Dynalab Audio Technologies SDA 2.8 Floorstanding Speakers

Dynalab Audio Technologies SDA 2.8 Floorstanding Speakers

DESCRIPTION

Duel 8" Floor-standing 2-way Tower Speaker Utilizing a 4th Order Butterworth Ported Design - 15 Watts RMS Amp Power, 200 Watts Music Power, 8 ohms, 91B 1W/1M, 100dB, 39-22,000 Hz (+-3dB), 12/6 dB per octave, 4,000 Hz crossover, 2-8" " High Modulus" Bi-Lamented Cone Butyl Rubber Surround, 1 1/2" Dia. High-temp Voice Coil, 24 oz. High Strength Ceramic Magnet, 13mm Titanium Coated Dome Computer Opt. Phase Dispersion Ring Tweeter, all in a wood black veneered finished ported cabinet.

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 03, 2018]
Diane
Audio Enthusiast

I've got the same white van story, paid $300. for the pair. I opened the boxes and did a quick inspection, and they looked solid. Mind you, I have no expertise in audio equipment what-so-ever! I do, however, know what decent speakers sound like! I never bothered to look them up until now, although I have never heard of Dynalab. Well, here it is, 16 years later, and these bad boys still rock! I like my music loud, crisp, and clear, and I have not been disappointed by these speakers. My receivers have varied from Techniques to old school Sansui, and I never have had an amp hooked up, and they haven't let me down. If I had to do it again, I would buy 2 pairs. I love them. Thanks white van scammed dudes!

[Sep 15, 2012]
Darren
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my dynalabs from the back of a van as all have metioned on this site, i was a little skeptical but they looked the real deal so i took a chance and paid 600 au for the 2.8 series. These speakers kick arse and i forgot to mention i bought them in 2000, yep 12 years old and still going strong. I was cranking them last night and i think the tweeter in 1 might be blown but i cant complain, ive been using an onkyo amp the same age and its been a great match, they both can handle the loud stuff with great bass and the tweeter brings a good pitch.

Does anyone know where i can get some legit parts for dynalab from, i want to see if i can get a new tweeter.

[Apr 05, 2011]
crankitup
Audio Enthusiast

I have had these speakers for years now and they just flat out crank. Nice full deep bass, nice high range. Lacks a bit maybe in the midrange but they never distort on me no matter how high I crank em. I think the problem some are having is possibly a gross mis-match in receiver/amplifier and the speaker itself.
I also have JBL's, Marantz (with hugh woofers), Infinity's, and a very expensive pair of Polk's with built in sub-woofers. The Dynlab's I got just plain rock my weight room. This is not a BS story, they are excellent sounding speakers and can handle the punch. I must have got the good ones........."turn it up"!!!!

[Mar 02, 2011]
Leader
Audio Enthusiast

Thanks to the many recent white van reviews I practically stole a pair of authentic dynalabs on eaby for well under $40 for the pair and tested them with a fairly descent high end 6.2 Kenwood VR6060 theater reciever. These dynalabs rock and bump hard with solid full bass. No subwoofer is needed with these Dynalabs! Plus I still have two Kenwoods 1050SW sigma series 10" subs that I set aside just in case I want to hook up 6.2 SB rear subwoofers in my theater. I did a side by side to comparison test with Boston Acoustics CR95 that I have in the same size and weight cabinets. Both were equal in sound quality and cant tell which ones are better. I seperated 10 feet apart boston on one side and dynalab on the other in mono facing each other like head phones and sat in between to preform my final comparison testing 100w RMS. The Dynalabs have a little bit more bass because the vent is in the front and bostons vents are in the back. I think the tweets are equal as they sound the same for clarity without any shrill and just right but I am going to give bostons the lead on tweeters as they do sound a little bit better to cover the high range but keeping in mind the strong bass in dynalabs could be whats slightly overpowering the highs. Now I read the reviews before I bought the dynalabs so off the bat I expected to get them only for the cabinets to build my den system with. These were not even close to what people described as they were very heavy and grilles were much better in quality than expected. The cabinet wall thickness is 3/4 inch thick as you would expect to find in a descent quality cabinet. So before testing I opened them up because I read what people were finding in the white van counterfits. I found both woofers were identical with very large 20 ounce magnets so I knew these are very descent quality woofers!
I built my own infinity reference series 850w subwoofers boxes 2 for my truck with 2 extra Rockford punch subs p1s48 in my rear doors with 6 infinity kappa series 2 way all powered by alpine with 6 rockford 1 farad capacitors to save the battery and give my unit maximum punch. I use to custom install car stereos and install systems in private jets to exceed ISO 9001 specs . Before that I worked for Huges Aircraft building F18 radars systems and missles so I have Mil, Nasa and weapons spec certifications for electronic connections. In other words nobody is better than me with electronic connections. Now you know the level of whos giving this review! The magnets on these dynalabs woofers are the same size as the rockford fosgate 8 inch subwoofers I have 20 oz. The tweeter looks like 10 ounce. The crossover is quality on a circut board with two coils and the large white resistors are mil spec grade 5w ceramic with capcitor. The white van reviews say the tweeter crossover is nothing but a loose capacitor to the tweeter and no circut board. So this tells me I have the real authentic $1300 dynalabs SBA 2.8.
I have seen the insides of many quality 200w floor standing speakers so I know magnet size is not a factor for example technics sb2800 series 8 inch woofer has a dinky 5 ounce magnet but still sounds amazing with very deep bass and can handle 200w peak which is puzzling but true. Kenwood sigma series 10" subwoofers use 10 ounce magnets. So what I am saying these dynalabs woofers not oly sound great but look like they will handle a 200w peak. I figure from my tests and inspections I have the real dynalabs, So I figured it would be very helpful for those people buying from ebay to have a recent review with a authentic pair of tested and fully inspected Dynalabs. Your looking for 3/4' cabinet walls that can be measured from the back. The grille should appear to be descent quality and if possible look in the vent for a black 1 inch thick padding glued to the back. All inside inspections to be done with the bottom woofer removed only. Do not remove the crossover or anything else to inspect it. If possible use a camera with flash to see what you got. I did not want to risk damaging my receiver with possible fakes so thats why I inspected before testing. Also remember that counterfits were made after the real dynalabs were made so look beyond the white van reviews for reviews about authentic dynalabs SBA 2.8

