Great Vocal, Dynamic, Warm.Affordable

No spikes

'm still thinking that they're kidding w/ selling at this price. Sounds really good..especially the VOCAL ! works ok w/ small amp.....but sounds aweeesooommee w/ big amp....
try to use medium amp like classe ca-201....sounds really good...

this speaker is comparable to any other 'high-end' speaker....believe me....if i cover my eyes, i would think this is at least 4k speaker.

Bill Gillis   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 17, 2000]
Strength:

Soundstage, overall value, quite revealing

Original kit crossover leaves something to be desired, especially after you experience what I'm going to tell you about below...

So, I'm back again, really adding bias to the Gemini review. But hey, these little gems are worth it. Here's why...

I just finished the BESL Gemini Done Right External Crossover Kit a few days ago, and wow.

Let me say that again.

WOW! I'm amazed.

I didn't think these monitors could be improved. After a full weekend of intense listening and a half dozen movies (hey, even I deserve to totally relax now and then) these units have really come to life. Not a single complaint from me - Philip - you done good.

If you have Gemini's and like them, you can't go wrong with this upgrade. If you don't like them, this might be what you're after. The price is very reasonable, especially if you build your own cabinets and assemble the very well designed kit. The instructions are nearly flawless and anybody can manage these in 15-20 hours (I think I did it in about 12 including cabinets, but I have all the tools and am quite experienced at electronics and woodworking). I opted for the Speakon connectors and bi-wire option (using some DIY cables from an article at Hi-Fi Heaven between amp and xovers). The kit includes quality wire for use between the drivers and Speakon connector on the cabinet. You have to make a small adapter plate - no big deal - about 20 minutes on the band saw, drill half a dozen holes, and paint black. I made crossover cabinets that now act as the base of my speaker stands, thereby eliminating any added "clutter" that some (my wife) may find distracting with the external enclosure design (somewhat large - about 9" x 12" x 4" - but they look pretty cool)

Since sound is not a tangible that can be drawn into words, I won't even try. Just do yourself a favor. Build the BESL XO's and smile knowing you own some of the best sounding speakers at any price, seriously.

Current setup is as listed previously, but I have added a Sunfire True Sub Jr. for video use...and sometimes audio. I've also cleaned up my cabling (mostly DIY cables) and am using a power conditioner - all changes done a few months ago prior to the x-over and bi-wire upgrade.

Just my two cents, I have no affiliation to BESL, just one happy camper. Insert usual disclaimers here...enjoy if you can.

Freaky Dave   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 13, 2000]
Strength:

Value, value, value

Terminals not clearly marked. Not a whole lot of choice in cabinet (Any color as long as it's black or honey oak).

I had my eye on these for well over a year. I couldn't audition them, so I never bought them. Then madisound said Dynaudio discontinued raw drivers, so I figured I'd take a chance while I could. If they were bad, I'd pawn them.

For under $1100, I was blown away. After breaking them in, I have to say they sound as good as Thiel and B@W speakers at well over twice the price. They don't cause fatigue and their imaging and overall sound quality is very impressive. I really do love these speakers. You can get better, but for nowhere near $1100.
I don't run these speakers full range. Some may say they have bass, lets be realistic, its a 5 inch woofer. As I have a separate sub and a Marchand XM9 Deluxe x-over, I use only a small 60W Adcom and that is plenty. I think a reasonable sized tube amp would really make a nice setup as I don't think Adcom is all that great.

Bad part is the drivers had no +/- designation so some experimentation was needed. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd buy the BESL Series 3 kit which is very similiar but with a better cabinet and internal x-over.

Overall I recommend these to everyone I know. Get them while you still can. I wish I could give 8 stars for value.

Similar Products Used: B&W, Infinity, Polk, Thiel
David K M   Audiophile [Mar 23, 2000]
Strength:

Best value for under $4,000.00

None

These speakers produce whatever type of music you put in them perfect. Great sound stage, If the producer made a mistake on the recording these speakers will tell. They can't tell a lie. If your electronics can't produce some sounds these speakers will tell you. If you want great speakers listen to these and do yourself a favour and buy this kit while it's still available Dynaudio says they will no longer supply the Kit market after 12/31/99. So ounce the inventories are gone this great value will be removed from future audiophiles. I believe that is the only down side.

Similar Products Used: Many that say they are but only fakes, and pretenders they can't touch this product.
Walter T.   Audiophile [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

bass reproduction, clearity

som resonances in higher middle, especially by the voice of rebecca pidgeon :-)

I´m listening to this speakers since the year 1991 (!) and I´m very impressed of this speakers. So I don´t have the permission to by any ohter Speaker to get a better sound impression.
In the last year, I changend the components of the crossover to the best coils and capacitors, available today and build the crossover outside of the speaker cabinet. The sondquality increased from the deep bass to the highest in a incredible way. I don´t want to miss this new crossover any further. So the quality of this speakers rises up to systems in the highest priceclasses of compact speakers.

Similar Products Used: Scan Speak Monitor "Studio 24"
Jesse S.   an Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 1998]

These are kit speakers; you can order the enclosures for an additional $200, or build your own if you have access to a table saw. I've had these for a few weeks now, and they're just starting to break in. The longer I listen to them, the more I like them. They are very natural, laid back speakers; they use a textile dome tweeter, so if you're looking for that sizzly metal-dome sound, these are not for you. If you've got a small room with bare walls, this is actually a good thing; it minimizes high frequency reflections. Also, since they only have 5" woofers (two per enclosure, one above and below the tweeter) they aren't exactly a great rock speaker. Since I like the loud obnoxious stuff, I've paired these with an ACI Titan powered sub, and the bass is just fine now. OK, so much for what they don't do.
What they have in aces is a great sound stage. With sizzly speakers, you can definitely tell the music is coming from a point source, and sizzly speakers have a pretty small sweet spot; you don't get that from these guys. My own perception of what happens with these speakers is that since they don't over-emphasize the high-end frequencies, they don't over-emphasize the positional information coming from the tweeters; the sound is very smooth and natural; if you close your eyes, the speaker tends to just disappear. They have a nice large sweet-spot, and are also very non-fatiguing at higher volumes with no harshness at all.

Technically the woofers are kind of interesting; the cones are 4 1/2", but the voice coil is 3" and it's paired with a large magnet (each driver weighs over 2 lbs), so you don't get any weird resonances from the cones. Also they are very quick speakers; make sure to use a suitably quick sub with these guys; cheap HT subs can't keep up. These guys require a long break-in period; they have poly cones with a tough rubber surround. They sound like hell at first, but after a few weeks of exercise, the surrounds and the spiders start to loosen up and they really start to perform.

I'm listening to them on a shitty Sony amp, but I've got a Van Alstine hybrid tube/MOSFET amp and preamp coming next week ( the amps are on the web at http://www.avahifi.com ). Once I get them hooked up, I'll post a review of the amp here as well.

I'm giving the Geminis a 4; they need a sub, and they could use a little more top-end. But I think they are well worth a grand. Easily.