DCM KX-10 Series 2 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[May 05, 2015]
edward josephs
Casual Listener

i went into a mom and pop audio store in Macomb il. while attending college and purchased a pair ofDCM KX10 tower speakers. To this day one of the best purchases i'v done to this day. I still have the speakers and they still sound great. i have not had a repair issue on either of the speakers in 17 years. I have a amplified sub with the two and i am still in love with the clarity of the DCM's. .

[Nov 27, 2014]
andy
Audio Enthusiast

I helped my friend move. he gave me the speakers. they were to powerful for his smaller place.they sound great and the price was right. yes they kick.

[Feb 14, 2013]
Vanessa Collins
Audio Enthusiast

18 years ago I walked into Circuit City to treat myself to the best sounding speakers without concern for cost and after four hours of sampling every speaker they had to offer, I put down 500.00 dollars on a pair of DCM's , a brand that was unknown to me and I've never regretted that purchase. These speakers have been through the wars with me. Through three husbands,four kids, cross-country moves, houses,apartments,storage,and even mom's basement. Finally, last year I gave them a make-over with some paint and recovered the screens with some beautiful fabric to match my bedroom and they sound as great today as the day I bought them. In fact, it wasn't a little more than a month ago that they brought the cops to my door once again as they have done through out years. They are a part of my family and I treasure them more than any piece of furniture or art work that I own. So in summation, I would recommend to anyone contemplating a purchase, look no further, DCM's are the ones you want from one who knows.

[Nov 21, 2010]
freakygeek
Audio Enthusiast

I got these speakers the other day used for $20 at a garage sale, and they are worth FAR more than that! They sound great, even hooked up to my cheap Sony all-in-one receiver. The only thing to complain about is that the tweeters are very bright, but they can be toned down with equalization. Bass is heavy, mids are clear, and the highs are great when toned down a little. Using lamp wire at the moment, but will hook them up with 12 gauge wire soon. They are great speakers overall, with great sound for rock, heavy metal, blues, even some jazz. Not as good as speakers costing 5 times as much or more, but as budget speakers they rock!

[Jul 22, 2010]
Charee
Audio Enthusiast

I've had my DCM KX 10's for at least 10 years... They are the best speakers I've owned. I've had Yamaha, Denon, etc.... I always go back to my DCM's I purchased from Circuit City back in the day. Still pumping the good tunes clearly!

[Sep 23, 2009]
billy
Audio Enthusiast

i must say i found these speakers in the garbage i looked at them and said something must be wrong with them because the box and grille and speakers were in great shape so i figured why not ill try them so i took them home and pluged them to my kenwood reciever and prepared myself for the worst but when i turned them on it was amazing i could not believe the sound i actually left them hooked up and put my infinitys that cost me 600 $ in my bedroom i could not belive someone would trow them away well anyway i would totally recomend them to anyone if you can find them i would say buy them i would i would pay 300 for them easy

[Dec 30, 2007]
QUALITYTRONICS1
Audio Enthusiast

I purchased these speakers on e-bay only because:
1. I accidentally ran across them.
2. The auction was only at $19 when I ran into it.
3. They were located 10 min. from my home!
Well I got to tell you, when I first saw them in person they seemed a bit smaller than when I saw the pictures on the listing. So anyhow I took them home cleaned them up and hooked them up to my Yamaha RX-V750. Absolutely amazing! I could not believe the sound that came out of these speakers. I have driven them to extremes and they never fail to perform. Super clear clean sound, the bass is excellent, not to boomy or tight, the mids are clear and the highs are crisp not flat. After cleaning them up, they look new, the cabinets are clean with no scratches or dents, the grills are super clean with no snaggs or tears. All in all I got a super deal! I highly recommend these speakers, I would pay $200 if I were to not have them and run into them!

Similar Products Used:

Klipsch--Infinity--Paradigm

4 STARS GIVEN DUE TO OTHER SPEAKERS THAT WILL OUTPERFORM THESE SPEAKERS, BUT PLEASE NOTE: IN ANOTHER VALUE LEVEL.

[Nov 26, 2003]
Boozerocket
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

outstanding value, great match for warm tube gear

The top end can be shrill, but this is only at high volume. Considering the price, I wouldn't call this a weakness at all.

