Dahlquist DQ-10 Floorstanding Speakers

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 23, 2017]
drummer
AudioPhile

I have a pioneer vsx-47tx will this sound good and be able to drive the dahlquist dq10s ?

[Nov 26, 2016]
ohjamey

hello there

I have never used mydahlquest dc 10s
traded them from jahamal wilks the bb player in 1985 for a rolex datejust still in boxes never used after reading about how great they are going to get my tunbe amp and sit back and hear the great things you folks have to say God bless!!!!!

[May 18, 2015]
Today
AudioPhile

DQ10's have a great history and I would personally like to thank all the people who made it possible. I now have all the different models made, My 1st pair were in 1975, the red wire single crossover, 2nd pair 1977, with black and purple metal cap's, the 3rd pair with yellow caps, the newer crossover and reverse wired for imaging, the 4th pair and the 5th pair were of the last run set where the serial number are on the dial area which also has a smaller wire size hookup, the 6,s set were from 80's. Being a DIY myself , I have found these speaker are reasonable to purchase and make repairs too. I have upgraded all the set's to A like kind and mod's to match making some small changes . DQ10's are some of the best sounding speakers that are still talking today. I believe there were about 57,000 pairs made before the DQ10's were stopped . And yes these speakers require a true powerful amp to make them bark but not over 200 watts. Just amazing and still listening daily, tho the wife is clueless.

[Apr 10, 2015]
Tomcat
AudioPhile

Once upon a time, there was a high end stereo shop in my home town. The repair guy was and is an absolute genius. He designed and built custom 5 way crossovers for the DQ-10. The company actually marketed these upgrades for quite a while. I have the pair that he built originally during design work and put in his own living room. They are flawless.
Yes they require power... yes the power must be clean.
Yes, you can improve the overall sound quality by adding subwoofers, mine are Dahlquist DQ-1Ws... a pair of them. These have been in the listening room of any home I have lived in for over a quarter of a century. They will not be replaced.
Setup you ask?
Preamp is the Phase Linear 4000 series two. Downstream from that is an original Dahlquist active crossover. The high end once went to a Phase Linear Dual 500... old buddy talked me out of that one. Now a Hafler 500. Clean power & great response. The bass goes to a Yamaha P7000S. Muscle on the bottom end that is clean at a good price.
I would not trade the speakers for the world. The woofers in the DQ-10s have been redone... and that is all.
Love the imaging. Had them in a living room once... and could not get the drummer out of the fireplace.

[Mar 16, 2015]
Marcus Kelly
Audio Enthusiast

I can only concur fully with all the comments below. Especially Paul. I have had my DQ10's since they fisrt came out in 1975, I have yet to have found something that equally matches them with out going the top of the range B&W. As technology has moved forward there are some amazing products out there like new bookshelf Bosten's A26 & CS26. But I always go back to the DQ10 for reference of what the perfect sound should sound like. I have moved on with my amp, from a massive 200W unit, which sadly packed up after 35 years to a new Rotel 60W. A very good combination if loud volume is not important. I am looking for a spare No.2 tweeter. it seems to be the only weaknes in the 5, I have blown one in all the time I have had them. For anyone who wants the ultimate listening expereince, get a second pair and stack them, with the top one upside down on the other in alignment. Use huge amps. You will hear the sound of your life, only a live concert can reproduce. Marcus RSA.

[Nov 10, 2012]
Paul
AudioPhile

I've owned this speaker since 1978 and cannot think of letting them go. I think they will be buried with me.

My pair have been "around the block" as they say. The bases / stands were destroyed when I have a flood in my basement but I still have them.

These are amazing speakers and still sound great after all these years. I have a different woofer in them currently but will be sending them out for rebuild to Miller Sound soon.

I cannot part with them. Find a pair, check them out, and if they are good buy them....

[Mar 18, 2012]
Niccolosito
Audio Enthusiast

I just keep going back to my DQ-10s. My other choice is a pair of Vandy CE2 Sigs which are great speakers in their own right. But what actually makes these speakers sound so good to my ears is the Sonic Hologram switch on my Carver C4000. The sound stage is widened beyond belief it seems 3 dimensional. This SH circuitry expands the sound coming from any pair of speakers with the possible exception of direct/reflecting speakers like Bose 901's but the 10's just seem to do it more effectively. This may sound like a commercial for the SH but the DQ-10's just seem to do it better than the other speakers and I have 4 other sets.

