DCM KX-12 Floorstanding Speakers

KX-12

Transmission line design - (2)12" Woofers, 6" Mid and 0.75" Tweeter

dwayne ballew   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 05, 2018]

i bought the DCM KX12 in 2000 from circuit city cheap compared to the price for alot of the speakers out there.and i absolutely love them they are crystal clear and they can handle all kinds of base i had another set of 10 inch Dcm and a ground pounding sub and the law would show up quiet often i had neighbors who live a 1/4 mile away who called the law every time i would turn it up to about 65 to 70 out of 90.one year on 4th of july i had been listening to kid rock jackson mississippi and black bob and i went into bedroom and i barely heard phone ring and anwserd and it said this is the local 911 there is an officer at your door and he has been there for 25 minuets and no one can here him knocking. so i had to cut the sound down.i later sold the sub and the 10 because the dcm kx12 are still loud enough to get the law called on you alot.but they are big if you live in small apartment which i dont.but finally after 15 years i need to buy new crossovers.but i would buy these speakers over any out there because i know what they sound like and i love the sound .i have a set of jbl and a set of bose that are fantastic but the dcm are awesome

Dylon   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 17, 2017]

Their original MSRP? Value: 3 stars. But nowadays you can find them for DIRT CHEAP used for about $50. Value: 5 stars.

I am basing the rating off price to performance ratio. These were marketed and sold as loudspeakers, not audiophile home theater speakers, so I will review them as such.

Wow. Just, wow. These paired with a strong 2.0 amplifier just absolutely knock the socks off of you. In a very literal sense, these actually hurt to listen too up close when they are cranked, while still remaining crystal clear. The bass is excessive when using for casual listening at low volumes (which can be solved by stuffing the ports with towels), but when cranked, the EQ/crossover is *just* right. These are absolute party monsters, and I have thrown many parties with them, only to get compliment after compliment on them. They're even sufficient for outdoor parties. Oh, and they are pretty much indestructible. Rock solid speakers.

If you just want to rock out and annoy neighbors, these are for you. If you're looking for *quality* audio for lower listening volumes, these are not for you.

Jason Tice   AudioPhile [Oct 27, 2016]

I've been in the industry for a long time... I have also built probably hundreds of test enclosures...
.. i'll let you guys in on a little secret with the KX 12's...It's sort of a hybrid, if they meant it to be or not...
.. If you look internally, there are two large diameter and length REAR ports...That tunes the enclosure obviously, but there is also an internal divider (or stiffener, depending on the mfg intention of this panel)...
.. ANYHOW, what this panel is, is basically a panel which forces the enclosure also act as a transmission line on top of being ported...... The pressure wave from the rear of the woofer has to travel around the divider, before the ports even see any pressure wave...
do yourselves a favor, and study radiation resistance, enclosure tuning, and more importantly, quarter wave cancellations... It'll show you why you can take a $40 import POS woofer, and blow away any comparable product...heck, the driver they use for a mid is quite a little driver in it;'s own respect..
.. negative reviews from this product are probably from other mfg.s, or dealers pushing other products, because if they're honest, they'd b praising the volume capabilities and bone crushing bass this ENCLOSURE can produce... get one of my HEMPO 12" woofers, and put in there!! hempopotamus loudspeakers.com sales pitch- you bet, but it WORKS!!!

richard James   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 15, 2016]

I would like to say that most people have lied ! Almost everyone love these speakers you got a guy who said he turned his receiver all the way up to 10 ! unbelievable !? The bottom of the line receiver may make a 200-300w speaker sound distorted ........I am a dj and I have worked with receivers all my life and receiver wattage doesnt always be measured correctly.Because I have a Technics SA-303 and ADC Sound Shaper SS-450x EQ and a Technic SL QD3 turntable ,Technic Tape deck and a Apple 160gb Ipod with 34,000 Songs And They are hooked up to The DCM KX-12's And Some Sony Bookshelf And I swear That SA-303 will take on any Receiver out there!!!! But I gotta have the EQ or She cant hang........With the Sound shaper EQ you can barely go to 3 on the volume knob.........OMG The hook up I got is so Incredible and you may have to Tweak the EQ to your liking just a little ......But I was in Virginia Beach,VA and My Brother took me to a Pawn Shop and I believe $80 or $80 each and the Speakers was kind of heavy but they fitted in my car and when I got home to Jersey and I hooked only 0ne up to date and that one Rocks the house no B.S.......And I want some Cerwin Vegas so bad and maybe it 's just the color and the build but I just seen another pair of DCM's for $150 bucks Hell with them Cerwin Vegas......DCM's will ROCK YOUR MUTHA F-ING HOUSE !!!!!! tHE bASS IS INCREDIBLE! gO TO EBAY AND GET YOU A PAIR YOU WONT REGRET IT !!!!! i PROMISE

Jimbolina1   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 02, 2015]

I have had my DCM kx12's for years. I have 4 with the matching center channel speaker. Currently matched with a pioneer vsx-01thx and RSL speedwoofer10. Also two sony mb 150h for sb channels. Music, movies, or games the sound is just jaw dropping.
These speaker can be found dirt cheap now and I do not hesitate in telling you to pick up a pair in good condition. Crossover and speakers are top notch, but cabinet is this speakers drawback.
venier covered partical board. So look for water damage and seperated glue joints on any you are looking at.
Only other draw back for some would be size. They will take up some space.
The posotives far outway the negitives though.
The many years of reliable quality sound through three differant amps and four houses has proved to me that these are indeed great speakers.

