Cerwin Vega VS 150 Floorstanding Speakers

VS 150

Bass reflex - 15" woofer, 6.5" mid, 1" tweeter

Steve   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 01, 2018]

I have owned Klipshorns jbl l100s etc but my cv vs 150s excel in all things musical. I love them either low in volume or wake the dead loud. They are currently powered by a pair of Ati 1502s and i have no intention of ever replacing them. Highly recommended

Nathan   AudioPhile [Jun 04, 2016]

I have had these speaker for over 20 years now and they sound just as amazing as the day that I bought them, better even now that the speakers are well broken in. Listen to all types of music but mainly rock n roll as god intended lol....simply one of the best purchases I have ever made...i paid over a thousand dollars 20 years ago which for me was a huge deal but they were worth every penny and continue to rock to this day....I love my Cerwins and would never part with them...

Patrick   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 30, 2015]

AWESOME! is all I can say about the VS-150's. You definitely need to feed them at least 150 watts to get the best sound. They will play very well with a smaller amp but the more power the better. I am using a Kenwood KR-9600 which puts out 160 watts per chanel and they sound great even at low volumes. I hear all the people who love KLIPSCH talk about the tweeters not being very clear and that these are basicly a garage, party speaker. I couldnt disagree more. I own a pair of KLIPSCH Heresy, and KLIPSCH KG 4'S. The Cerwin Vega VS 150's stack up to these and put out a fantastic sound. The BASS is awesome and no sub woofer is needed. My Klipsch need a sub to compliment them. I guess it is the type of music I like that makes me a big fan of the Cerwin Vega VS 150's. I love 70's FUNK and FUNK n ROLL I call it. The CARS, DAZZ BAND, etc. anything with a good beat. Oh well that is my two cents. I highly recommend these you will not regret it. Only down side is the Cheezy cabinets. I am going to put new Maple Veneer over the top of the existing cabinets and poly them natural. Peace Out.

Craig   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 14, 2015]

I purchased a pair of Cerwin Vega VS150s at a garage sale. I hooked them up to my Pioneer SX-1250 and they sound good until the volume gets to about 1/3 when the Bass really kicks in all of a sudden I have these LOUD "Pop" or "snap" sounds coming out with every kick of Bass. Just so disappointed I don't know what to do. Is it the cabinets being loose although I can't see if the backs are loose or not. Is it the receiver itself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I can feel that Bass starting to tremble the floor and I want to just rock the f@#k right out but can't! Ugh! Help!

David H   Audio Enthusiast [May 12, 2015]

I was lucky and picked these up at a yard sale for $10.
Thought I would strip them and sell parts. Once I tested them, wow!!
I have serial # 06 and 07.
You need space to play these. I live on an acre so I don't bother anyone
and don't let them breathe when the wife is home.
I have run them on a 77 Sony 100 watt amp (silver), a JBL pro amp 300 watt and
currently a 160 watt Luxman receiver. I never get over 40% since they are so loud,
yet clear. Bass is fantastic but mids and highs can be overpowering also.
These are 4 ohm and need a real power source, not a AV modern receiver unless built
for 4 ohm load.
I have a large room, about 34 by 30.
I'm running B&W DM14's on the other side when I want a change. (Less volume/wife home)
I've been through 40 speaker sets and the VS-150's are keepers.!

Rune   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 01, 2015]

i have cerwin vega vs 150 too its best to use 5ampere slow blow they play good lows and i am gonna have them all my life de bad ting is my tweeters are blown so i have to get new tweeters and refoam or a recone set and an stronger amp an i got the new sl5m by cerwin-vega so i got tweets till i got vs-150 tweets then its good i love this series best <3

rick   Casual Listener [Oct 20, 2014]

anyone know the correct fuse to put in the cerwin vs 150 .great speakers but when I turn my amp to about 50% they loose there highs and it almost sounds muffeled or like they go mono ..I hook up my other cerwins 12s and not a problem ..I think I have a slow blown 3amp fuse in them .. and this might be the issue anyones help would be greatly appreciated

Daniel Baumgartner   AudioPhile [Apr 21, 2013]

I've blasted these speakers With a techniques home Pro logic Dolby surround sound amplifier at 115 W per channel since 1997 they had never failed me diffuses only blown two times in the last 20 years these speakers rock! Cerwin Vega knows how to make a speaker!

In high school I use these in a theater at the Plano East senior high school theater to power and entire show Bayrock the whole theater that seats 2000 people these two Cerwin Vega VS 150 home floorstanding speakers they rock

thatguy   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 20, 2012]

Nice sounding speakers. I've had them hooked up to a sony ta-4650 v-fet, a 70's rotel receiver (model forgotten) and a nad 3020. With all these amps rated at 40w rms or less the cerwins went very loud. They sounded pretty good too, especially on the rotel.

I scored a Carver tfm-55x (500w per channel into 4ohms) and am using the nad 3020 as a pre-amp. Now these speakers are sounding awesome no matter what volume they are played at. I like to listen to all sorts of music, Cat Stevens, Skrillex, old school R&B, Eva Cassidy, Tool, and they all sound good. The extra current and amps make these things sound really good. The arrangement in my lounge is far from optimal, I am not allowed to put them where I want them because the boss won't allow it so as far as imaging, soundstage and all that stuff is concerned I can't really comment. But tonally, they sound great. I have owned B&W, and Mission speakers that I really liked but there is a fullness to the sound of these Cerwins that I really appreciate. Sometimes I like to just crank it and feel my internal organs bounce too.

Btw, thanks to all the previous reviewers as I based my purchasing decision on these reviews and was definitely not let down. I will be passing these down to whichever of my kids takes me in when I get old (that way I can still listen to them).

Dan Doyle   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 31, 2012]

I have had these awesome VS-150 speakers for about 20 years and I have never had to do anything except replace a fuse or two within that time. These have been rocking my house for many years. The speakers still sound great and the cabinets are made extremely well. At the time I paid about $800 and that was the best investment I ever made. Truly a great speaker and would recommend these for anyone with the love of loud music but these are definitely not for apartments or condos unless you want to get kicked out.