Definitive Technology BP 3000TL Floorstanding Speakers

BiPolar - 18" Woofer, (4)6.5" Mids and (2)1" Tweeters

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 03, 2019]
fredo_tech

Strength:

One the best speaker I have bought sounds amazing

Need lot of clean power to appreciate what this speaker

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2001
[Dec 31, 2014]
Char Lee S
Audio Enthusiast

12/29/14, Thursday 8:00 am - Las Vegas/Henderson NV.
All the good comments from the other reviews are true. I purchased these huge tower 155 lb per speaker and plugged them into my Pioneer Elite receiver... BOOM!!! I was blown away! The clarity of the high frequency, the enveloping sound of the base low frequency and the vocals from the midrange are all balanced put together produces life like performance in my living room... they are incredible!

Just to let you know, that I had the best deal than anyone else. It made my year 2014 ends with a big bang! I paid $25 (twenty-five dollars!!!) for the pair :) :) :) from a gentleman, not in a Santa Claus costume.

[Dec 25, 2003]
itaibachar
Audio Enthusiast

heard these behemoths at a dealer, and was amazed by their soundstage!!! they were driven by aragon pre and amp, and the sound was silky smooth, pure enjoyment. corresponding center didnt live up to these towers though.

[Aug 10, 2003]
captainbipto
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

If you’re into relentless bass, razor sharp highs, concert sound pressure levels, a three dimensional soundstage and pissing off snobby audiophiles these speakers are for you.

If one tips over on your cat he would have just used all nine of his lives.

I absolutely love these speakers. They are elegant, detailed and play clean at high volumes. They major key in revealing their true potential is placement and power. They love power. I am pumping a 1000w of Krell into each of them and they never falter. I purchased them based upon my musical tastes. They are very durable and have extreme bass capabilities, perfect for metal/rock/industrial. In regards to zeus2111's comments about these speakers and other reviewers; maybe he would need to invest in a nice pair of hearing aids after listening to them they way I have them set up. Maybe he should try adjusting the sub amplifier knob on the back and not raising his nose so far in the air. I find that resentment and loathing for people who think they have a grasp on the finer things in life is a healthy thing that promotes integrity and character.

To snobby to list

[Mar 05, 2003]
Kim Mackey
AudioPhile

Strength:

Neutral sounding speakers, deep, tight, clear bass with crystal highs and liquid midrange.

With bi-polar in general, you need to pay attention to setup, etc.

These speakers are incredible, the bass is tight, deep and low, the highs are crystal clear, and last but not least, I've never heard better midrange from similar priced high end speakers. I have compared them with speakers cost 2x more such as the B&W 802 and still prefer the definitive technology 3000tl. Incidently, I found these speakers sound much better with music than HT, I found the HT sound harsh via the Denon 5800 Receiver. With music, they are feed through a Mac pre-amp and Krell power amp and the sound was wonderful.

Dyna audio, B&W 802, Martin Logan etc

[Mar 02, 2003]
Peabo
AudioPhile

Strength:

Can I say, my favorite time of the day is the two hours I do nothing else besides listen to music in stereo mode. Falwless.

Must hook up correctly to get the maximum performance out of these fine speakers; as is the case with all high end audio.

Absolutely superb soundstaging, smooth transitions, and full, rich and dynamic, airy feel to the music. Where these speakers really excel, is in home theater; absolutely the best.

Sunfire, Martin Logan, B&W

[Jun 18, 2002]
Shane D
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

BAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

REALLY F*@KING HEAVY

Enjoyed Vandersteen 3A's. They just didn't do it in the room. 30*13. Purchased a pair of 3000tl. the BASS just blew me away, not to mention the the hair off my cat.

[Nov 19, 2000]
Chris McQuay
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

nice looking,big,shiny,good mids,bipolar sound

Weak bass for an 18" 1000 watt sub,highs a bit harsh

To be honest,these speakers are a remarkable achievement,a powerful speaker/sub combo in one box, but not a remarkable speaker. The combo seems to compromise the sound, and tower/sep.sub combos such as paradigm studio 80 and energy exl-18 would be cheaper and much more satisfying, the def's go for 4500 us, and the paradigm's go for about 1450 us plus 1600 for the energy, or if you really wannna get nasty,you could get two energy 18's and the studio 80's for about the same price as the 3000's, and the comparison would be futile! But, if you ar looking for a speaker that negates the use of floor subs,and are decor friendly,impressive to look at,give them a demo,not all bad.
Needless to say,I took them back, and now I know better.

m&k,paradigm,totem,tannoy,energy,pro-ac

[Jan 07, 2001]
Georges
Audiophile

Strength:

Will play at very high volumes with no stress(the speakers not your ears),good build quality.Great for HT,ok on music.

The high frequency reproduction is a bit harsh,the sub is slow.

The Definitive Tech. 3000 are great speakers if you are into HT.They play at high volumes with no stress,will dig low and hit hard.

As far as music goes its a far from audio nirvana.Those who give these 5/5 never compared this to the likes of Monitor Audio GR60's or Contour 3.3 Dynes lets not even talk about Wilsons.

I have a real High End setup at home and I did compare these brutes to my current speakers(Dynaudio 3.3).On film the Definitive are more impressive,due to the low energy of the 18" dinosaur side sub.

When you switch to music like jazz,clasical,acoustic or any other genre with finesse and real detail you seethe Def Tech is a ghetto blaster in nature.

The highs are agressive,this translates what most point out as detail.Its not detail.

The midrange and upper bass are quite clean and sound good.

The bass(sub) if set well will not overpower but is a bit slow.

The Definitive are worth 5/5 as HT units,3/5 for music and for the audiophile are simply not recomended.

I advise anyone with deeper pockets to lend his ears and listen to these Dynaudio Contour 3.3,Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60(I did listen at the store)and who can forget the Wilson WATT/PUPPY.The Wilsons are very expensive but will give you THE benchmark in neutrality, imaging, definition and punch(slam).

Similar Products Used:

Dynaudio Contour 3.3,Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60,Paradigm Studio 100,Wilson WATT/PUPPY5,too many to name

[Nov 24, 1999]
Rob Maatman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent low Bass
Clear mids and highs

The speaker weighs a ton, hard to move with one person.

I have used the BP3000's for 4 months now and have had no buyer regret. They are ample in handling anything I can throw at them. They are sometimes overpowering on the Bass, so these speakers are a must for Bass lovers. I can't even handle the Bass when set beyond the half way point. My listening area is about 20x32 feet. I have the speakers set up with a Lexicon DC-2, Sunfire Theater Grand Amp.

Acoustic Research