[Jan 13, 2011]
christen gordon
Casual Listener

i just stumbled on to this site. and what can i say.. obviously i was approached by the same people in the van. 600 dollars. obviously payed to much. and there not what i thought they were. But hey, they have lasted 10 years. Yes the sound quality does vary, some times good some times bad, depending on what sort of amp or sound source used. At the end of the day, there not to bad really. You could pay a lot more for a mini system or some other speakers, that wouldnt necissarily be anu better.

[Sep 08, 2010]
ddogowar
Audio Enthusiast

I received these speakers as a gift from a friend, and unlike most other people here, I love them. I have to believe that everybody buying speakers from people on the street just haven't figured out some of life's little lessons yet. WHY would you buy speakers from a stranger on the street?! There are obviously a lot of stupid people still running around I guess. These speakers, (the ones I have), kick ass pretty good! I have used them with different amps and in different settings and I have cranked them up as loud as they will take it. (pretty loud) No problems at all. It's quite obvious that there are some FAKES out there......apparently LOTS OF FAKES with LOTS of STUPID PEOPLE BUYING THE FAKES. They are no match for my 901's, but they thump pretty hard. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the guys in the white dynalab van, hahahhaha!!! Then I'll roll 'em up and call the cops on the theives for you idiots that buy speakers from people on the street.

[Feb 22, 2010]
KGprince
AudioPhile

I had these speakers for over two years, and I'm not going to to you, at first listen they sound pretty decent. I bought them from a guy online for $40 for the pair. After doing a little research, I found their little nick name, amp killers. That's right, scams and rip offs aside these speakers can actually damage the equipment you have them attached to. Most receivers function in the eight ohm range, some can be switched to six and some, (like the older one I had mine originally hooked up to) can go lower, around four ohms. These speakers are labeled at eight ohms, but don't let them fool you. any speaker will fluctuate around the labeled ohm rating, dipping a little lower or higher, which is not an issue. However, the Dynalab SDA 2.8 speakers can dip down into the two ohm range. For those of you who are completely lost, thats like trying to push a gallon of fluid through a straw very rapidly. The speakers will handle the power (even though they ARE made of cheap parts), no one can deny that, but your amplifier will not handle this power spike. Unfortunately, the victims of these scams see the ohm rating and unknowingly put their receivers in danger. With all the reviews I have read stating the model of their high end receivers I cringe at the thought of these "amp killers" taking another victim. If you do not believe me, do a little research for yourself. Do yourself and your amp a favor, and look for another set of towers. I would recommend looking into Yamaha's lines if you like high power clarity, but make sure your receiver can function on six ohms (its a little quirk of Yamaha's) .

[Sep 17, 2009]
Jim
Audio Enthusiast

I reviewed these for a friend - they sound like those cheap bass boxes you get from off brand car audio shops, but with a couple of tweeters tacked on. They don't even have soundproofing in the cabinet to help with the bass, making it mushy and awful.

These are worth about £50 at the most. If you like music loud and don't care for quality, they'd be alright at this price, but they're inefficient so you'll need a massive amp to drive them.

To the people comparing them to Bose - is this a joke or are they fake reviews? Bose are a joke in the home hifi market - the only good stuff they make is pro-audio for clubs and concerts. Dynalab is nothing like this. Remember - these sound like £50 speakers. Nothing at bargain audio shops like Richer Sounds is as bad as this. Nothing.

[Aug 13, 2009]
Chris B
Audio Enthusiast

I got stopped by the dudes in a white van claiming they had CLUB speakers that they ordered to much of, told me how great they were and regular price of 1200, mine for $800. I wanted speakers for my new home kenwood receiver high end in 1998. So, I offered them $300.00. they took it acting like I stiffed them.
I kept reading comments over the years on how crappy the Dynalab 2.8 are. I have had them for 11 yrs now, they look like hell (I'ive moved 5 times since then), but they have lasted longer then my Kenwood receiver, Harmon Kardon Receiver and they are now on my HK 100 watt stereo (not a/v) They still sound great to me, never farting, I have had it cranked almost all the way. I keep thinking to myself, "if people think these are crap. what are $1,000.00- $1,500.00 Klipsch, Bose or JBL's gonna sound like". I keep wanting to get GOOD, QUALITY speakers but every time, i think mine are good enough and buy something else, like my $250.00 sennheiser headphones. Did I get lucky, or are Quality speakers, really that good?I don't get it. You don't know how many times people have called them Bose at party's. swearing they are stereo nuts and these speakers are Bose. HA-HA

[Jul 24, 2009]
dakatabg
Audio Enthusiast

I bought those speakers from a pawn shop for exactly $22 in Chicago! I got a great deal! I really liked the speakers! I used them for a month and something but than I found out they are the white van scum! The speakers are not bad and they look very nice! They sound good just not enough bass! I sold them after I found out they are the white van because I like to have only good brands! Otherwise nice speakers!