[Jan 07, 2011]
Laidbacklarry
Audio Enthusiast

I GOT LUCKY and found a Pair of Dahlquist DQ 10's with Pedestals at a Local Goodwill For a Whoppin 6.88 each
for a Total of 14.45 With TAX
and What an Investment
Had to laugh when My friend who brought me said you are not going to get those in my Vehicle
I said ok watch me
So she than twisted it to what do you need them for
I simply said if you knew what they were you would not even ask that
WOW!!!
A Bit Weak In the Bass But Normal for these
I have them matched with another Pair Of OLM Walsh 3XO that I bought for as well a WHOPPIN 50.00 for the pair
They match VERY WELL

[Oct 18, 2010]
Paul Moore
AudioPhile

I purchased these speakers off CL a couple days ago for $350 so my experience with them is somewhat limited, but this level of auditory quality is rare (and absolutely criminal at this price point), so here I am writing this review...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Oh, and did I say WOW!? But before I define what "WOW!" means, I should mention which DQ-10s I have since it seems to make a bit of a difference. I have the mirror imaged type with the large yellow capped crossovers. I have them blue tacked to a pair of sand filled dual pillared Target stands about 27 inches off the floor. I have them as fronts in my HT system with no center (no room) and ADS L570s as rears with a modest Mirage subwoofer (need a better one, but still serviceable). They are powered by a Yamaha RX-V4600 surround sound receiver putting out an honest 110 watts @ 8 ohms (a VERY highly rated receiver that pushes a fair amount of current. It originally sold for $1900 a few years back). My source is a PS3 running blu-ray movies set to their lossless audio track. BTW, I also have a vintage 1979 Pioneer SX-1080 receiver (a VERY honest 120 watts per @ 8 ohms) that I plan to try with the DQ-10s. I'll do another review at a later date with that one though. Many here are pushing far more wattage through their DQ-10s, but I am here to tell you that you don't HAVE to have that much power to reach audio nirvana. I'll no doubt acquire more power later (probably stay with solid state power mated to a nice tube preamp), but for now, I have no complaints whatsoever. Now to that definition of "WOW!"...

Open, airy, smooth, dynamic, musical, rhythmic, delicate, forceful, sweet, ultra-detailed, expansive, HUGE soundstage, intoxicating, pleasant, unfatiguing, friendly, forgiving (I might modify this opinion with more 2 channel listening, but for now...), soulful, layered, complicated, honest, lush, neutral, engaging, and just plain wonderful! I have never heard a speaker that does so much so right... at ANY price much less at anywhere near 350 clams! These DQ-10s are easily the best audio speaker I've ever owned and one of the finest I've ever heard. I don't make it a habit of auditioning speakers I can't afford, but I have heard and owned some damn fine speakers in my time, but these Dahlquists are legendary for VERY good reason and sit solidly on the top of the heap! I am totally befuddled as to why they command so little on the used marketplace, but I can tell you I literally giggled all the way to the bank/ATM. Are you beginning to see what "WOW!" means?

I would be a little worried about this review costing me $$$ (I plan to get another pair someday) except that these speakers have been around for decades. Perhaps it's their square face or odd size or that they suck watts up and beg for more, but at the end of the day, It's all about the sound, and these jewels deliver the goods in a mile long freight train! Just keep dissing them you guys... at least until I get my second pair! lol

Legendary... yes, that just about sums it up. :-)

[Mar 01, 2010]
Macnut
AudioPhile

I bought my 10's new in 1980. I would not trade them for anything else. Like mentioned in other reviews you HAVE to have some major power to drive them, and a subwoofer is a almost a necessity for complete dynamic range. Until recently I was driving mine for the last 28 years with a Mcintosh MC2200. I first had a Phase liner 400 but kept frying it up and blowing fuses in the DQ's. Ever since I bought the Mac I never had either problem. I had just recently added a second MC2200 and ran each one mono into each speaker, the DQ's eat every watt of power but sing like never before. the rest of my stuff is a Mcintosh C32 preamp and a Sony XA777ES (which i just got) and the key to the system a Velodyne DD15 subwoofer. I would never replace the dq's but do want to move up to a C40 preamp and a MC352 amp. As far as upgrading the speakers I was lucky and found rebuilt woofers on e-bay @ $139 per pair and had replaced the capaciators with new Solens for about $120.00 so if your a litte handy It does'nt cost a lot to bring them back to their new origional splendor.