Michael Underwood   Audio Enthusiast [May 29, 2014]

I purchased the kx-12s in the fall of 98'. I hooked them up, and was very impressed with the sound for the price I paid (less than 200 from Circuit City) brand new. In the year 2000, I left home, but could not take the speakers with me. I did not have the room for them nor the system, but I craved, and missed them every day. These speakers sat unplugged and unused for 14yrs., Untill I was finally able to get them and ad them to a new ht system. I dusted them off, plugged them up, and said a prayer. After all those years of non use, they looked and played like they were brand spanking new! I can personally attest to the build quality and the materials used for these speakers.

Dean   AudioPhile [Jan 15, 2012]

MY FRIEND GAVE ME A PAIR OF THE DCM KX10"S THE SOUND IS UNBELIEVABLE !!! I RUN A GREAT OLD SCHOOL SHERWOOD WITH A TEAC EQ. SPECTRUM ANYLYSER, I HAVE A SET OF BOSE 901"S AND I HONESTLY CAN SAY THE KX10"S BLOW THE BOSE AWAY POINT BLANK. I ALWAYS THOUGHT BOSE WERE THE BEST. KX10"S HAVE PROVED THAT DIFFERENT... I NOW RUN THE 901"S REAR SPREAKERS.

baron Mcdonagh   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 12, 2011]

THESE SPEAKERS ARE BADASS NO SUB NEEDED NO I USE THEM AS LEFT AND RIGHT.... IL PROB KEEP THESE FOREVER BOUGHT THEM FOR 50 BUCKS THEY WERE STORED FOR 5 YEARS.... LOVE EM. BRING YOUR BOSE!!!

patrick   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 28, 2010]

I have had a set a set of the DCm KX-12 and it preformed amazingly untill we had the smart idea to strip out of the box and put them in a custom box and put them behind my seats in my truck. from that point on i was addicted to bass. dont strip them out of the box just causes problems worked perfectly for awhile and was loud as heck my principle from my school even commented on it when i was driving in the parking lot. great sound quality untill u try to put to many watts through it. great sound system together but subs by self suck but would highly recommend this product

TT Lover   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 13, 2009]

First off, I read at least fifty reviews on these speakers, here and elsewhere. It's been thirty years since I was in college and I've been into high-end, but affordable, stereo since 1974. I've learned a whole lot about
audio since then and bought and sold a LOT of equipment.

I came across a pair of these DCM KX-12s at a local pawn shop. I recently had the left channel of my Adcom GFA-585 power amp develop a problem. After Internet research, I found it was common and didn't want to spend $280. plus shipping both ways to get it fixed. I'd only spent $149 TOTAL for it, the matching pre-amp and power conditioner. So, I listed it on eBay as-is and sold it for $149.95. Once the replacement amp, a Kenwood KM-X1000 arrived and I hooked it up, I found no bass from the left speaker. WTF? I took the cover off and saw the woofer jammed all the way back! It turns out the amp killed it. Sort of a murder/suicide, I guess. An autopsy revealed the voice coil had overheated and bubbled, causing the jam.

SO, I was trying to decide to replace both woofers with some Dayton 15" ones or buy something else. THUS, my trip to the pawn shop.

They had them marked down to $149 and based on the dust, they'd been there a while. I remarked on this to the pawn salesman. He said, "How's $115 sound?" So, after listening to them and assuring all six drivers were working, I bought them. They DON"T weigh 90 pounds like someone said, but they are heavy.

Hooked them up to my system and zeroed the equalizer. Just toed them in a little, then began some initial
equalization and critical listening.

Despite some reviewer's comments, they have a great sound stage. I have a LED power meter and with it displaying between 0.04 and 0.11 watts, it is a very comfortable level. About where my Optimus Pro 4000 speakers (which are 92 dB sensitive @ 1 watt) would be around 1.0 watts. Read those numbers again. Basically, they are at least twice as sensitive as the Pro 4000s are. I can believe the 99 dB I've read.

Being that I've gone from a 250 WPC amp to 130 WPC, I was looking for more sensitive speakers and I've found them!
How, what to do with the gorgeous walnut Optimus Pro 4000 speakers, less one woofer? Part them out?
They are too heavy to ship, but the walnut veneer is so pretty...........