I purchased these speakers new about seven years ago. They were part of a decent system consisting of an Adcom preamp and an old school Parasound amp. I never had any complaints with them, but never really appreciated them until I began upgrading my system. I made the jump into high dollar hi-fi. The DCM's were the last component to be upgraded. I would upgrade a component as I could afford it, and with every step, I expected the inexpensive DCM's to show there true cheapo colors. The colors they showed however were nothing but impressive. These speakers have always been a little shrill on the top end at high volumes and the mid range leaves a little to be desired, but they NEVER embarrassed themselves, even with the high coin components they were attached to. I now have them paired with a Dynaco ST70 and a PAS preamp. The lush Dynaco gear fattens up the midrange and tames the top end. With tube gear, these speakers sound great. I understand that DCM is no longer the same company and these speakers are no longer available. I am sure these could be picked up used fairly cheap. If you can find them for around $100, it's a no brainer, pick 'em up!

[Sep 27, 2003]
Boomzilla
AudioPhile

Strength:

Smooth frequency response from about 38 hz on up with great detail and dynamics. High sensitivity means low power is adequate. Good dynamics at both low and high volumes. Plays loudly without breakup. Careful placement can allow good sound with cheap receivers, but the speakers can reveal the glory of high-quality electronics (including tube units). Bargain price for the quality of sound that you get.

Cheap finish and cabinets (but they don't sound as cheap as they look). Heavy design is intended for floor placement, but doesn't work best on the floor unless tilted back. Stand mounting is a good alternative, but stands need to be VERY heavy and sturdy to support these monsters. I think this speaker is discontinued. The grilles don't help the sound much. The horn tweeter can be bright when paired with bright transistor electronics (Onkyo, etc.). Ported design loses control of the woofer below about 35 hz, meaning that either a subsonic filter or a subwoofer should be used if low frequencies are present.

WOW! I've had just about every speaker brand and price range over the past 30 years, and the DCM KX10s (version II) are a SUPERB speaker. They do NOT boom in the bass, the treble is NOT bright (unless your electronics are), and the midrange has more detail than my $600 mini-monitors with subwoofer. If you want the best of these, pair them with a vacuum tube amp! The tubes warm up the midrange enough so that the "coolness" you hear with cheap receivers goes away completely. Obviously, these speakers don't go into the infrasonic range, so I still use my M&K subwoofer, but they mate up just fine with no midbass gap in the response. The cabinets are the worst of particle board, but they still don't seem to vibrate as I expected them to. I'm using IXOS speaker cables (similar to Kimber 4TC), and getting great sound. I expected the horns to provide really ragged treble, but at reasonable listening levels, they are smooth, clean, and detailed. I don't play at "annoy the neighbors" levels unless I'm playing Mahler or organ music, but even at high levels, I have no complaint with these. They either need to be tilted back or placed on 12-18" stands so that the midrange/treble drivers are at ear level. The speakers are big, bulky, and cheaply made but WOW do they sound great! I don't know how DCM did this with the price they charged for the speaker. This must be either a tour-de-force of slick design or heavenly fortuitous circumstance. Bravo DCM!

Similar Products Used:

JBL L-36 (10" 3-way), JBL 4301b (8" 2-way), Energy Audissey 3_2 (bidirectional 6.5" 2-way), Krix Equinox (5.5" 2-way), Dahlquist DQ-10a (10" 5-way), Energy AC-300 (5.5" 2-way), Klipsch Heresy (12" 3-w

[Dec 20, 2002]
srt10
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Phenomenal sound, superb price, outstanding value, unmatched performance and sound dispersion

Low quality veneer cabinets.

I have the DCM KX10 Series II. Before I bought these speakers, I shopped extensively and drove the people crazy at Circuit City and several other stores because I would sit in their sound room, and switch back and forth between several speakers for hours on end. I would gradually eliminate one speaker model and then another until it was the DCM and one other brand was left. One thing that helped make the choice for me was that even at the lowest volume, these speakers still deliver true sound and audible bass. Several other models and brands lost clarity and their bass at low levels. Not these. In addition to that, I turned these speakers up so loud that I thought my ears were going to burst and they still delivered crisp, clean and true sound. The highs, mids and lows are distinctly there. They are not muddled together. For the price I paid, 280 dollars for the pair, you could not find a better speaker. I compared this speaker with others that were priced above 400 each and these still beat them out for purity of sound. Even four years later, I still like to sit down, put on a good piece of music and turn up the volume and let the music drown everything else out. The unfortunate side of this story is that DCM sold out to another company, I don't remember to whom. After this, their speakers went south. I went and looked at some recently and they were "junk" compared to the ones they used to make. I am looking for a set of KX 2 12 Series II if anyone is selling them. These are similar to the ones I have but they have two 12 Inch Woofers in place of the single 10 Inch that mine have. If you run across a set of KX10 Series II for sale, snatch them up.